Install fails using MSI installer with IMPORTREGFILE=1 parameter

sg11
sg11 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to deploy the latest version (15.3.2682.0) of 
TV 15 full client using the MSI installer file. (TeamViewer_Full.msi). The commandline used is:
msiexec.exe /i /qn ALLUSERS=1 DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=1 IMPORTREGFILE=1 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

It seems there is a problem importing the settings registry file. This file has been exported while using the latest version of TV. (15.3.2682.0). The error I get is:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

The error in the msi logging is: 

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ApplyExportedRegistry, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer, command: reg import "TeamViewer_Settings.reg" /reg:32
MSI (s) (F0:E4) [13:24:27:406]: Product: TeamViewer -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ApplyExportedRegistry, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer, command: reg import "TeamViewer_Settings.reg" /reg:32

If I manually run the following commandline the .reg file gets imported without a problem: reg import "TeamViewer_Settings.reg" /reg:32

If I run the installer without the IMPORTREGFILE parameter TV installs succesfully.

How do I succesfully deploy the latest version of TV 15 using MSI with the IMPORTREGFILE parameter?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• hu5020
    hu5020 Posts: 2

i ran into the same issue today. with IMPORTREGFILE ==> error. without ==> the setup runs as expected.

• jpvj
    jpvj Posts: 4 ✭✭

Same here ... 

Used this setup for years now (MSI + MST + .reg file).

Spend hours debugging (new version, new customer) until I reached this conclustion.

• hu5020
    hu5020 Posts: 2

Just hat a call with the TV-Support. The installation worked with this string

msiexec.exe /i "%~dp0\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn IMPORTREGFILE=1

• sg11
    sg11 Posts: 2 ✭✭

I believe it's msiexec.exe /i "%~dp0TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn IMPORTREGFILE=1 (without the \).

And it's run from within a batch file. If I run the above command line from a batch file it also works. TV Support isn't really helpful with my case. It's clearly a change in their setup which caused this issue. Thanks for pointing this out. 

• jpvj
    jpvj Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a follow up. I'm using a GPO based deployment which has been working fine for years.

Using a GPO based deployment means I cant prepend "%~dp0\" (working directory) to the commandline as shown above.

I can however use the following command line to reproduce the issue using

msiexec /i TeamViewer_host.msi TRANSFORMS=TeamViewer_host.mst" /qb /l*v

I contacted TeamViewer support 10(!) days ago. Since I havent heard from them, I asked for an update 4 days ago. Finally today they responded with

"Apologies with the delay of my reply.
    There is no issue at the moment with installing TeamViewer Host with the .reg file imported.
    Please make sure you're installing the latest host .msi ( 15.3.8497 ), that the file is named TeamViewer_Settings.reg
    Please also share the script you've been trying to use."

Pretty useless answer. :-(

Long story short. The problem is clearly related to importing the reg file. The installation works fine with my transform (.MST) file if I keep IMPORTREGFILE=0. 

Inspired of the prepended %~dp0\ string in the post above, I did a procmon trace of the installation.
    TV1.PNG

Notice the "Path": reg.exe is searching for TeamViewer_Setting.reg in all folders of the environment path. This happens only - and only - if reg.exe is called with "import TeamViewer_Settings.reg" (not path to the location) which aligns nicely with the suggested workaround when installing from command line.

Opening the event and showing the Process tab also shows this:

TV2.PNG

So the options seems to avoid the IMPORTREGFILE=1 when doing GPO based deployments,

The following options can then be used instead:

1. Import the settings via GPP (use the import wizard for a quick import to the GPP)
    2. Import the settings via a computer startup/shutdown script calling reg.exe import ...
    3. Or ... modify the environment PATH variable on the clients during deployment (or at least undtil TV fixes the issue) to include the UNC path to the installation source. This can be achieved using GPP as well.

I anybody has better suggestions - please let me know.

I'll keep you posted when someone from TV support hopefully takes the issue seriously and involves development team for a fix.