[Update: 13.0.9865] File Transfer & Chat

DanielStm
DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

Filetransfer & Chat - Valentine UpdateFiletransfer & Chat - Valentine Update

Dear Linux community,

Chat & File transfer via C&CChat & File transfer via C&Ctoday we are releasing our February update, bringing file transfer and chat to the native Linux client.

Computers, Contacts, Chat
The Computers & Contacts window now shows online states. Your own online state is now reflected on the C&C button in the main TeamViewer window. Also, if enabled, you are now immediately signed in without first having to open the C&C window once. The context menu of each contact now also offers to open the chat or start a file transfer. Shared groups and service cases are now supported.

Filetransfer with Queue
Queued file transfer has File transferFile transferbeen introduced to subscription customers during TV12 (Win, macOS) and is available to everybody in TV13. Now, the Linux client joins the club.
The queue allows you to start one transfer, then navigate somewhere else and start (enqueue) another. Of course, each transfer may contain multiple files and folders. Being slightly more verbose than on other platforms, each job in the queue lets you know about its (per file) progress, number of files, and the file names as an info-tip.

5 identical files skipped5 identical files skippedFile transfer can be used to sync directory trees: Only files that are different will be transferred. Therefore it may happen that you see 7/15 files finished but the progress bar still says 'calculating'. That indicates that 7 identical files have been skipped, which you can also tell from the log.

Various Fixes
The repository warnings that some users experienced have been fixed in January. Keyboard support when connecting to macOS has been improved.
We have also worked on palette / theme support. Please let us know if you still experience any empty looking menues or similar UI oddities.
The initial size of the remote control window is now set according to the remote screen size.

Known Issues & Future Development
Chat and file transfer still lack some advanced features like drag'n'drop transfer or adding contacts to existing group chats. Those will be added later.
Also, we have some known issues: The file transfer UI may react sluggish when transferring hundreds of small files. Emojis are inserted at the wrong place. Fixes are scheduled for the next release, as we didn't want to hold back this one any longer.
This release came quite a bit later than we hoped it would, due to sick leaves and other inconveniences. We decided to delay it so both Filetransfer and Chat could make it in.
The March release will be dedicated to stabilizing and polishing, primarily C&C and remote control.

Further reading:
State of Wayland & TeamViewer
CentOS & RedHat
Previous announcements: Beta, Final, Christmas

As always, packages are available via repositories and on the TeamViewer Linux download page.

All the best,
Daniel

Linux Developer

Comments

• cowst
    cowst Posts: 8

Hi,
    It is very hard to not come up with something sarcastic when thinking about working on issues about emojis positions while companies cannot use Teamviewer at all in Linux because the blank screen feature does not work.

• DanielStm

@cowst, it's even harder to please everybody. If I don't mention known issues, somebody will comment how we could possibly overlook that. This release was focused on bringing the basic functionality of chat & file transfer, anticipated by the majority of our users.

As mentioned, the next is about polishing. It may very well add 'show black screen' to the toolbar (I assume that's what you're referring to?), as well as some other tools. It's good you mention it, because you are the first to specificially requesting it. Most of our users have other priorities.

All the best,

Daniel

Linux Developer
  • My system just updated to the latest release (13.0.9865), but starting teamviewer I got "Not ready. Please check your connection" message at the bottom of the main window.

I notice that the license is not valid anymore. Previous version was 13.0.6634. License was activated inserting the license code. If I try to insert my license code via Extras > Activate license, nothing happens (even restarting teamviever).

Is this expected behaviour? How can I reactivate my license?

• DanielStm

@davide_c restarting TeamViewer should resolve the online part.

The license of your company has to be activated for your account. Your administrator does that by adding you to the company profile. More about that topic: How to activate your license
    If you have further questions, please create a separate topic.

Best regards,

Daniel

Linux Developer
  • cowst

Thanks for listening :)

Yes, I meant show black screen (and I meant that I cannot make my Linux server screen black, not having the button available).
    And to be honest even though I can believe you that there are other more popular requests, I do not understand how it is possible that nobody asked to have the 'show black screen' working (actually reading in forums it seems it has been acknowledged as no-ETA feature).
    It cannot be acceptable in a company with desks side by side or back to back that when you work from elsewhere, anybody in the office can see (and even control) your unlocked desktop.

Anyway I take your answer with some hope to see it working eventually. :)

• DanielStm

@cowst, listening is the easy part. :robotwink: As you're not talking about the button, well then it probably has been requested before. But I think you understand that we have to prioritize and currently have to focus on things that worked before.

I can tell you, it took us quite some time to get the black screen feature tamper-proof on Windows. There is no standard API for this. On Linux, I assume it's worse. No API plus a dozen of different drivers to support. And "works on most implementations most of the time" is simply not good enough for a privacy feature.

No final word on this, but it might be more reasonable to add support for virtual sessions (e.g. incoming connection starts an Xvfb session). It's probably simpler, solves the privacy issue and has other use cases, too.

