Ubuntu Linux refuses to connect to Teamviewer servers

Myst
Myst Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hello, I am using Ubuntu Server 16.04 and I have reinstalled and started from sratch about 12 times in an attempt to get Teamviewer working. Each time it refuses to connect to the internet asking me to input proxy settings but no matter what I input it refuses to connect.

I am using LXDE as my desktop environment and it works under xrdp but not teamviewer.

I have tried this with both Teamviewer 11 and Teamviewer 12 and both give the same issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• Myst

Hello, I am using Ubuntu Server 16.04 and I have reinstalled and started from sratch about 12 times in an attempt to get Teamviewer working. Each time it refuses to connect to the internet asking me to input proxy settings but no matter what I input it refuses to connect.

I am using LXDE as my desktop environment and it works under xrdp but not teamviewer.

I have tried this with both Teamviewer 11 and Teamviewer 12 and both give the same issue.

• Myst

Really? No staff can help me with this?

• Reyhan
    Reyhan Posts: 269 Staff member 🤠
    Dear Myst,

Thank you for your post, we are currently working on this issue. :smileyhappy:

Did my reply answer your question? Please accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
    Reyhan
  • Shevchuk
    Shevchuk Posts: 2 ✭✭

Having the same poblem. Nice to hear that you are already working on it, any ETA?

• Shevchuk
    Shevchuk Posts: 2 ✭✭

Seems to be working for me now. I know there is an issue with Wayland, but that was not my case (using Xorg).

• karls
    karls Posts: 1

I just installed v12 on my UbuntuMate 16.04 system as I am going overseas I want to have access to my PC for banking purposes. The problem is I just get Not Ready. Please check your connection. and my connection is fine, as I can surf, view the internet, email, whatsapp, even post this message from the same PC. It also keeps popping up a dialog asking for proxy settings, when I am not using Proxy. It's PC, Switch, Router, ISP. 

Is there any idea of when this problem will be resolved? I am leaving in less than 1 day.

• same problem. running ubuntu 16.04, using lxde. 

• the unsupported tarred version runs and connects fine. thus showing it's not actually a problem with my internet connection.

• I have also had this problem. On both the .deb and tar.gz.

Installation works fine, and can connect to TV servers just fine when signing in.

Upon reboot, however, I cannot sign in. It is as if the sign in button isn't functional. That's the best way to describe it.

• vicsanca
    vicsanca Posts: 1

Same problem in xubuntu 16.04.

sudo service teamviewerd restart solves the problem untli next reboot in my case.

• dwheale
    dwheale Posts: 3

This works for me. I'm having the exact same issue and I'll use this until a proper fix comes out

• meduzapat
    meduzapat Posts: 1

same issue, after a restart (I normally never do, but updates asked) the "computers screen" failed to connect, I did a sudo service teamviewerd restart and everything is ok now.

• mgogala
    mgogala Posts: 1

Running 17.04 and having the same problem. I ended up removing it and installing it on my Windows 8.1 VM.

• Same problem here

• Re: Not ready. Please check your connection in Ubuntu

Here ism a solution for general network (DNS, Server, Connections, Loading, Teamviewer ...)  issues which solved the Teamviewer "Not Connecting".  

I realized that this issue was originating from a service called ‘systemd-resolved’. This is a DNS caching and validating service that comes pre-installed with Ubuntu 17.04

The solution came from this website

https://www.hecticgeek.com/2017/04/ubuntu-17-04-systemd-dns-issues/.service NetworkManager status

Go to the Update section half way down

• Trolf
    Trolf Posts: 1

Same problem here with Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.3.

• it is also happening on windows as well

• ack0329
    ack0329 Posts: 40

After solving the issue as per my previous post, I had some other network issues from my messing around with it and I re-installed Ubuntu-Gnome 16,04.3 (the  newest of course) and ...

All is fine now. 

