Announcements

Become a product development partner for TeamViewer. Read more about it in our Announcement.

Posted by dlcplus
Henagon

Shift and Control Keys Do Not Work when Sharing A Session

When I establish a remote sharing session (meeting) on my Mac and "grant control" to meeting guests they can use the mouse and keyboard to control my shared screen - BUT when they try to use SHIFT and/or CTRL those keys do not work.  Thus they cannot type in " or : or ctrl-c/v.

10 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Re: Shift and Control Keys Do Not Work when Sharing A Session

Hello,

We have been unable to reproduce the issue with " or :

However, please keep in mind that the controlling side has to use the shortcuts from the remote side, meaning that the controlling side (windows) has to use windows + c as well as windows + v as the shortcut for copy and paste on mac is CMD + C / CMD + V

Please let me know if it still does not work.

Best regards,

Rene

Rene - 2nd Level Support
9 Replies
Posted by dlcplus
Henagon

So you're saying when I'm on a Mac and sharing a Windows RDP session the guest I grant control to needs to use Windows+C/V - Weird, but I'll try that.

As to : and " - again, it is because the SHIFT key does not work - no shifted keys work. Basically none of the "special" keys are being passed (control, command, shift, windows, alt) - thus none of those functions work.

This IS repeatable!
TeamViewer Staff

Hello,

not quite, what I am saying is that if you're the host (Mac) connection to a client (Windows) and then turn the connection around - thus the Windows user controlling the Mac - the other side needs to adjust to the shortcuts of the Mac and as such use windows + c / windows + v to copy / paste.

In relation to the shift key - is that in relation to the Mac controlling the Windows PC or the other way around? I have tested both ways with TeamViewer v13 (13.1.3629) and have not had any issues.

Best regards,

Rene - 2nd Level Support
Posted by dlcplus
Henagon

Ok, my laptop is MacBook Pro. I open TV from macOS and then share out my Windows RDP session (using RoyalTSX client) - and only share that window. My guests are able to control (mouse/keyboard) but none of the "special" keys work (shift, caps, control, windows/command, alt).
Posted by helpmeclayton
Henagon

I have this same problem.  Especially when trying to control a remote session through a teamviewer session.  Modifier keys are not passed through. so I cannot enter an email address, or anything that requires a shift to capital letters.

TeamViewer Staff

Hello everyone,

apologies for the delay, but I have tested some configurations in order to try to reproduce the same.

So far I have tried:

* Windows 10 to Windows 2012 R2 via TeamViewer (13.2), then RDP to another Windows 2012 R2 Server

* Windows 10 to Windows 2012 R2 via TeamViewer (13.2), then RDP to another Windows 2012 R2 Server and then connect to a MacBook via Teamviewer again

* Went from a Windows 10 to Windows 2012 R2 - then swapped sides and opened a RDP session on the Windows 10 to a different Windows Server

None of those attempts show any issues in relation to typing / symbols / capitalization of letters, etc.

At this point everything points towards 3rd party RDP software not parsing  / passing on the keystrokes.

If you can give me specific examples with programs, versions, etc. I can attempt to reproduce and then, if the issue is with us, move it on to the devs to have a look at the same.

Best regards,

Rene - 2nd Level Support
Posted by helpmeclayton
Henagon

my configurations have been:
MacOS <teamviewer> MacOS <Microsoft RDP 10> Windows Server 2012R2

Posted by PaulBemelmans
Henagon

My chain has been Windows-10 Teamviewer->MacBook Air running RDP->Windows Server 2012, and indeed no modifier keys get through. No CTRL, no SHIFT, and neither CTRL-C for copy on the initial Windows-10 machine nor Windows-C seem to effect a COPY operation on the ultimate target, the Windows Server 2012 instance at the end of the chain.

Oh and right-click doesn't work either.

Note that on the intermediate machine (MacBook Air) everything does seem to work - from Windows-10 to the Mac. And physically at the Mac using RDP everything also works. It's only the 3-machine chain where modifier keys and right-click fail.

Posted by bhull
Photon

Nowhere do you mention Mac
Posted by PaulBemelmans
Henagon

@bhull wrote:
Nowhere do you mention Mac

Oh but I do - twice. A MacBook Air is a Mac. And the modifier keys get lost somewhere along the chain of Teamviewer to Microsoft RDP. In isoloation both work fine, but strung together and the problem appears.