Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• pv7721
    pv7721 Posts: 151 ✭✭

@Ant1 : one must not forget that after all TV is nothing but a company, not a benefactor, and they answer only to their shareholder who want money in return for their investment. And of course you would ask any company that would you want to behave unethically, 100% of them would reply, via their PR, "No, of course not!" And in reality, as your example showed, it was borderline ethic (to use an euphemism).

What I don't understand about your use case: you said you use TV for a meeting, but normally there are quite a few products out there that are not direct TV competitor which do just that: audio and video meeting, even with screen sharing. Why didn't you use one of that, most of them are free of charge, no nagging whatsoever.

• Ant1
    Ant1 Posts: 28

The reason that I don't use another product was because I was originally using the free version of TeamViewer and then 10 minutes before a critical meeting when I tried to start TeamViewer it cut me off without notice saying I had to upgrade to the paid version to continue.

The meeting was really important and I didn't know of any other software so I just paid so I could attend the meeting. I am regretting that decision now.

• Kylian01
    Kylian01 Posts: 31 ✭✭

with a credit card you shut be protected against those things. with a credit card you can force it to cancel to take money

• JackHK
    JackHK Posts: 86

Please fill in the form and wait! Good luck!

• JackHK
    JackHK Posts: 86

Totally agreed!

• QT-Pro
    QT-Pro Posts: 6 ✭✭

@da9el84 wrote:

as price/functionality is superior to all other alternatives.

You obviously have not looked at all the alternatives. The one that most people who were victims of TeamViewer's false commercial use accusations have gone to has all the functions of TV, is still free for personal use, and is actually easier to use.

I have only been using it for a couple of weeks but I'm pleased to say that is has not dropped a connection so far and performance is good even in full screen mode.

• Kylian01

i am curius in how many people have this problen and who gets help and who does not i made a poll for this

http://www.strawpoll.me/18113083

• Kylian01

Hello I have noticed a ton of people have a problem with the "commercial use suspection error" and are not receiving any help what so ever (including myself) even after filling out the form where you explain the problem but you do not receive any reaction if they agree or not.

This poll includes the following questions

Yes Commercial Use Suspected! And no help was given
    No "Commercial Use Suspected!" error
    Yes Commercial Use Suspected! And help was given

Maybe we can get Teamviewers attention this way and I hope they will see they are destroying the personal user base
    Don't get me wrong I love teamviewer I use it a lot for personal use but now I am stuck getting kicked out after 1min and have to way 15min so totally unusable

http://www.strawpoll.me/18113083

• pv7721

@Kylian01 : I went to see your poll, but I'm afraid I didn't quite catch it, what is it that you want to know with it?

• Kylian01
    I made a new podt in the generel section here that will explain it
  • da9el84
    da9el84 Posts: 7 ✭✭

If you are talking about **Third Party Product**, then I dont agree. Haven't had great results, unstable, sluggish and fullscreen doesn't work in a virtual machine apparently.

• Kylian01
    Still better then geting kicked out after 1min and need ti wait 15 to conect for 1min again
  • pv7721

well if you ask our big friend (brother?) you may find how to maybe alleviate your issue, I think it might be even shown in a YouTube video

• Kylian01

there is a big problem with those called solution.

By chaning your MAC aderes you also change the teamviewer ID in my case i can not do this becouse it would mean i have to re add all my personal computters friens PC servers ETC

i have some personal servers with a cople of VMs i use to mess around with and there is no way i can change all those mac aderesses

• pv7721

I just said it had the merit to exist, I haven't used it myself (as I've said it before, for a while I tried the workaround of using version 9, but it started receiving warnings there as well, then it has got obsoleted).

• Hi, it's great to have a supportive knowledgable team.
    I use Teamviewer in a church context and as a volunteer, usually to fetch something off one machine to do something on another one e.g. if it's faster and to hand hold my friends in church, some of them quite old. But recently I keep being told that I am operating commercially, which I am definately not, as I get no remuneration for it.

I have filled in a very detailed form outlining exactly and for each machine what happens, but haven't had neither positive nor negative acknowledgement. As a volunteer e.g. to carry out some extra tweeks e.g. to OBS I can't spend hours down at the church, whereas with TV I could fit things around and from home.
    I've tried phoning, both the English and the German office, but if you use the free version of TV there is no way to talk to anyone and explain, only the form and by all accounts by others on the internet it appears a pointless excercise. :-(
    (my email: [email removed by moderator])

• No they don't send an email.

