Bind Teamviewer to a specific network adapter (Windows)

At a Windows computer which has to have multiple network adapters with gateways open, how can I bind Teamviewer to use one specific adapter?

Tagged:

Comments

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @Hinrich 

I think the answer here is not related to the TeamViewer app only, but it has to do in general with how to forcing any application to use a specific network adapter.

In order to achieve this, you can make use of 3rd party tools, like ForceBindIP and there are others also. If you want a more detailed guide you can look here as an example, but you must have in mind that you should set up very carefully your system, in order to avoid conflicts and also to retain free the corresponding ports the app needs to work.

Best regards

• Silinteritie
    Silinteritie Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited March 2022

It is TeamViewer specific in that sense that TeamViewer could - if it wanted - choose which interface it binds the sockets it uses. And it should, really, do that.

It seems at least in version 15.27.3 it just picks one which it thinks or assumes is a good one, sometimes failing badly (by choosing one that has no internet connectivity - in my case out of N identically configured machines, on 2 of them TV picks an interface connected to internal network instead of the WAN interface).

Instead it should try all the available interfaces (Or even better: Let the user specify which interface/connection to use), until it finds a good one and failing that, only then give up or complain.

No 3rd party tools needed. Just a simple design decision.

• CoolBreeze1
    CoolBreeze1 Posts: 1

For a supposedly "professional" remote access tool, this functionality appears to be sadly missing.

I was lucky and only have a machine with 2 network adapters present.

So for now, I have worked around it by changing the Metric in the network adapter settings (TCP/IP v4/Advanced) and raising the priority of the adapter I'd prefer TeamViewer to use.

This won't work for everyone, but may help in some cases.

• Silinteritie
    Silinteritie Posts: 8 ✭✭

I also find it strange that this feature is missing, as at least to me it would seem like essential core feature.

Tried tinkering with the Metric parameter (prioritize the WAN adapter and de-prioritize the others), but it didn't seem to have any effect.

• busta
    busta Posts: 1

Hello,

You can make the connection to a second interface by changing the value of the metric. I did this action a few minutes ago.CoolBreeze1's answer gave me the idea.

I have two interfaces, one that has an active VPN via Wifi and another directly to my router via cable.

When activating my client's VPN, the internet service is completely lost, even though he has the wired interface active.

What did I do?

I changed the metric value to one (1) on the wired interface and the metric value to two (2) on the VPN virtual interface.

Summary:

Wifi Interface ---- VPN ---- Metric Value: 2

Interface Cable ---- Router ---- Metric Value: 1