can't login anymore

Vinfoil
Vinfoil Posts: 9 ✭✭

all the time I try to login to my teamviewer account in the app, it asks me for the security code, I then go to the microsoft authenticator app, and enter the security code shown there. Then I get a message that the security code is not correct. Tried many times, so how do I get rid of this stupid security code that I don't want in the first place?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,043 Moderator β˜‘
    Answer βœ“

Thank you for the patience re explaining the case to me! πŸ™

Okay, so I attempt so simulate it on my side, and it worked just fine using Microsoft Authenticator and an Android phone...

Did you already attempt to enter the Windows configuration Date & Time and click to Sync now?

Also, on your Android phone you should be able to do the same, go to Date & Time and uncheck and check again the option to set time zone automatically.

Please let me know if by doing it issue get resolved or not. πŸ€žπŸ€

Best, Carol

Portuguese Community Moderator

• Vinfoil
    Answer βœ“

ok so that apparently was the problem, automatic sync wasn't enabled on my phone, and the time was about 1 minute off.

everything seems to work normally again now, at least I know what to do if the same problem happens again. Thanks

Answers

• Vinfoil
    edited March 2022

Even if I try to deactivate the 2 factor in my account on the web, I enter the 6 digits and get an error that it needs 6 digits....**bleep**?

• Vinfoil

thought maybe it was an Edge browser issue, so I tried to deactivate in firefox and there I could deactivate it successfully, then I could login again in the app. After that I tried to activate the 2factor again just to see if it would work, but then even in firefox I couldn

't activate it anymore, all the time after scanning the QR and entering the code again it says that it needs to be 6 digits, when that is exactly what I entered...

• Vinfoil

apparently the code only works if the timer is about to end, if I enter the code when it appears, it just doesn't work, if I enter the code and then wait till the timer almost expires and then hit enter, it works most of the time. Any idea what causes this?? It is pretty annoying and enough reason to deactivate the 2FA. The video shows the issue for activating/deactivating 2FA, but it is the same in the app or on the website with logging in.

apparently I can not upload a link with a video of the problem, so please delete the underscores: H_t_t_p_s://youtu.be/GGt6PbhVNxw

• .Carol.fg.

Hello @Vinfoil ,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community! πŸŽ‰

By the description you provided, I fear there the "time" of the app of authenticator is not in sync...

Some apps will have an option to "Time correction for code" or "Sync now" on their advanced settings.

You can also try to restart your cellphone (if you didn't try it already).

Please let us know if it fixed the problem for you. πŸ€πŸ™Œ

Best,

Carol

• Vinfoil
    edited February 2022

I have tried both microsoft and google authenticator, result is the same. I have also now tried to restart my phone, but now it doesn't work at all anymore, so now I'm back to trying to disable it again....

I didn't see any option to sync time

• Vinfoil

this is really great, now I have no possibility to login anymore, deactivated it with the backup code now...

• .Carol.fg.

HelloΒ @VinfoilΒ ,

Thank you for the additional feedback, I'm sorry to hear that the information I provided could not help you.

πŸ€” If you have TFA active, and if you uninstall the authenticator app (or change cellphones) you most likely will lose the connectivity between the app and your account. In a case like this the recovery code would be necessary. More details on this you can see on article:

Do you still have the recovery code saved somewhere?

Let me know how it goes. πŸ€

Best,

Carol

• Vinfoil

Yes this is what i did, i did not uninstall the app, i deactivated 2fa with the recovery code, luckily it just gave me a new one before. I still think it is weird that it doesn't work though. If you offer 2fa it should work.

• .Carol.fg.

HelloΒ @VinfoilΒ ,

Sorry, I think I'm a bit confused about what exactly you're trying to achieve, and about where the problem is...

Just to make sure I'm understanding, and please correct if I'm wrong:

You had TFA, you deactivated it using the recovery code, now you are trying to activate it again, but it is not accepting the code, is it correct?

If this is the case, can you tell me what Authenticator app you are using, and what phone you are using (android or iOS)? I can try simulate the issue on my side 😊

Let see if we can make it work again for you πŸ€πŸ™Œ

Best,

Carol

• Vinfoil

At first I had 2FA activated, it was never a problem before, now I started having problems and found out that the code would only work the last 5 seconds or so before expiring. Then you told me to restart my phone or look for a timesync option in the authenticator app. I did not find a time sync setting, but I did restart my phone. After that the codes wouldn't work at all anymore, so I had to deactivate 2FA with the recovery code. Since it has always worked and it is supposed to work, I wanted to activate it again, but since you also need a code to activate, I can't do that also anymore.

Like mentioned before I have both Google and Microsoft authenticator, I tried both, but normally I only use Microsoft Authenticator. I only have an Android phone.

• .Carol.fg.
    Answer βœ“

Thank you for the patience re explaining the case to me! πŸ™

Okay, so I attempt so simulate it on my side, and it worked just fine using Microsoft Authenticator and an Android phone...

Did you already attempt to enter the Windows configuration Date & Time and click to Sync now?

Also, on your Android phone you should be able to do the same, go to Date & Time and uncheck and check again the option to set time zone automatically.

Please let me know if by doing it issue get resolved or not. πŸ€žπŸ€

Best, Carol

• Vinfoil
    Answer βœ“

ok so that apparently was the problem, automatic sync wasn't enabled on my phone, and the time was about 1 minute off.

everything seems to work normally again now, at least I know what to do if the same problem happens again. Thanks

• .Carol.fg.

πŸ™ŒπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆ

I'm grateful that it worked @Vinfoil !

Thanks for sharing it with me and the Community 😊

I wish you a great Friday and an amazing weekend! β™ͺ

Best,

Carol