Thank you for playing fair

Options

Comments

• Tom874564
    Tom874564 Posts: 1
    Options

I do like the explanation that use in an university context is commercial, as someone has to pay for attending uni... Well, I'm paying rent for my flat, hence the use of TV from here would be commercial as well?

It is ridiculous to suspect everybody of cheating...

• frengo
    frengo Posts: 1
    Options

I must say that Teamviewer is for me the best remote control software I have been using for over 10 years. My use is almost always to assist relatives who are not familiar with PCs or to connect with my other PCs that I have in another home. However, it had never happened to me to receive the message of suspicious commercial use, except in one case last year, in which the connections lasted hours instead of minutes, unlocked by filling in the appropriate form.

My question is':

What usage model should I have in order not to even risk receiving the suspicious commercial use message?

Do I have to have short connections?

How long?

Do I have to connect to another PC for, for example, max 30 minutes a day?

Or should I total, for example, no more than 10 hours per month in total?

Or is there a fixed maximum number of connections in a day (or a week) that must not be exceeded?

THANK YOU

• davidmm2022
    davidmm2022 Posts: 1
    edited September 2022
    Options

I just signed up to use the software on my personal computers and was stopped straight away. I don't own a business. I pressed one button to check that the remote connection worked and was instantly stopped. My first impression was a deep feeling of violation because I was not aware that by using the software I am under surveillance. I am deeply angered by this! Second, based on the very long and meandering wall of words, I get the impression that this is experimental (probably some AI training thing; ML/deep learning) that is getting trained on unsuspecting users without prominent notice before installing the software. If my suspicion is correct, I don't want to be a guinea pig without an explicit request for my consent when agreeing to use your private-use software. Third, I cannot use software laced with a creepy AI that cannot seem to get its heuristics right.

This isn't cool. I'm uninstalling TeamViewer and I will find another way because something about your means has an unethical rub in terms of prominently placed notice and consent to be surveilled and disclosing how you do it and with what data. I just needed a quick solution for my family's use. Your software is absolutely creepy and disturbing. An ethical threshold was transgressed somewhere during the pandemic such that remote work software companies have adopted a panopticon business model. Y'all have lost your way. Your software, even for private use, is not free. And you know what I mean by that. It costs in data. Not cool!

• elementaltm
    Options

@JeanK Hi, the link to "Request reset for an expired trial" is broken please can you provide a working link?

Thanks in advance.

• tafkaFP
    tafkaFP Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I get to the page and fill out all fields and sign, but the "Generate & Upload PDF" button does nothing. I have tried this 7 or 8 times on Firefox and Edge - same result.

• LePoll
    LePoll Posts: 1
    Options

My wife is stuck in a hospital bed and using the free wifi provided for patients. Trying to sort a problem out on her android phone has triggered 'commercial use detected' - same thing happened last time she admitted to hospital and by the time you round to unblocking things after submitting the form she was already home.

Why is that considered 'commercial use' ? really unfair!

• Andrew_123
    Andrew_123 Posts: 1
    Options

It appears TeamViewer is being used in a commercial environment

MY TEAMVIEWER IS NOT BEING USED IN A COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT! I AM USING IT AT HOME ON MY PRIVATE COMPUTER TRYING TO HELP MY ELDERLY FAMILY MEMBERS. WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME UPGRADE? CAN I USE YOUR FREE VERSION OR NOT? THANKS!

• phsiii
    phsiii Posts: 1
    Options

I use TV about once a year, and this time it said "Commercial use". I did the reset thing, but it wasn't clear how to find the numeric IDs. I put in one, but suspect I needed to put in two. I guess I'll find out. Anyway, the reset page might should explain how to find the IDs.

• BeeYell
    BeeYell Posts: 1
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi.

My Mother-in-law needed help for something that I couldn't fix when I was helping my father-in-law last time because it timed out again after 2 minutes or less.

I tried to reset (again, after having done it a month ago) and the PDF I downloaded had the information I filled out a month ago. I couldn't make any changes....There's only one number on it. How do I even make this change? Do I need to?

There are two kinds of people I use this with, and I think they're both considered private: 1) my 80+ year-old in-laws;

and

2) other older people in the community who I can't go help in person due to health concerns (usually theirs and Covid), and who aren't able to figure out easy steps on the phone like "move to the round icon on the top of the screen and pull it down to click on the area around the icon where it probably says preferences."