They also don't respond to the form either.

People reporting waits of 6 months, 4 Weeks then sending again, etc.

I'll be looking at other products when I get chance and I'd advise you to do the same.

I've been waiting about 4 Weeks at this point.
  • LaBarata
    LaBarata Posts: 2

Out of nowhere yesterday, Teamviewer has decided that I'm only allowed a few minutes of use at a time, which is REALLY inconvenient if I'm trying to do something on any kind of time crunch (i.e. while I'm stopped somewhere on wifi)

What gives??

• LaBarata
    LaBarata Posts: 2
    I was using it on mobile, and it opened Safari at one point to a page like that; I pleaded my case there.

Thank you!
  • QT-Pro

With over 2000 personal users complaining they still are unable to use the Teamviewer software due to being falsely accused of commercial use, and no solution from the company other than to upgrade to a commercial license, perhaps someone could tell me why this thread is marked as SOLVED?

• Kylian01

Idk i would **bleep** ask teamviewer but oh wait they dont care....

• pv7721

@QT-Pro: actually, for them it's "solved" meaning that whenever you get the warning / false accusation etc. all you have to do is to fill the form and wait, and wait, and wait... and wait some more, and maybe getting an answer back... or maybe not, or maybe being asked to sign and scan a form etc. etc.

• da9el84
    da9el84 Posts: 7 ✭✭

Could we please have a member of Teamviewer comment on the large part of the userbase being suspected of commercial activity on their private teamviewer?

I myself was hit by this last year, I sent in the form and my license was once again "private".

Then a month ago I was asked to start a new trial, even though I have probably had this private license for 10 years or so. Trial expired and I logged out from teamviewer, logged back in and my old "private" status was back. A few days later I started seeing notifications about commercial use suspected and my teamviewer sessions now was limited and hasn't been working since.

I sent in the form again. I sent logs. I sent a signed paper confirming that I am indeed only using my teamviewer license for non commercial use, primarily remote controlling my own devices, and occassionally helping a few friends and my grandmother.

I sent in the signed paper almost a month ago. No auto-reply from "[email protected]" to indicate whether or not it was received and what the expected timeline for handling it. Follow up emails have gone unanswered too.

I know this is a free edition - your free edition is what got me to get a paid edition when I started my own company nearly 10 years ago.

Idea: If you are worried about abuse, then offer a private paid version. Something like 10USD  per year and then restrict it to only be able to connect to 10 different devices per month.

Or you need better metrics to identify your commercial use parameters. Seeing the giant 3000+ replies thread in her about the subject, something would suggest that your parameters are due for a tuneup.

• QT-Pro

With all due respect, that is NOT a solution.
    Here is a list of potential solutions as an example:
    1. Alter the algorithm so that it more accurately identifies commercial use and restore full functionality to personal users.
    2. Remove the algorithm to prevent falsely accusing personal users of commercial use and restore full functionality.
    3. Remove the personal use option from the website and move to a paid license only version.

The company is fully within its rights to not provide support services to free users but they are not within their rights to advertise a personal use version only to use it as clickbait by accusing the personal user as being dishonest due to commercial usage. To make such an accusation requires that they prove commercial use. While that may be possible for some users, it should prove very difficult, nigh impossible, for those adhering to the company's terms of service.

• pv7721

@QT-Pro : I never said this was the solution, I just said it was theirs... 

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 10 ✭✭

And now i am getting the issue again, one the same machines as last time.

• pv7721

@idiocracy : I'm not sure if you got that, but technically you have to fill the form for each and every TVID you're connecting to / from because one can be reset to free, but you might still get the warning for another one.

• QT-Pro

@pv7721 wrote:

@QT-Pro : I never said this was the solution, I just said it was theirs... 

Don't worry, I'm talking out aloud in a vain attempt to get the company to revise its ridiculous and likely illegal, practices.

• pv7721

@QT-Pro : please don't waste your precious time, it's futile. I mean come on, for how long this thread has been opened it has been said and resaid, on official and unofficial channels, but there's still no change. Posting every minute won't help, but I think that there were some suggestion that this issue be made more visible, maybe things will change then...