Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• abdulhakeem
    abdulhakeem Posts: 3 ✭✭

I primarily use Teamviewer to manage my Ubuntu home server/HTPC from my other machines (Windows desktop and Linux laptop). However I also occasionally help out family members with tech support.

Been using Teamviewer for quite a long time, but now all of a sudden when I try to connect to my home server, the connection times out after roughly a minute, and then I keep getting "connection blocked after timeout" when trying to reconnect. Even when I wait until the specified time in the message ("connections to this partner will be blocked until 16:21"), it just gets blocked again and the time increases.

I've seen others complaining about this and suggesting the possibility of "commercial use detected", but I haven't gotten any emails or notifications or anything about the "commercial use detected" message so I don't know if that applies to me.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is it just a bug in a new update or something? Maybe Teamviewer thinks that because I'm accessing my personal home Ubuntu server/HTPC that it's commercial use?

• itsjustrobby
    itsjustrobby Posts: 0

This has been happening to me for the past two days

• Smithvilla
    Smithvilla Posts: 1

I'm not! Strictly personal for fantasy baseball. i have already uninstalled and reinstalled. but the connection times out after maybe 5 minutes and a pop up box came up stating that teamviewer doesn't believe i'm playing fair.

The computer in use has been used by my son to access his school, and has been used by my wife to access her adult school, but there's never been any commerical use of this machine.

Help?

• BobM
    BobM Posts: 1
    edited March 2021

I am having the same problem since the last update. Has something changed for free users that they did not tell us about? HELP!!!! I support my 92 year old dad, my 75 Year old Step Mother and My wife through Team viewer. Here are the errors I am getting:

• Bizzybiz
    Bizzybiz Posts: 0

Yes me to. I only get a few seconds to log in then it kicks me out :(

• Ace3x
    Ace3x Posts: 1

I would be able to successfully complete the connection, and see remote desktop. Then in about 10 seconds, the connection get dropped. Getting following error:

Your Teamviewer session has timed out and will be closed

When tried to reconnect, getting following error:

Your license limits the maximum session duration to a partner, immediate reconnects are blocked. Please try later or upgrade your license.

• My user is been locked with the information of comercial use.

I only have personal computers. that is why I select personal use.

How can I resolve this ?

• I am having the same problem, has anyone gotten an answer as to what the problem is? Can I downgrade to an older version?

• MoBe
    MoBe Posts: 0

I have the same issue. Can someone please post a solution to this? Thanks.

• RobertEvans
    RobertEvans Posts: 1

I have used team viewer for 1 other person many times. Now when I connect to that same person, after a few seconds Team Viewer says I've used up my time and ends the session. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

• hey everyone

every time i connect to one of my friends of family members pc with my laptop i get disconnected and then i get an that i am blocked for a certain time until that i cannot connect but it says that i should change my license.

I have the free license.

Please help i don't have this issue with my desktop just my laptop under the same account.

• olson_canadian
    olson_canadian Posts: 2 ✭✭

The same thing started happening to me a few days ago on my laptop. If it isn't getting wrongly flagged for commercial use it's this error. I get like maybe 30 seconds before my connection ends and then I can't use my laptop to connect to any of my other PC's.

I've tried reinstalling TV with Revo uninstaller, but when I reinstall, I have the same issue. This is driving me nuts to the point I am going to look for another remote app if, after getting it fixed, it happens again.

• spruceymaine
    spruceymaine Posts: 0

Same issue. I've filled out a form to notify TV support but no response. I also downloaded and tried TVTools_AlterID.exe to change my TV ID, but didn't do anything. This all happened after I upgraded to 15.16.8. My other PC which has an older version doesn't have the problem.

My take on this is that TV has discontinued the free for personal license in later releases and they're not announcing it or responding to all the people having the problem.

I use it to control a computer in my house which is inaccessible. I've had no problem with it for years for years but it's suddenly unusable. Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative? Nothing else seems to be free.

• spruceymaine
    spruceymaine Posts: 0

I filled out the reset form again, downloaded, uploaded and submitted it. I included both IDs, the one I'm connecting from and the one I'm connecting to. Fingers crossed!

• when I want to connect my home PC when I am in office, it detected my home IP as Commercial 

What should I do ?

Ed

• Goldberger
    Goldberger Posts: 1

I had last week the unfortunate issue of getting my free version flagged to commercial use and i had been using teamviewer for probably at least 4+ years and first time this ever happened to me.

Now i am just wondering what actually triggered it as can i do something to avoid it? Before i only used it with phone to connect to my pc to play mainly or maybe in super rare cases looking up something stored in it.

As there was a new game that got launched i was so hyped that i wanted to play it remotely and its a bit hard to do with phone so i noticed that our work PCs team viewer works.. so i used that to connect to my pc trough browser. all was fine at start but like a day or two or a week i got the commercial use flag detected.

Now the question is does the commercial use get detected for me using a work pc? also i noticed that we even got teamviewer installed to these work pc to my shock. As my job is packaging i have literally no other reson to connect anywhere than to my home pc to play games.

or is it that this is windows 10 enterprise edition? I wish when we get commercial use flagging we would actually get information WHAT triggered it? Now the bad part is that if i cant use work pc to connect to my home pc for gaming this makes teamviewer pretty much useless.

