Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• Team viewer keeps saying I’m a commercial viewer after I had to reinstall Windows. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled 10 times. I don’t get it, I’ve used team viewer for years and now I can’t connect with my phone because ‘I’m a commercial user and my trial expired’

I’ve chosen basic installation and free. I tried using the download on my console web page.

Anyone had this problem or know how to fix? Thanks!
  • Team viewer keeps saying I’m a commercial viewer after I had to reinstall Windows
    Team viewer keeps saying I’m a commercial viewer after I had to reinstall Windows. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled 10 times. I don’t get it, I’ve used team viewer for years and now I can’t connect with my phone because ‘I’m a commercial user and my trial expired’

I’ve chosen basic installation and free. I tried using the download on my console web page.

Anyone had this problem or know how to fix? Thanks!
  • rw-e
    rw-e Posts: 2

I only use my team viewer for personal use, but I now get a msg on my laptop saying it has detected a commercial environment and that I cannot use anymore. How can I stop this msg and use teamviewer as before? Roger47

• Fill in this. Takes a few days. This is my 2nd time

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/personal-use-verification/

• Whom it may concern

Hi, I alway use this soft, but I couldn't use this suddenly.

It seems that I'm warned since I may use on bussiness line. But since I use on just personal, Can you allow my using?

Please consider.

Best regards.

ID : [the personal information has been removed]

• ShaneE
    ShaneE Posts: 1

I've been using the person/free version to help my son with his filing especially in Outlook but last week I couldn't log on as the message came up that I was a commercial user.  I don't receive any payment and am not working as I'm 75 years old.

• Hello

Teamviewer detected commercial use. But I‘m not.

I just use it to solve my mom's computer problem at home.

I have already filled out the form. But I have never received any reply emails.

Can you help me?

• Totally personal.

• I have a free teamviewer account for personal use on my home PC. I just got a new laptop and so installed Teamviewer on that (taking care to select 'personal use only'). The laptop has a different device ID (but I think that is fine). I logged in with my account, but on the laptop it seems to think it's an expired trial of the commercial version!

I logged in with the same username and password on both machines, so how can it think the account is free on one and an expired trial on the other?!

SOLVED

• I just had this happen to me today, and this is **bleep**. I am a home user and use this between mine and my neighbors computer mostly, and that is to use my computer while at their house.

What gives?  this needs to be addressed as I am NOT a corporate user in any way shape or form.

• I've been using TeamViewer for a few years, from when **Third Party Product** started to charge their non-commercial home users. I have a few home computers (All running Windows 10 at the moment, no server edition OS), and I have two homes in two different countries and time zones. I've been using TeamVIewer all this time to administer my home computers, both between my home locations and locally in each LAN. This is stictly non-commercial and personal use, but as a tech enthusiast I have a few PC's and my family members have one each too.

I've always kept updated with the latest version of TeamViewer, and a couple of weeks ago or so I upgraded all my PC's to TeamVIewer 14.

A couple of says ago I left a TeamViewer session for a few hours to my "Media PC" while doing some software upgrading. Shortly after I got a big messagebox when trying to connect to *any* of my PC's, the message said that I am using TeamViewer commercially. Why a piece of software would figure out that by itself is a bit of a mystery to me, and why the programmer thinks he knows this better than me is an even bigger mystery. Because it's simply not true, I use TeamViewer strictly for personal use as per the license agreement I agreed to follow when I installed the software.

At the moment TeamVIewer is useless. Whenever I connect to one of my PC's it will show the above mentioned popup window. Shortly after the connection will time out and terminate. If I try to re-connect I will just get a message with some text saying my connection is blocked after a timeout until a spesific time in the future. Essentially this software is now crippled and useless.

This is a shame because it worked very well for my non-commercial personal use. Paying for a commercial license is not an option, it's both a budget issue and also I didnb't break the license agreement for personal use so I don't see why I should be forced into a commercial license.

I did find an on-line form to declare private use here:
    https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/

I filled in the form, gave my declaration and all the information requested but there is still no solution to this issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am indeed grateful for having been able to use TeamViewer for free for the past few years. But since I have strictly adhered to the license agreement regarding personal use for all these years I don't see why TeamViewer now all of a sudden is accusing me of commercial usage and crippeling the software in this way.

