I cannot disable two-factor authentication

I cannot disable two-factor authentication. I lost my cell phone and I don't know the 14 digit code

Tagged:

Comments

• MacMind
    MacMind Posts: 10 ✭✭

@Thiagobessa 

Howdy, 

I had a similar issue once in the past, and a relatively quick call to TeamViewer support resolve the issue. I was stuck in a catch-22 as I couldn't access the phone lost in the ocean, that had the 2FA code in the Google Authenticator App, but they helped me out after providing them all my information over the phone, they assisted me in disabling it.

I was then able to re-enable it, got the new code setup, thankfully, that worked, and I was able to resume work very quickly.

After that, this time, instead of risking having my 2FA codes trapped in that physical phone device with the Google Authentication App, I investigated and researched other 2FA apps that allow you to have an 'account' where the 2FA codes can be accessed via multipe devices. I checked out and almost started using 'Authy', but then almost decided upon 1Password, and then finally decided upon 'BitWarden' once I realized that 1Password & BitWarden does _both_ the functions of 2FA one time authorization codes (OTAC) to provide 2FA, and also can be used as a password Manager. Bitwarden won out for me, for many reasons, but mostly as it is open source, you can even run your own 'sync server' if you want to not use their hosting for enhanced privacy, it is highly rated, and very resonably priced too.  Depending upon your level of security needs, you can also add on a MFA (multi-factor-authentication) such as a YubiKey or other similar devices to really step up the security level if need be.

• MacMind
    MacMind Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I may be mistaken about TeamViewer support being able to de-activate the 2FA:  as per : https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Two-factor-authentication-Activation-and-Deactivation/ta-p/66 "Do not send the recovery code unencrypted via email since this could give an unauthorized user access to it. After deactivating two-factor authentication with the recovery code, you can always reactivate two-factor authentication for your user. Otherwise: Trusted Device applies automatically. CAUTION: The two-factor authentication can not be deactivated by TeamViewer. If you lose your recovery key, you will also lose access to all TeamViewer features where your account is needed. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place."  -- So, as this was a while back, I don't remember the exact process, so, perhaps they guided me to use a 'trusted device' to then access my recovery code, or inform me to look for it and perhaps I had forgotten that I had documented it for myself, or something like that, I'm not 100% certain, but they were very helpful and ultimately I was able to disable it, then re-enable it with a new code and securely store the recovery code in an encrypted disk image. Oh, and I forgot to also mention, If you have documented and still have your 'recovery code':  using the recovery code 1. Click this link to deactivate your two-factor authentication. 2. Enter the email address and password of your TeamViewer account. 3. Enter the recovery codethat you received during the activation process. 4. Click the Deactivate button.
  • Shiva_rudagi
    Shiva_rudagi Posts: 1

I lost my phone and I cannot able to disable two-factor authentication.

Can anyone help me?