I know there's only so much complaining one rightly can do for a free product, but you've asked for information, I've given what I could given the instructions at the time that seemed about right, I never got a response from your team after a month, and the reset didn't seem to work.

Your software can auto-accuse me of violating an agreement all it wants to, but that simply means: 1) The lack of consistency and oversight doesn't give me much confidence in the product when it comes to recommending it at work for sharing screens with clients and overseas colleagues;

and

2) It's not really hurting me, but the neighborhood older people are hearing "I can't help you, sorry" a lot more than they used to from me. I don't know...maybe I should look at that as a silver lining for me since while I can't fix their issues anymore for them, I don't have to spend the time to help some out...being a good samaritan is time consuming.

• qcisfirst
    qcisfirst Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

This is ironic. I completed the reset once before and yet I still have been tagged as commercial. I have gone months without using this app, but there are times my dad asks for some assistance. So my question is, is it worth doing the reset, again? I have never received remuneration using the app. The people I have assisted in the past were over ten years older. I am now over sixty -five.

• mhuizenga15
    mhuizenga15 Posts: 1
    Options

Like so many others, my teamviewer access was revoked because they suspected commercial usage. I only use it to help my 90 year old father when he has issues with his computer. This happens maybe a few times a month, maybe once a month? It depends on how confused he is at the time. I filled out a form and it says it's going to take 7 days to respond. So that mean my father won't be able to get on his email for another week. He's already called me 3 times since he first called this morning. @Esther can I give him your phone number?

There has to be a better way. I'm not sure what you think I'm doing that makes it commercial, but it's wrong.

• JFFOLEYIV
    JFFOLEYIV Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Esther, one detail that might benefit this post is an estimate of the time frames involved in this process. My last lockout was years ago. I don't remember many of the details. When this most recent lockout occurred a few months ago I just didn't have the time to beg for usage back, even though I have been a loyal TeamViewer-ER for, gosh, a few decades. So I quickly switched to **Third Party Product** to continue to help my family and use my PC outside my home. Today I finally got around to filling out the form, but I have no idea how long to wait before asking again, trying something else, or resigning myself to use the competition.

• jgobrien1770
    jgobrien1770 Posts: 1
    Options

I filled out the form over a week ago and still haven't heard anything back. I thought it was supposed to be taken care of within a week but I haven't heard anything and my Teamviewer still says the "commercial use suspected".

• DaveXTR
    DaveXTR Posts: 1
    Options

Wow! After going through page after page after page of comments about users being suspended because of suspected commercial use I don’t really have much confidence in TV anymore if they can’t accurately distinguish between actual commercial and helping out family and friends and our elderly neighbors. Also the delay in responding to these requests for reset should be an obvious indicator that TV doesn’t care about the free little guys.

• karzai
    karzai Posts: 1
    Options

I am accused of using Teamviewer for commercial use. While I'm at work, I access my home PC to download songs and movies for my own personal use. Upon reading what are considered commercial use, I stumbled upon "Accessing home pc from work PC to access local files". While I understand that under the description, my use is considered commercial. But I find it unfair because I am not deriving any compensation, nor using Team viewer to download files related to my work. I exclusively use Team viewer for personal use and I keep it open all the time but there is only an activity at most 3 in a month. Commercial use means it has something to do with remuneration, or payment, or any compensation, associated with the use of Teamviewer. And I know it is unfair because Team viewer has to pay for engineers to develop the software. I offered to pay for a subscription before, but not the amount that they are asking because I am not making any money out of using Teamviewer.

• bbolhuis
    bbolhuis Posts: 1
    edited June 2023
    Options

List me as someone who has also been convicted of being a TeamViewer criminal for accessing my home computer from work. What a **bleep**! I do that so I can avoid messing up my work computer with personal stuff, not because my company is paying me to do work on my home computer. In fact, they would probably prefer that I don't waste company time accessing my personal equipment while at work. Now that I have been labeled a criminal, I can no longer log into my wife and kid's computers remotely to assist them with issues.

I realize that TeamViewer doesn't make money off me and doesn't really care if I stay or go, but I just wanted them to know that this is the reason I will be finding an alternate product to use. Bye now!

• SeethingSage
    SeethingSage Posts: 1
    edited June 2023
    Options

My account just got flagged too. I added a new gaming PC at home, bringing my total to 5 PCs on my personal/free TeamViewer account. But four of the computers are at my house on the same public IP address, and I have one friend that I help occasionally. That's "Commercial" use?

