Dual Monitor support

I like a lot of the Team Viewer capabilities, but it's hard to believe you've made it to Ver 12 and still do not have dual monitor support. 

With the native Windows Remote Desktop, the remote session takes on the attributes of the host system (if you want it to) regardless of how manay monitors the remote system has (even if the remote system is headless, with no monitors). This is awesome, and how a lot of us want to log into our remote systems. When I have 2 monitors on my host, I want to be able to view my remote using both monitors, as if I'm sitting at that remote system and it has 2 monitors. Just like Windows Remote Desktop can do:

Windows Remote Desktop - uses both monitors on host system!Windows Remote Desktop - uses both monitors on host system!

When logging into a remote system, and choosing to use both monitors, I get a full layout using both monitors. And, if I go full-screen with the remote desktop, it is just like I'm sitting there at the remote system with 2 monitors - no boarder, just a perfect dual monitor experience with full 3840x1080 resolution (1920x1080 extended).

Remote Desktop - full 2 monitor use!Remote Desktop - full 2 monitor use!Then...there's team viewer. Horrible. Team Viewer logged into the same remote computer. No ability to take advantage of 2 screens. Huh??Team Viewer - cannot do what Remote Desktop does... but it needs to!!Team Viewer - cannot do what Remote Desktop does... but it needs to!!

It's 2017 folks. More of us are using dual monitors than ever before. We expect a premium product like Team Viewer to give us a premium experience. High time for you guys to catch up to what Remote Desktop has been able to do for 15 years or more!

If I'm missing something in TV - a setting somewhere that allows this, just let me know. But based on dozens and dozens of blogs and posts I've read about this issue, I'm going to guess you guys just have still not figured this out yet. Time to!!

Comments

• jlnhrst
    jlnhrst Posts: 1

when I connect to machines with multiple monitors my TV toolbar shows the option for me to switch between monitors.  However, I am unable to find the option to have each monitor open in separate windows so I can view both monitors at the same time like I did in past versions of TV.

icon to switch monitors

• Aaron_Boshers
    Aaron_Boshers Posts: 47 Moderator

@JoeDrummer

When connecting to Multi-monitor systems you have the option as in the screen shot below to either have the windows tabbed or a separate monitors. 

You can also have all of the monitors as a single window which you can resize to any of the remote systems supported resolutions.

Capture.JPG 

Regards,

Aaron Boshers
    Senior Enterprise Solutions Engineer

If my reply answered your question, help out other users and click the Accept as a Solution button below.
    You can also say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button! Thanks for being an active member of our Community!
  • dimoton
    dimoton Posts: 3

I found much more useful and elegant way:

Open one window in one teamviewer session and then open another teamviewer session to the same computer :-)

Put each session on one of your monitors and.. ola!

• JoeDrummer
    JoeDrummer Posts: 11 ✭✭

@Aaron_Boshers - what you show below is not what i see. There are no options for "monitors as individual windows". See attached screen grab.

TV.jpg

• @Aaron_Boshers meant about when the remote has 2 monitors however we are interested when the client has two monitors

• Ok, this is what I do:

Local (my computer) has 2 monitors, remote also 2 monitors. 

Sesion 1:  local1 - remote 1 and

Sesion 2: local2- remote 2.

Or you can have both sesions on one of yours displays as two windows, or any other combination.

Only the problem is when the displays are phisically positioned at diferent directions, e.g. one site are horizontally next to each other, another site are vertically... then you must know how to move the mouse.

• the problem is that is not possible to utilize the remote as a 2 minotor system as rdp does, apparently if the remote has already 2 monitors is not a problem. However most of the cases things are oposite and the remote is just a remote server in some basement

• JoeDrummer

As you can see from the follow-ups in this thread, this is an issue many of us would like to see solved.  If RDP can do it, TeamViewer should too.

This is the scenario to solve for I believe. Use a HEADLESS (aka, NO MONITOR) as the remote target, with the goal of being able to extend the monitor for the user to 2 monitors at the monitor's native resolution.  This is easy with RDP. We would like to see it be just as easy with Team Viewer.

• in fact no competitor software except RDP can do it, I have tried them all. This will bring you ahead of everybody, cause this is what people want, the other way aroung makes no sense just a useless gadget. if RDP had the half speed of teamviewer I would use RDP instead, however you are way faster but you supported a usesless feature IMHO, the logical thing is to extend the monitor not to split.

• tc2017
    tc2017 Posts: 1

This is my exact issue, headless machine, and two local monitors. My problem with RDP is no support for Open GL or direct X for 3d applications

• BF
    BF Posts: 1

Totaly agree with you. TV had this option in the previous version. Why is this disapeared? An update is needed quickly.

