Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

I have disabled teamviewerd.service for security reasons with "sudo systemctl disable teamviwerd.service". I only start the service when I actually need to use Teamviewer.

I notice that every Teamviewer update overwrites the systemd configuration and re-enables the background service without my consent. I am not happy with the behaviour of Teamviewer updates und would highly recommend to modify the installation script in a way that the user is asked if the startup configuration should be changed or not. This is common practice in the Linux world.

My system: Ubuntu 18.04 64bit.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Re: Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

I've been running into this problem for a while, too, and was hoping that the company Teamviewer would eventually fix this on their own.  That didn't happen.

This is incredibly annoying as I have to manually disable and stop teamviewer on every update. If your daemon is disabled, it should *stay* disabled.

Please remove that "feature", thanks.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Security/ Bad Packaging: Teamviewer updates re-enable disabled teamviewerd.service

I agree with this, especially since it is pulling logs from other services on the system. For now I am running the following cronjob.

@reboot /usr/bin/bash -c '[ `systemctl is-enabled teamviewerd` != 'disabled' ] && systemctl disable --now teamviewerd'
Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

There are sure solutions like cron script but I am convinced, that sw is very much about trust and the question is, how can I trust sw incl. its producer, who enable access to my computer despite I refused it.

1. Such an importatnt item should be manageble and visible even by very stupid user because of even he/she has the right to make the decision when exactly to open and when to close this door. So even workable commandline solution is bad.

2. I had a problem with teamviewer even before, because of I didn't see a clear description, who has the control of the permission list? Is that done e.g. by some keystore on my computer (where:?) or is that somewhere at Teamviewer server? I.e. is that technically possible, that Teamviewer company "changes my decision" simillarly to the one of not starting the service?

The second item was a blocker for me for professional use, the mentioned re-enabling of running in background means sorry for my mum, who likes it.

From my point of view is the only solution uninstall and check some possible residuals.