I considered filling about the form to get my account reset, but I'm not doing that – there are way too many comments here stating how that didn't help at all, or that it only helped temporarily. I need remote access to just work after I install it. So, I'm going to have to pay for it. But because of the headache that you put people through, TeamViewer, and the exorbitant price you want to charge me monthly (especially to access more than three PCs), I'm NOT paying for remote access through you. [removed per Community Guidelines]

Furthermore, I'm the decision-maker (IT Manager) for my current company, just like I was at my last company. A few years ago I considering switching my 2500-seat corporate license at my last company over to TeamViewer, but your enterprise pricing was way too high. I actually inherited TeamViewer as the solution at my current company. But I just canceled it, absolutely due to the hassle I had with my personal account. Congrats TeamViewer, you lost a potential personal sale AND our corporate business! Bye!

• danco29
    danco29 Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

I got an email from you this morning saying that my IDs had been successfully reset to free private use. But when I try to use TV it is still behaving as though one end (the remote one, almost certainly) has not been reset. Has something gone wrong or does it just take more time than I realise for the reset to be recognised by you.

I had thought to do a second request for the remote ID. But when I went to the reset page it did not give me the form to fill in, but just said "your IDs have been reset successfully" (or similar wording)

• PNeuhaus
    PNeuhaus Posts: 1
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi,

I submitted all and was granted. But it does not work:

To whatever computer I connect out of my "computer and contact" list, it is closed.

All these saved computer and contacts are those machines in the family or from me which I connect with. All of them do not have a separate account, they are "only" assigned to my account so that I can login when they leave the machine unattended.

In fact you have not cleared those IDs. I tried to regenerate the PDF to add all of those IDs - but this step is skipped and I can download the old PDF where I stated my account.

Now what shall I do?

It would have been logic and easy to also reset the contact devices assigned to one account. But it seems more like you want to **bleep** of private use because you don't want private use, only you don't want to admit it. Otherwise you would have set up this process properly and not create such a dazzle here since this "automatic detection of business use" with a general suspicion to anyone started. Okay, if the private shall change, there is a free alternative: **bleep**. It is a lot of work to set it up, but it seems I must do it, since I am trying to get the reset working for months.

I trust in your understanding of a **bleep** of private user.

• SebastianNielsen
    Options

What does helping random people on the internet fall under?

like, providing tech support to random users of a forum or community. (which I do not own or have any economical interest in).

Is it commercial use or not?

Acccording to the various "Free usage" pages scattered on your homepage, free usage is limited to "Personal, Family and Friends only", but in the EULA, no such restrictions are mentioned. It just says that if you receive compensation, directly or indirectly, then its commercial usage.

My usage would best fit under point 11, but WITHOUT for a living.

I personally think, that if non-commercial usage is limited to "Personal, Family and Friends only", I think it should be clearly be outlined in the EULA. With a clear definition of different groups.

For example, the groups could be defined as:

"Personal - Devices you own and have bought new for yourself, which is not shared with someone else, and not used for any commercial purposes at any time. Note that a device bought non-new, which have previously been used commercially, is consided non-personal.".

"Family - Persons which your have either a biological or legal relationship with. This includes your wife, but excludes anybody you have met in a chat room online.".

"Friends - A person which you have had a long standing trust, communication and relationship with, online or offline, including but not limited to, roommates, for at least 6 months.".

If you want some legaliese so it fits the EULA.

I guess I have got a "commercial strike" due to have connected to someone's work computer, but when helping random people on the internet, its not my responsibility to check if they are receiving the help for private purposes or receiving the help for commercial purposes. That responsibility falls on those that receives the help, that must follow the EULA from their side.

I can't know if somebody asks for help in a internet forum to help run their company or help run their private life.

As long as I on my side follow the EULA and don't receive compensation, directly or indirectly, or use teamviewer for any work purposes or in work enviroments, I think I should be fine.

• MG010
    MG010 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I did a reset (On all 3 ID's that I use - my phone and my 2 pc's) in the beginning of September and received an email at the 12th that the reset was successfull.

However I still get the message and can only use teamviewer for up to 5 minutes.

When I try to reset again I only get this link to download the PDF of the last reset. Even after clearing cookies and cache, on a different browser and on a different machine.

