The Wait is Over: Presenting TeamViewer’s Native Linux Client

Esther
Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
edited April 2023 in Blog

2018-Q2-SummerRelease-BLG-Header-NativeLinux-EN-180702.jpg

It’s cute, more stable and sustainable: Delivering a native client, we fulfill our Linux users’ oldest dream!

As of today, TeamViewer for Linux counts 200.000 connections per month and is installed on more than 10 million devices. In fact, it has been around since TeamViewer 5, when we adapted the Windows version by utilizing the runtime environment Wine. And while that was a fast way to make TeamViewer’s capabilities available to Linux users, saving a much smaller team back then years of development time, Wine limited TeamViewer’s feature-richness, stability, and overall upgradability in the long run.

That’s why today, we proudly present to you the first final version of TeamViewer’s native Linux client!

With the help and input of our active TeamViewer Linux community, we created a new, smoothly running, and above all native interface, based on Qt. Supporting more than ten Linux distributions at the moment, it offers a more stable and feature-rich experience than its’ predecessor. And as we learned from multiple users’ feedback, it seems that even the user interface’s response time has improved. This official release simultaneously marks the end of the preview version released last year.

But let’s get to the juicy part: What can you expect, when switching to the native Linux client?

Enjoy a Native Look and Feel

One of the more obvious changes that come with the native client concerns TeamViewer’s overall appearance on your desktop.Native_Linux_Client.png

The previous Wine solution relied on an adapted Windows version of TeamViewer that, by design, seemed more or less obviously out of place on a Linux machine. The new native client on the other hand integrates seamlessly into the Linux environment, incorporating for example the associated system icons and dialogues.

Now that we’ve dealt with the superficialities, let’s talk about the intrinsic values.

Step-by-Step Feature-Enrichment

Starting with the development of the Host for Raspberry Pi and the native Linux Host for PC in 2016 and 2017, respectively, our developers have been working hard to realize more and more features for the full version presented today.

Important features that have already been realized until now, among others, include the Computers & Contacts list, the Remote Control Toolbar, or tray icons and notifications. More than that, the long desired Queued File Transfer has made it to this full version, allowing you to automatically send multiple files in succession while offering extensive information on your progress. Many of you will also be happy to hear that from now on, native 64-bit packages are available for download, eliminating previous compatibility problems. Last but not least, DEB and RPM repositories will serve for convenient automatic updates.

But of course, it doesn’t end there. Since we’re not facing any more limitations through Wine, you can expect more features to be implemented in the future. Visit the TeamViewer Community’s Linux section for all the latest news.

Praise the Penguin

Finally being able to present the native Linux client to the world is a dream come true for our developers who put their blood, sweat and tears into this project in the past months. We hope you feel the same way and notice many of the small and big improvements that come with the client’s release.

So what are you waiting for? Convince yourself of its’ quality and install TeamViewer’s native Linux client today!

If you’ve tried the native Linux client already, what are your thoughts? Let us know in the comment section below!

Former Community Manager

Tagged:

Comments

• AlexFogerty
    AlexFogerty Posts: 35 ✭✭

Does not support CentOS 6 :smileysad:

• Sehr gut gemacht! Funktioniert. Weiter so!

• Armin-S
    Armin-S Posts: 1

Still no support for Meetings :smileysad:

Unusable for us.

• Hermi
    Hermi Posts: 2

Geht das denn mit den Putty-Sessions auf Kunden-System jetzt endlich?

TeamViewer unter Linux wurde zuletzt unbrauchbar, da die ESC- und andere "Sondertasten" nicht funktionieren.

Laut Forum ist dieser Bug wohl schon seit mehr als einem halben Jahr bekannt. Wäre ganz schön, wenn das mal angepackt würde. "Prise the penguin" ist ja toll. Aber weniger Bla bla und mehr Hardfacts wäre besser.

• Hermi
    Hermi Posts: 2

Gerade installiert: Keine Verbindung zum Internet. Wieder deinstalliert und 13.1 installiert. Läuft sofort.

