Posted by IzzySM
Electron

Use Teamviewer for both commercial and non-commercial use

Hello!

I've used TeamViewer for non-commercial use for a lot of years, since it all started and I've enjoyed it since!

However, I recently started working for a company who uses TeamViewer for commercial use and that's where the problems have started.

I uninstalled my current TeamViewer install and installed it again and choose "Both" for what my use is, Commerical and non-commerical.I've got a private TeamViewer account which I'm using for controlling my other computers at home and helping family members and I also got a commercial user from my company which I'm using to log in to help customers of that company. This all worked for a week until now when I'm currently getting this message when I'm trying to remotely connected to my computer at home from a Samsung Galaxy S8+: "Blocked because commerical use suspected", and the currently inlogged user on that home computer is my private user.

I kind of understand the message, if I would be logged in with my commerical license, but I'm only using that license a few days a week at most, and I'm logging out from my personal/private account when I'm using my commerical account to help customers, otherwise I'm always logged in with my private/personal TeamViewer account.

Is it not possible to use it in this intended way, I can't really understand the option to choose "both" when installating TeamViewer if so. Or do I have to do something to get it working the way I've described?

Best Regards

10 Replies
Posted by Former Staff Katharina
Former Staff

Re: Use Teamviewer for both commercial and non-commercial use

Dear IzzySM,

Thank you for your post and please excuse the late reply.

I am happy to hear that you have been using TeamViewer for a few years already!

From the information which you have kindly provided it seems that you wish to switch between your personal and your professional TeamViewer account on the same device. However, TeamViewer unfortunately does not support mixed use of accounts on a specific device. 

The free version can only be used on devices that are used exclusively for private connections. Since all connections are established from the same ID, no matter whether they are of a private or commercial nature, TeamViewer cannot discern when you are using it for private and when you are using it for commercial purposes.

If you connect from a device using your commercial TeamViewer account (the account where your licence is activated), a trial will be started. Once this trial has expired, this account would require a licence to continue use on that device.

I do of course understand that it would come in handy to be able to use both your private and your professional account from the same device, which is why I have forwarded your request to our product management. 

As for the option "both" that you can select during installation, it is what you would select if you would like to use TeamViewer for private and commercial connections on that device. However, as explained above, as soon as any of the connections that you establish are of a commercial nature, you would always need a licence on that device (even for your private connections). Here is an overview of the installation options that might help:

Private use: No licence required

Commercial use: Licence required

Both: Licence required

I hope this information helps. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. 

All the best,

Katharina

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks!
Posted by YW
Henagon

Hello,

I'd like to ask a follow-up question.

Say I have computer A, B, C1, C2.
A is a commercial computer with teamviewer license.
B, C1, and C2 are non-commercial computers at home without license and installed with "personal usage".
Only B's teamviewer is logged in with a teamviewer account.

In this situation, can I:
(1) use B to control A, C1, and C2?
(2) use C1 or C2 to control B? (This was the scenario asked in the original post and the answer was no in March 2018 but I'm not sure whether it's fixed by the production management team.)

Explanation: B is my main personal computer, C1 is my phone, C2 could be a personal computer from any of my friend.

Thank you,
YW

Highlighted
Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Hi YW

Thanks for posting.

A is commercial. So you cannot use the free version to connect to it at all from any of the other 3.

You cannot cross free use and commercial use. And as A is a commercial device, you cannot connect to it from the free version, you must utilise the license.

The only thing to remember is that if you are connecting to a commercial device, you need to be using a license and a device cannot be used for both commercial and free purposes

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
7 Replies
Posted by future_evolium
Digon

I wonder how a device can't be used for both accounts private and commercial as soon as at installing there is the existance of selection both? What that "both"  propose is?

Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The "Both" button is there to remove any "Grey" zones.

The free version does not cover any amount of Commercial use. So the "Both" button indicates you are using it commercially. This will start the Commercial trial the same as the "Commercial" button.

This way if people are going to be using it both commercially and personally, it is clear that this is not covered by the free version.

The free version of TeamViewer cannot be used on a device that is used for commercial purposes. So although I understand that some of your usage is commercial and some is personal, the only way for us to create a system that splits commercial and personal use on one device would be to monitor the content of your connections which we will not (and can not) do as the connections are end-to-end encrypted.

It would also not make sense for us to only track the usage by accounts as they can be easily deleted or replaced, also the software can be used without an account.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
Posted by future_evolium
Digon

I didn't know anything about limitation (gray buttons) in the case of free version, but if you say that this is the big difference and you can't find a solution to be solved between two type of using commercial and non-commercial I give you a hint. Deliver two software one free and another one commercial, they should be totally different but it will be clear which software is used and for what propose. You should see that this mix between commercial and non-commercial really created a problem in thousands of users using teamviewer. At this moment I'm locked with free account.

Posted by StephenMetcalfe
Henagon

I have to agree with above comments. I have an old private account, and my work account (licensed) - with different email adrreses, obviously. Using the licensed account has made it impossible to use my private account.  I connect to literally one device at home with this one, and you can understand why I wouldn't want this device on our company list.

I see the comments about letting the developers know. Surely you can see the use case here, especially when a company uses shared connection lists.

Posted by Brausmith
Electron

I too am now stuck in this private vs commercial situation. What a terrible design decision.

The sad part about it is that TeamViewer is trying so hard to determine if a connection is commercial, that in doing so they **bleep** over some of their more loyal commercial customers who would also like to occasionally use it privately.

Here's my use case. I frequently travel, and at times my wife at home has PC issues. While I am sitting in my hotel room I need to be able to provide some private remote tech support.

What a mess.

Posted by ChrisDC
Henagon

Agreed, this is a problem. I sometimes need to connect to the office, using our commerical license. I would log into the commercial licensed account, and log out when done. I'd like to use my personal account to control other PCs in the household. I obviously can't do that or run the risk of my personal machine being flagged. A machine that would never be connected FROM a commercial device, although that would not flag anything. You guys need to solve this.

Posted by Fuzzosaurus
Electron

I am having this same issue and as the teamviewer account admistator for my company. I am having a tough time deciding to keep our subscription running if they can not manage to handle such a simple and common situation. I was about to upgrade our account to a higher pricing teir but there are plenty of other remote connection software out there. Not to mention the fact that this situation has been happening for over 2 years and no attempt at a solution has been made.