Also i would even pay smallish subscription montly to get teamviewer working without hassle but there is cheapest 20 euros monthly subscription that is insane price considering its not often i got time to use this and play at work anyway.

oh and to add in this teamviewers site -> "without any financial compensation is considered as personal use."

me connecting to play games is like opposite to financial compensation :D

• Goldberger
    Goldberger Posts: 1

oh man did not want this to get automatically moved here as i specificially made a new thread to talk about what triggers the commercial use and not get lost in this spam thread. it was more to find out the reasons that happends to prevent it from the future and the hassle of resetting back to free.

• sevenex
    sevenex Posts: 0

Hello. Did an upgrade recently and now when doing a remote connection TeamViewer is closing down after about 30 seconds with a Connection time out message . Any one know how to solve this please.

• jtr
    jtr Posts: 0

Please explain to me how this happens a 2nd time, while using it for personal, non-commercial use. And what's up with the PDF form with your name and address to fill out?? I don't recall filling out anything like this on the 1st occurrence. Please explain the purpose of this. And please stop doing what you're doing!

• kpeeling
    kpeeling Posts: 2 ✭✭

Below is the message that I received from TeamViewer. I followed all of the directions and as of 3/31/21 my access has not yet been restored

"You are being warned for the following post:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

There can be cases where TeamViewer incorrectly detects commercial use and limits your connectivity even though you don't violate the license conditions. In such cases, we can investigate and unblock the software for you. Please request the reset on our website: https://www.teamviewer.com/reset 

Finally, sorry that this post is called "warning". It's systemic and we've already asked for a change. This here is of course not a warning but a help"

• BB63876
    BB63876 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Update: resetting via the PDF / upload worked for me on the second time. The first time I did not send the TV ID of the target machine (which is never used as a TV client, just a target for remote control, which is why I didn't think to include it in the reset).

For what it's worth, I did NOT get the 'commercial use detected' prompt - it just gave a nearly immediate 'session time out' (I've seen the 'commercial use' before so I know what it looks like).

So even if you're not getting the 'commercial use detected' message, still try a reset with all TV IDs you use.

Thanks to Esther for the information!

• Ddub
    Ddub Posts: 1

Hi.

Recently went to help an elderly friend with filling out forms via teamviewer and the connection dropped out within seconds. I don't believe I've misused the software as i only really help out a couple of elderly friends occasionally.

I've been trying to get it to work today but failed. This has caused this particular fiend to become very upset as he needs my help more these days after i moved from Kent where he lives to north Cambridgeshire.

I tried the contact number and all i got was a reordered message which then hung up

I have no messages on my account that i can see warning me of any misuse

Please advise or can i have a number to call

• Marty_Boroff9512
    Marty_Boroff9512 Posts: 4 ✭✭

I have a free account. Both my remote and local have the current version and say free when I connect. I time out after about one minute. Both have the same version 15.16.8 for MAC. I time out after a minute with a message "This was a free session sponsored by www.teamviewer.com. TeamViewer sessions are free for personal use."

I am attempting to connect with my iMac at home while on vacation using a MacBook. I have used it many times before without time outs.

• dusatvoj
    dusatvoj Posts: 1
    edited March 2021

I have the same problem for more than a week. I can't use my free account to remotely help my GF for more than one minute and then it says. "blocked until ..."

🙃

(remote connection: Linux -> Linux/Windows)

• SHansen
    SHansen Posts: 0

Same situation - connects for a minute, then session 'times out' and disconnects.

• I support my mom via teamviewer and I'm getting the following error, I have a free account. How do I resolve this issue?

• Sam_R
    Sam_R Posts: 0

Same situation - connects for a minute, then session 'times out' and disconnects. Then when you try and re-connect you get a message about not being allowed to reconnect until a minute later which sometimes is the case and sometimes isn't 🤷‍♂️

• dapitassi1_
    dapitassi1_ Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November 2022

the reset process for free license doesn't upload the signed letter. what can i do?

• dapitassi1_
    dapitassi1_ Posts: 2 ✭✭

To reset my free license which, suddenly now times out after a couple of minutes, I followed the process to reset my license. Steps 1 and 2 completed successfully. I then was instructed to print the pdf file which Team Viewer sent me (step 2), sign it, scan it, and upload it (step 3). Did all that, loaded the pdf but the 'submit' button on the screen is greyed out. No reason given. How do I send the file to Team Viewer?

• Blank9_Blank9
    Blank9_Blank9 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

I think these **bleep** are flagging people, making the process extremely difficult to get your free license back, in hopes you just give up and buy a professional subscription. They could make a PDF that is able to be signed electronically and not have to go thru the hassle of printing, signing, and uploading the PDF. I only use teamviewer once in 3 months or so at most and these idiots flagged me for "commercial use" as well... they are scamming it seems to me. Trying to force everyone to pay for the pro subscription even when use patterns obviously do not indicate "commercial use"