Die 13.2.13582 tut es offenbar nicht auf Linux Mint.

Bisher gab es nie Probleme mit TeamViewer. Jetzt ist es nur noch Grütze:

- aktuelles Release läuft, findet aber keine Internet-Connection

- Keine Meetings in der Linux-Version

- vollmundige Ankündigung eines fertigen Releases, aber immer noch "Preview" und nicht 100% aller Funktionen an Bord.

- Probleme mit ESC und anderen "Sondertasten" in der Linux-Version (siehe vorigen Post).

Schade. Als Abo-Kunde hatte ich echt mehr erwartet.

• @Hermi: Es wird in den Release Notes ( https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Linux/Update-13-2-13582-Summer-release/m-p/40607 ) darauf hingewiesen, dass noch nicht alle Funktionen implementiert sind. Dort gibt es auch eine Umfrage, wo man Wünsche formulieren kann. Auch wir sind Abo-Kunde und ich schätze es sehr, dass es jetzt einen native Linux Client gibt. Ich nutze den native Linux TeamViewer jetzt schon seit er erstmals verfügbar war und es ist eine kontinuierliche Verbesserung sichtbar. Für unsere Zwecke ist die derzeitige Version sehrwohl produktiv einsetzbar. Ich nutze übrigens das "tar" package unter Gentoo. Die neueste Version 13.2.13582 funktioniert bei mir.
  • ksnair
    ksnair Posts: 1

We are on a subscription licence now, having changed from Version 11.

Version 13 handles remote displays better than 11 and the full desktop is visible even without having to use the "Maximise" button.

However,  I am having some problems with both the "Native client" 13.2.13582 as well as version 13.1.8286.

In the Native client, suddenly there is no connection to the Internet and I had to remove this version and re-install 13.1.8286. Also, in the Native client, using LInux Mint 17.1, there is a minor issue with the label of the button "CONNECT", which shows only CONN.. and when trying to connect to a remote host, shows ABOR..  

After the upgrade to Version 13.1.8286, I had reported two problems with "Contacts", which were taken from my existing computers (from version 11):

1. In some cases, does not display the full name of the computer, even though there is enough space to do so.  Trying to shorten the name by going to the "Properties" does NOT fix the problem.  After entering the "Properties" of one contact, if you Right-click and try to edit the Properties of another contact, TeamViewer crashes and disappears, needing to be restarted from the menu.  Bug #4232579 has been sent to the developers

2. Even with the Native client the above problem is present and the application crashes on a second edit of Properties of Contacts. 

Really hoping that these problems are resolved very soon.  Otherwise, we have been using TeamViewer from version 7 and are very happy with the product as a whole.

• Automatic connection via CLI is still missing I need this functionality to switch to new version: /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/script/teamviewer -i 111111111 --Password xxxxxxxxxx Without it this native client is just a beautified "Host" version.
  • MykeC
    MykeC Posts: 3

I have a Linux PC and a Windows laptop running various distros of Linux along with Windows 8.1 in various VirtualBox VMs on both machines but now I am "suspected of commercial use" even though repeated messages using their "Commercial Use Form" have gone unanswered since early July.  I am not violating their commercial use rules but cannot convince them to reset my ID back to personal use.

I was excited that a new native Linux client was available but now it just shuts itself off every time I start the application.

#DealBreaker  #Worthless

• The native client is great, polished and resource-efficient. However, I do need the meetup feature ; really miss it. Cheers and kudos for the work done.
  • Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Thanks @jsamr Did you already see this post from our Linux developer Daniel? Make sure to fill out the survey to let the team know what exactly is important for you, Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• @Esther This is great ; thanks! I truly feel grateful to you and your team providing such a great quality product for linux and listening carefully to user feedback :smileyhappy:

• Meeting. Meeting. Meeting. Meeting. Meeting...........

Please add meeting ASAP.