Can't log in behind VPN (PIA)

I have been using the free version of team viewer for a few years now and have been using it while connected to a vpn (pia) without any issues.  When TV13 was released, I downloaded it on my macbook air, and unfortunately, upgraded to high sierra at the same time.  After doing those two upgrades, I am unable to log into TV from that machine, nor am I able to connect to it from other machines.  

If I open a connection to the computer and THEN turn on my vpn, the connection is lost (of course), but it never reconnects as it used to.  When my vpn is connected FIRST, I cannot use my un/pw to log into my account from the TV interface.  The mac shows up as online from my account, but when I try to connect, it tells me that I don't have the service running on the mac. In either situation, if I disconnect from my VPN, I am automatically reconnected and everything is hunky dory.  

I have tried deleting the entire install of TV and starting over from scratch, but it hasn't helped.  I've also gone through just about every setting I could find and nothing helped.  The only results I can find on google were from a few years ago and they seem to be different issues.

As I said in the beginning, the only two changes to my setup were upgrading to TV13 and OSX High Sierra, so I am thinking it is a compatability issue somewhere between those two, but at this point, I'm kind of at a loss.  Hopefully someone else has had a similar issue and has some advice for me.