Best regards,

Daniel

Linux Developer
  • cowst

I understand, I am a developer... :)

And in this case I am a customer, and I am not going to tell you how to provide the feature we would like to have, as long as it is possible to connect to the remote machine without any activity visible from the remote screen.

Of course picking up the existing session would be ideal, but I'd get whatever comes ;)

• Not perfect but on the right way.
    Thank you very much for your effort and keep up the good work :)

• jgreep
    jgreep Posts: 10

I haven't been able to use 13 at all.  Nothing opens and I've been getting a message in gui.log: /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/TeamViewer: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The latest update hasn't fixed it.

I posted the issue here: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-13/Won-t-open-after-update-to-13-on-Centos-7/m-p/29753#M694

• Hi,

sad, that you forced us to use 13preview  on Linux because 13 Windows was released. The 12 Client worked well. 
    Maybe a temporary solution would be to release a 12 Teamviewer which can cannect to 13...

But even worse: My system just updated to the latest release (13.0.9865) and it seemed to work, but after a reboot, starting teamviewer I got "Not ready. Please check your connection" message at the bottom of the main window.

• I like the new release, feels and looks more mature than the previous one. However I still have one somewhat annoying issue: I have TeamViewer running on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine and mainly connect to Windows Server 2016 machines. Everything works quite nice, but hitting Alt+Tab always takes me back to my Ubuntu machine instead of cycling through the windows on Windows Server. Am I missing some setting or anything else?

• Gerat !

Thank

• Link to management console doesnt work, log shows error.

Also, was able to login to my account and see my contacts/machines, cannot add Linux Mint to my list of available PCs. Option is missing from the Computers & Contacts context menu, however right clicking on the tray icon displays "Add to Computers & Contacts..." which does nothing....?

• Nice, good going.

Thanks for the update

• How do you initiate a file transfer while connected to the remote computer? I can't figure out how to do this at all.

• area51pilot
    area51pilot Posts: 9 ✭✭

this feature is missing for me  as well in addition to some other items

• 1. Need to add remote computer to Computer and Contacts using Teamviewer Managment Console.

2. Right Click on Remote Computer From Computer and Contancts panel and then choose File Transfer menu.

• I hope you fix the incoming support queue for next release as right now it does not update when people start the custom quicksupport we use.

also the My computer list is not collapsable and does not seem to update as it should.

• lilphil
    lilphil Posts: 1

The remote support queue is top priority for us too. Actually, its the only thing left that we actually need. When we first started setting it up, I did not realise it was actually missing and thought I was just doing it wrong. I phoned support on how to set it up, and they thought it would be ready for Christmas. It would be great to get a revised ETA on this

• DanielStm

@tfenster Alt+Tab forwarding was never implemented in any Linux version, but with the new Qt based UI, it is within reach.

@TVLinuxUser@area51pilot Filetransfer within a session is not yet in, but will come.

@myapanwah3636, no, you don't need to add a computer to the C&C list first. You can also directly start a file transfer via ID directly from the main window (like in all TeamViewer versions released over the last decade for Win, macOS, Linux)

@dagnotland, @lilphil, remote support queue is scheduled for the next update.

Linux Developer
  • QPG
    QPG Posts: 23 ✭✭

@dagnotlandwrote:

I hope you fix the incoming support queue for next release as right now it does not update when people start the custom quicksupport we use.

also the My computer list is not collapsable and does not seem to update as it should.

Both of these are troublesome for me as well.

I use the support queue with AdHoc clients and my organization's computers are listed after the Offline group, so not being able to collapse groups is a nuisance to say the least.

• ndit
    ndit Posts: 9 ✭✭

incomming support queue important for me too, about 1/3 of all my connections are through quicksupport sessions

• beroe667
    beroe667 Posts: 2

Hi,

some of our company devices have hidpi screens.
    The Mainwindow and the contacts view are nicely scaled.
    Unfortunately the chat windows are barely readable.
    This happes for both, Teamviewer 12 (DPI adjustments using winecfg) and
    with the new Teamviewer 13 Client. With TV 13 using QT it shouldnt be hard to
    adjust this.

Is there any workaround to fix this? 

• DanielStm

New update is available: [Update: 13.1.3026] Spring Update

Please add comments on the latest release in the respective article.

@Closed account: Yes, of course, your feedback is always welcome. In-session chat is more a convenience thing at the moment, as there is an alternative. Therefore, it might not be a priority for the next update.
    Disabling remote input and screen are quite easy to add to the toolbar and I think will be in with the next update. In case this confuses you: It's quite simple to trigger it on the remote side (e.g. Win). But it's very hard to implement on the Linux side to be the target of a disabled keyboard or screen. That's the part that will not come soon.

@QPG, @dagnotland, @ndit: Please have a look. Service case support is added.

@beroe667: I'm sorry, but I can't say anything on HiDPI right now.

Linux Developer