Setting up Wake On LAN (WOL)

Hi guys, I know that this maybe or probably was answered before but for the love of all that is holy I can not get this to work :(

I have a laptop and two desktops I have enabled Wake on LAN on, it seems simple enough, one board being asus was a little more tricky to find, a gigabyte board was easier and the acer laptop was simple also to enable.

I enabled the setting on the network card in device manager to accept magic packets or whatever. I logged into my asus router and at port forwarding I entered all the computers IPs and port 9 in both sections and set it for both TCP and UDP.

In teamviewer I selected the public option and copied and paste my IP number for the router, not the 192.168.1.1 which is my gateway and dns for all the systems on the network. I can see the option in teamviewer to wake the systems but NONE of them work.

I use windows 10 on all systems and the primary router is connected to another asus router that only extends the network, it has its own IP 192.168.1.101 but acts soley as a extender, doesnt have a routing table enabled (dhcp)

Now I know a little bit about networks but act as if I know nothing please... as far as I am concerned it could be anything even how the two routers are connected as I just plugged in and messed with it until it worked to get all systems on the network and internet. Maybe I am making it more complicated than it really is? Maybe its something silly...? PLease some help :)

Comments

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @N0madS0uL,

try using another service to send the magic package. Does it work with your current configuration?

And yes... there are several threads on the topic I suggest you review. Try searching on this community with the term WOL.

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• Hey thanks for the reply, im rather clueless as I said but Im trying...

Some questions if you please...

1. That link you sent with the little app, do I use my router IP not the 192.168.1.1 but the WAN IP?
    2. Do I then type in the MAC address of the network card i.e. pc that I want to wake up?
    3. Must this pc have its port forwarded on my router first? 
    4. Can I use both UDP and TCP or must it be TCP exclusively?
    5. On my router to add a port forward it reads Service name, Source IP (says it can be blank, should I leave it blank) Port range (I used 9) Local IP (I set a static IP for each PC) Local port (I used 9 again) Protocol (I used both TCP and UDP)

Is this correct? Do I need to use something else? Coz the app you linked also didnt work... :S