Is it at all possible to solve this or should I start looking for an alternative?

• Ya that's just great, move this post last in a thread of almost 50 pages, I'm sure it will get a lot of attention here
    </sarcasm off>

Instead of moving my post you could have bothered to answer with a solution, but I guess "forum care" has priority way above "customer care".

• 2fools
    2fools Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Uninstall the current version, then go to http://download.teamviewer.com/download/version_9x/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

Install version 9 then go to:
    Extra's>Advanced>Show Advanced Options:

Change Check for new version to "NEVER"
    Change Install new version automatically to "No automatic updates"

This all started with Version 10 in 2013/2014
  • OldSurferDude
    OldSurferDude Posts: 29 ✭✭

I was getting this, too, but after many, many contructive comments, they realized I was not a commercial user and I was using TV per their guidelines.  Now it is back working for me.  I hope they will release you soon.  Please remember, they have to make money and we, the free users, are only of value if we report bugs and and other helpful feedback.

Now, if they only had an Arduino version ;)  Maybe a Raspberry Pi? 

• 2fools

Been "reporting" to them this "bug" since 2013 - problem is it isn't a bug it is a "feature" in their eyes.

We use it at our work and we pay them a LOT of money to do so, but I also use it for my personal use as well.

Because I have a computer that is Windows Home Server (designed for home use not business) it sees me as a "professional" user. I have 4 computers and 5 or more mobile devices in my home network using it, I also have family all over the country (NS, AB, ON, NB, BC) that I help out remotely because I am a tech. But I am NOT using it for business - except at work - which we pay for.

I have literally been fighting with them since 2013 to rectify, but they refuse to.

So I use Version 9 and am actively looking for something else to use.

• aipl8
    aipl8 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I can't access the team viewer in my system,I updated all versions and tried ready,It never works, I am using non commercial use only but it asks the payment
  • Thanks @2fools, I will do that if they don't restore my "personal" status within a day or two.

• @2fools wrote:

Been "reporting" to them this "bug" since 2013 - problem is it isn't a bug it is a "feature" in their eyes.

We use it at our work and we pay them a LOT of money to do so, but I also use it for my personal use as well.

Because I have a computer that is Windows Home Server (designed for home use not business) it sees me as a "professional" user. I have 4 computers and 5 or more mobile devices in my home network using it, I also have family all over the country (NS, AB, ON, NB, BC) that I help out remotely because I am a tech. But I am NOT using it for business - except at work - which we pay for.

I have literally been fighting with them since 2013 to rectify, but they refuse to.

So I use Version 9 and am actively looking for something else to use.

I guess I'll just go ahead and "upgrade" to v9 then, based on what you write I'm not at all hopeful that they will take away the "commarcial flag" they have flagged my account with.

• @OldSurferDude wrote:

I was getting this, too, but after many, many contructive comments, they realized I was not a commercial user and I was using TV per their guidelines.  Now it is back working for me.  I hope they will release you soon.  Please remember, they have to make money and we, the free users, are only of value if we report bugs and and other helpful feedback.

Now, if they only had an Arduino version ;)  Maybe a Raspberry Pi? 

So basically you are saying that their criteria for detecting commercial vs personal users is that personal users give constructive comments and helpful feedback in this forum, and commercial users does not? So all we have to do to get our "personal" status back is to post "constructive comments" and "helpful feedback" in this forum? :)

• @2fools wrote:
    Uninstall the current version, then go to http://download.teamviewer.com/download/version_9x/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

I remember when going to v10 a few years back I had timeouts, I think they added a maximum session limit in v10 and it was most annoying. So I remember I went back to v9. But even with "No automatic updates" I remember getting very annoying popups urging me to upgrade to the latest version. Do you still get those today when using v9?

• hello, I have the same problem. I have a computer that I'm using few years ago with Teamviewer (currently 14.x). I started to get commercial usage detected messages a week ago. After that they blocked my acces??? Went to the website, filled the form : https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected

No response, nothing. Do they want to push away the free users? Does someone know a solution?