Thus I have no way to contact TV about this page not working as intended - considering their email suggests sending the form again while this is apparently not possible.

I used this software for over 10 years but it seems that I will have to finally look for an alternative...

• billvjohn
    billvjohn Posts: 1
    Options

Same story here as 15 pages of others in this thread..... I was flagged as "commercial". I submitted the form and it took over a month to get reset. My IDs worked for a while then flagged again. Form submitted a second time but hasn't worked and I can't reasonably use TV due to being kicked off after a minute or so of usage. All of my usage for I think ~20 years has been connecting personal devices from 1 of 3 homes and supporting my 80 year old mother and a couple of other family member's personal computers.

Now when I try to submit the reset form a THIRD time, TV's page will only display: "Thank you, your request was submitted successfully. Please download the generated PDF for your records". I tried from differnet browsers with the same result. When I download the PDF, it's the 2nd reset form that I submitted Sept 24, 2023.

Sad, TV used to work wonderfully. Now, not at all with the Free version. Do they offer a Free version? Yes. Does it work? No.

I'm going to find and pay for an alternative rather than deal with this constantly.

• labo_urban
    labo_urban Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Hi, I am having trouble connecting to my other computer.

I never use TeamViewer for commercial use but the system thought I being using for commercial purpose.

I send a form through account reset link but because I have written in Japanese, when I checked the downloaded pdf, some of the words were garbled and not able to read it.

So, I tried sending it again but it does not allow me.

How could I solve this problem?

Thank you.

• Heikkia
    Heikkia Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

Nice to trust on that TV will work on my 3 week holiday to connect to my home computers in order the help home staying wife, if having any problems with computer. I have few home PCs, and Linux workstation to host OwnCloud for backupping phone pictures etc. and 3 older brothers, who occasionally need remotely some assistance with their computers.

I am retired and living with my pension, and for sure I am not supporting anybody professionally. .

And now, even limited connection, TV tells me:

"Connection blocked after timeout.

Your license limits the maximum session duration to a partner, immediate reconnects are blocked.Please try later or upgrade your license.

Connections to this partner will be blocked until 8:22."

And when I tried to connect at 8:24, it is still blocked and sets a new time until 8:25.

So, now I still have to live about two weeks without a possibility to help my wife if needed or to connect to my home computers if I happen to need some files from there, like some documents for Thai immigration etc. Home is about 8000 km from here, physically getting the files is impossible.

I doubt that my reset inquiry will be processed in 7 days as TV claims.

It is nice to trust something to work and then realize that you should not have trusted it at all.

• goosee007
    goosee007 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

This is becoming very frustrating. What happens if you have devices that you don't use for work at all but for school, helping family and friends? But since post/pre covid, many people were given devices from their employers and have to use we have to use our internet services to connect to the said employer to work but have no teamviewer access on their work computers because locked down by company policy. Are these considered commercial use because you have to use your own ISP to connect to the employer's network we can't have two separate ISP services to connect with one for home and one for your employer. You only have 1 IP provided by the ISP to connect to the internet and don't need TV for work because there is a VPN provided by your employer. I tried filling out the form several times and still get commercial use popups for teamviewer that do not correlate with my employer's devices and software. All my devices are personal use for streaming movies, homework and course study and reading the news. This doesn't make sense at all.

• jc259
    jc259 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I am getting the commercial use suspected alerts (this has happened before in sept) and I used the online form to correct it. I use Teamviewer to help all my family. I am trying to do the online form to reset access but every time I go there it says. "Thank you, your request was submitted successfully. Please download the generated pdf for your records." even though it didn't bring up the form for me to fill out this time so I could submit it. If I click the button to download the form it downloads the old form I did in sept when this happened before. 

• FBP32
    FBP32 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

It's a real shame how TeamViewer deals with this problem, knowing that it's extremely random and wrong.  

• zlawrencekingretired
    Options

I am a 72 year old man who helps 3 other senior citizens and have never ever received any compensation from anyone in my life (I am a retired mediator). I have completed the reset form but on my Windows 11 computer using Chrome AND Bing, the form does not seem to actually complete; at least it provides NO confirmation that my reset request has processed and forwarded a PDF to your license folks. I thought maybe my id was wrong; it is a 9 digit number with spaces between the groups of 3. I desparately need access.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? or does the form get sent and not even confirm my request? Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.