• JK4507
    JK4507 Posts: 2

This is the perfect solution!

For multiple monitpors -> Open 2 sessions to same computer.   Perfect.

Thank you.!

• How do I do this on a Mac?  That screen shot is from a PC and it does not have the multiple screen icon.

Please let me know.

• JK4507
    JK4507 Posts: 2

I can not help you with Mac but i would imagine that it works the same way. 

---> 2 concurrent logins to same target PC - one for each monitor.  It is a brilliant - thank you TeamViewer.  

• dimoto
    dimoto Posts: 7

Thank TeamViwer for allowing this,

Thank me for discovering it! :-)

• if u discover how u can move windows from one session to the other I ll send u a cake, until then your discovery is useless and I suggest you read this post from the top instead of hijacking it with pointless discoveries.

• dimoto
    dimoto Posts: 7

"if u discover how u can move windows from one session to the other"

Just drag any windows from one sesion to another :-)

Mind the phisical location of the monitors, if it doesn't match, you must follow theremote layout.

And sorry, if this solution was  proposed by somebody else, I couldn't find it and discovered it by pure experimenting.

Anyway, it is a good solution, enjoy it!

• Am I missing something? If I open another session to the same computer all I get is two windows with exactly the same thing. What the poster wants is the ability to remote in, then on local computer put one application on monitor 1 and a different application on monitor 2.

If I open two sessions as suggested then I just get two windows showing the same thing.

• @BlackAngel23 wrote:

If I open two sessions as suggested then I just get two windows showing the same thing.

Use the icon switch monitor in Teamview screen (top right

Capture.PNG

Do this only on one of your sesions 

• thank you for this great advise !

I was looking for an alternative for TeamViewer because of this disadvantage !

• Nope, this is not a solution at all, if u change a window or open a new thing in one session, the other session also behaves similarly. U cannot work on 2 different things in the 2 sessions. 

• Works like a dream!

Don't forget to switch to the correct (different) monitor for each sesion, see the previous posts.

• My remote machine has only one monitor

• Then TeamViewer is not for you- the way how it works is that it mirrors existing monitor, unless you find a way to mimic second monitor... can't help with this.

• JoeDrummer

That's not an accurate statement.

On Team Viewer, if a user logs into a headless system, they get the single-monitor experience. If a user logs into a single-monitor system, they get the single-monitor experience. If a user logs into a dual-monitor system, they get the single-monitor experience. If TV worked the way you described, on a headless no-monitor system the user would get no display.

This should not be rocket science. Microsoft figured it out with Remote Desktop somewhere back in the XP days. The expereince for the user should allow for the ability to extend the remote systems displays to match what's sitting in front of the user. In Remote Desktop, I can RDP into a headless no monitor system, and if I'm sitting at a dual display, I can work on that remote headless system as if it has a dual display. 

Come on Team Viewer, figure this out for us!

• @dimoton,

Which Version of Teamviewer do you have?  I (like most other?) don't see your button to switch between monitors.

I think, that the big question

• Any version, I do this for years (windows) and keep always updated to the latest. It has always been there, at the top right:

Capture.PNG

• And once you have open one session, then open again TV control panel and open the same session again, you will see warning message:

Capture.PNG

Click on connect and new (second)  window will open with the same screen, just move it to the next monitor and switch on it the second remote monitor.

Important: You must have two monitors on the remote computer, otherwise it will not work, which is quite obvious

• Yes, and i am an Idiot :-)

On a desktop computer, both Monitors have to be SWITCHED ON!!!! that did the trick!

On a Laptop, the second one, has only to be connected...

Thanks

• deejinoz
    deejinoz Posts: 34 ✭✭

I think there is a degree of talking across purposes here. I think the original poster was after being able to connect to the remote computer, whether it is headless or only has one screen attached, when his local computer has two monitors. He should be able to tell TeamViewer to utilise the two local screens, regardless of the screens on the remote system.

In Microsoft's RDP world this is the /span or /multimon options, when connecting using mstsc. These options let you use (with varying degrees of flexibility, depending on Windows versions, builds and what monitors you do or don't have remotely or locally).

What we want TeamViewer to do is to allow us to connect to a remote system, that has 0 or 1 monitors and still tell TeamViewer to connect using 2 monitors, as long as I have two monitors to use locally. Microsoft, through RDP and Citrix, through HDX and VMware through PCoIP are all able to do this.

Now it's time for the developers at TeamViewer to catch up... Time to start improving your virtual video addapter guys!