• My solution has been to start migrating to "Remote Utilities"  - https://www.remoteutilities.com/

Free for both commercial and personal use, as long as you don't have to control more than 10 PC's remotely. One time $99 to control unlimited PC's remotely as long as you are just 1 person controlling them.

I'm sick of this so I'll just make the switch, I guess this is their way of getting rid of their "free" users. If they had a reasonable priced license for a one time fee I wouldn't mind paying, but no way I'm gonna be forced to jump into their monthly payment scheme!

So far Remote Utilities works pretty good and cover my needs just fine.

• 2fools

• NigelB
    NigelB Posts: 3

I have this problem.

I filled in the form ... I received a message to say my ID had been set to private ... but nothing changed ... it still shows commercial use detected ... and I still can't access.

The message offered no assistance as to why I might have been flagged it simply said I would have to pay for a license if it happened again ... It didn't happen again ... it was never fixed.

... WHY should I pay a commercial license fee !!! I am a personal user.

It's all very well TeamViewer "claiming" they don't want to charge personal users but when there's no attempt to fix this buggy detection software and no information provided as to why you might be being falsely flagged that claim is empty.

It would be better if there was a reasonable options for personal users. I'd much rather pay [the price has been removed per the community giudeline] for a perpetual license than not be able to use the software.

• Hello, I'm using Team Viewer, but I continue to recognize personal connection as a commercial connection. Please resolve it.

my email > [The personal information has been removed.]

• I've gotten the dreaded commericial use detected message, but *only* on he copy on my laptop, which never does anything except remote into the machine in the living room. I literally use this copy for laziness so I can access the machine out there from my bed! I can't think of a more personal use for it than this!? Does it assume connections within a LAN are commercial? My router should obviously look like a residential router. I'm gonna submit a ticket for this, I'm just curious how the program "thinks".

• JackHK
    JackHK Posts: 86

Hi All,

May I know when will the limit being removed after ticket submitted?

I submitted the form yesterday, but still, the limit did not remove yet?

• I've recently received this message with two devices I had it installed on - an old android phone (used to receive verification SMS messages related to outlook, tinder, instagram for two factor auth) and a laptop which contains photos, files and other things I would like to access while travelling as not to haul around everything on a harddisk. 

So I'm managing two personal devices, for personal, non-paid use. And I got the message anyway. I've filed reports but have not (yet) gotten a reply, and honestly don't expect one soon either. Right now I cannot access various services while abroad just because teamviewer decided to block access to my android phone, meaning I can't see SMS messages properly (it's a slow phone and the 1 minute is not enough....). 

Highly fustrating. It's pretty obvious that Teamviewer does not want a lot of people to use data on their application for free and is trying to reduce the network/cpu usage for free users by randomly sending out commercial use notifications/restrictions. Its become extortion-ware, effectively. 

• splow
    splow Posts: 6

Extortion-ware is right, especially for anyone who physically does not have remote access to a PC.

I am a software developer and absolutely support that people should not freeload or pirate software, however, I think TV should not falsely advertise you allow free use if you cannot correctly ascertain what is free use.

Plenty of users that rarely use TV and use it to less than 5 pcs getting flagged - not from hearsay, but colleagues and friends of mine. So this is all **bleep**. Exhorbitant prices that totally excludes the occasional user that is supporting family and friends for personal use. 

Great product, hateful policy on this. I'd much rather there is no free version and a reasonable price for a basic product, or a free version that has limits or whatever. Don't go around saying free for personal use and then have rubbish analytics that flag people incorrectly. 

I've completely moved out of TV and testing various products - really rooting for the newcomers. Really hope the old major players get a rude shock at how different pricing is - **Third Party Product**, **Third Party Product** and TV have basically excluded the huge pool of folks that do tech support for family and friends. Good luck to the newcomers that are offering much more reasonable pricing. 

• JackHK
    JackHK Posts: 86

Me too! I submitted the form , but no response and no updates. I am so frustrated.

Hi Teamviewer team,

I have been recommending your apps to my friends. I hope that you will not make me disappointed. Looking forward to hearing from you soonest!