(perhaps uinrelated but logging into the "Default" session instead og Gnome or the other 3rd one solved some issues as well - heck if I know why, but it may be worth a try)

• ack0329
    ack0329 Posts: 40

Same problem after Upgrading to Ubuntu 17.04 Beta, but i was tired of paolying around with network connections hoping it would fix itself in the final version.

and, this worked for me after 2 weeks of giving up. 
    It won't survive a reboot though, but it is a temporary fix.

sudo teamviewer daemon stop
    sudo teamviewer daemon start

I hope this helps, Mark
    Ubuntu 17.10 Beta with Gnome

• Thanks, @ack0329 ! I confirm it works on my Ubuntu 16. But why wouldn't the TeamViewer team fix it finally??

• "Rheyan - Nov 26 - 2016

@Reyhan wrote:
    Dear Myst,

Thank you for your post, we are currently working on this issue. :smileyhappy:

Reyhan,

I call BullSh!%$^t, How can a network programmer not be able to fix a simple "Networking" problem like this,

in Laymans terms, Reconnecting or restarting or repopulating the network when it GIVES the Fatal message ...

"No Connection"

SERIOULSY!!!!!

Rocket Science - I think NOT!  Does TeamViewer care? - Obviously and hypocritically NOT!

p.s. and TeamViewer is so proud of TeamViewer 13 - but only for PAYING Customers in the Beta Stage, and the webpage is seriously a dog's breakfast trying to get you to cough up >$1,000 for a subscription.

Trying to help, believe itor not, Mark

• OK, So here is a BETTER FIX Revisited that survives reboots!  And I may have to apologize to Reyhan (TeamViewer Moderator) as it MAY be just an Ubuntu problem. (I say MAY because I still think TeamViewer must be able to find a solution if they REALLY CARED 1 1/2 years LATER!)

But here it is - and Easy-Peasy too.

1st Edit a file called,   "/etc/systemd/resolved.conf"

sudo nano /etc/systemd/resolved.conf

Find

#DNSSEC=No        or,

#DNSSEC=Allow-Downgrade,

Either way "Uncomment the line" (Take out the hash) and make it equal to off.  ex) ..

DNSSEC=off

Save and Exit Nano (Ctl+X and Y for yes) Enter

Reboot or ...

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved

That’s it. But remember, now you’re running DNS queries without DNSSEC which could create security risks. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, then roll back the changes you made to the configuration file and simply follow the below steps to replace ‘systemd-resolved’ with ‘unbound’.

https://www.hecticgeek.com/2017/04/ubuntu-17-04-systemd-dns-issues/

Trying to  Help, Mark

• Thanks, Mark. Other than security risks, do you think this solution may mess up with other apps?

• @Dr_Zaszus wrote:

Thanks, Mark. Other than security risks, do you think this solution may mess up with other apps?

No, I don't think so. 

And for another method that does seem to tinker somewhat poorly sadly, is to install "Unbound".

I like this method because many people think Ubuntu's "resolved" is garbage and often causes the exact problem that teamviewer has in Ubuntu.

So here is my relatively simple way, it can seem overwhelming to config on so many other posts.

the latest Ubuntu's DNS problem with DNS and systemd-resolved that solved the issue for me

The steps are :

1/ add a line nameserver 8.8.8.8 in /etc/resolv.conf

• Having the same issue.  Unfortunately, Mark's plan didn't work for me...

I don't shutdown my computer often, so I can tolerate this problem for a while.  My "workaround" is to "sudo apt-get purge teamviewer" after every reboot, then reinstall my copy of Teamviewer12 -- it works flawlessly!

It only takes a minute, but it's aggravating… and if there was a power failure on the other end, I cannot connect to that Ubuntu computer either...

• @johnnycatt: That did the trick for me. No other solution above worked. Its really frustrating.

Also the Sign in button behaves like it doesnt work which also was solved after purging and reinstalling

• MaltronCraft
    MaltronCraft Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I have the same problem with Ubuntu 17.10
  • NEOlit
    NEOlit Posts: 1

maybe that's just a crutch, but i've just edited my hosts file and it worked.
    just add a string into it under numbers to make it look:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 (your_device_name) - do not add this 2 strings, it already should be there. just add one below
    54.230.228.12 linux.teamviewer.com

• dubis
    dubis Posts: 1

That worked for me

Thank