Why am I getting ads in paid teamviewer?

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Why am I getting ads in paid teamviewer?

What is this? Why is there a ad on my 5-channel corporate Teamviewer account?  This isabsolutely ridiculous. Spam the free users with ads, that's expected. Don't **bleep** off your paying customers.

Capture.PNG

https://imgur.com/NXNbg5c

55 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Why am I getting ads in paid teamviewer?

I was just trying to find a place to complain about this.  I think I'm going to cancel.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Make sure you email salesteam@teamviewer.com and let them know how angry you are.

Highlighted
Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for your messages.

First of all: We are sorry that you received ads although you are licensed customers. Of course - customers with a license and their customers are excluded from seeing these types of ads on our tool.

I investigated why the ad was shown to you and my findings are that there was a mistake in the system settings which caused you to see the ad. The team is currently looking into this to make sure that you do not see the ad anymore.

In general for non licensed users or all who got this ad by mistake: If you are not interested in the offering and don’t want the ad to be shown to you anymore, please click “Don’t show this message again” in the lower left corner of the ad and we will not show you the ad on the same device anymore.

Thank for for you understanding and once again sorry for the trouble,

Esther

Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button. Find more information here: Knowledge Base | Community Blog | How to get started

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

There was nothing to click but the ad and it brought you to the website.  There was no X to shut it off and nothing where I could click to indicate I didn't want to see it again.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

I get annoying popups for beta versions too.  I don't know how to stop those even though I have the  "do not install beta versions" option set properly.

It's generally becoming an annoying ad-based product and I'm going to be looking at alternatives.  

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I agree with the other users; it is unacceptable that TeamViewer is now pushing ads. Stop this foolishness now. Are you also selling our contact information? Really makes me wonder...

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Got an ad today on an enterprise license.  For outsourced IT services nonetheless.  

It's clear this issue isn't fixed yet.  

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I have the same problem, how to diable this? It's anoying and teamviewer was not cheap btw.!

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

THIS IS NOT FIXED.  You're looking VERY arrogant and it's just to acceptable for PAID software.

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

I am seeing ads and I have a 2 year service account. I want them to stop.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Fully Disable advertisements for software we pay for

We're a long term premium customer and have been seeing pop up ads in TeamViewer like it's going out of style.  Since when did paid software start treating me like I'm a web user in 2001?

Is there a setting to disable this domain wide?Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 11.30.06 AM.png

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Re: Fully Disable advertisements for software we pay for

Seriously uncool!

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Re: Fully Disable advertisements for software we pay for

I complained officially to support, they told me it would take fifteen days to be off their ads. This is awful. It drives me mad each time I close a session and get a new ad.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

I have Teamviewer for business yet I get many ads. It's unacceptable. Teamvewer, get your act together and stop spamming paid subscribers.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I just got an Ad after signing off from a customer in 2020.  My copy of TeamViewer is paid for.  This issue is marked as "solved".  The implication is TeamViewer does not have a problem with spamming their paid customers and thus "problem solved".

The listed solution to mark the Ad does not even seem like a work-around.  It rather seems like you are instructing us to play along with your spamming and acknowledge your Ads or you will keep showing us the same Ad.

Posted by
Digon

This is still happening and I'm **bleep**ed. Previously I was advised that the ads that were obstructing my workflow, were only for additional TeamViewer products and services. That was or became true after they fixed a previous blunder which caused third-party ads to be displayed for some users, but ANY ad, of ANY sort is an unwanted interruption to professional work. 

The operating system prompt that the TeamView app needs my attention is an interruption to my workflow and current train of thought. Taking a moment to assess the relevency of the ad destroys FOCUS and FLOW and costs my and my employer productivity and is therefore a COST to the business. 

Now for just a moment, consider the accumulative impact this has across all users of TeamViewer. One silly little decision by the vendor invoking many THOUSANDS of instances of unwanted and unecessary engagement from users. If a user wants or needs a problem to be served by a product or service, they will seek it out. Don't presume and make everyone go out of their way to say, 'No thanks,' jsut for those FEW who might say, 'Yes,' and could otherwise seek a solution if they needed it badly enough to do so! 

Turn off ALL ads for paying customers! 

2 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

May 2020 and I am still getting ads every time I close a connection, on my paid account.  I have pressed and keep pressing the "Do not show this again" link, but it seems that Teamviewer Gmbh ignores my wishes, much like other spam companies do with our unsubscribe requests from their mailing lists.

This practice of forcing ads down the throats of paying customers is apalling, and frankly if I had the time and energy I would seriously check if there is any european consumer law protecting us from such behavior.  As it is though, I will most likely spend 1/10th of said energy to simply change to another remote control software, since teamviewer is not the only player in the field anymore...  

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

I continue to get these paid ads. As a PAYING customer I am incensed. Teamviewer, why sre you SILENT on this?

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

How is your investigation going? Because I am still getting annoying pop-up ads in the paid version of Teamviewer.

Your workaround doesn't work because I have selected the option to not recieve ads numerous times.

This is really not cool for an expensive paid product

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues!

If the button does not work for you, please submit a ticket to our support team.

How to submit a ticket 

They will investigate your individual case.

Thanks, Esther

Community Manager

Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button. Find more information here: Knowledge Base | Community Blog | How to get started

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

@Esther The button to which you refer doesn't disable all future ads. It is intended to prevent only that particular ad from reappearing.

The main issue is that paying customers are receiving ads, regardless of who or what they are for.

Any ad is an interruption and negatively impacts workflow and breaks focus. When I'm on the phone with a client setting up a remote assist, encountering an unexpected pop-up creates unecessary delay and breaks my focus. - For me, this creates stress as I try to get my mind back on-task. 

I will not be a happy customer until all ads are removed for paying customers and expect you to acknowledge publicly here, whether or not TeamViewer intend to undo this implementation or not. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

I completely agree. @Esther  why are paid users seeing any ads at all?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @AK111 and @JellyAhHa 

Thanks a lot for your feedback. 

I will, of course, pass your feedback internally and I would like to encourage you once again to submit a ticket to the support to clarify your questions! 

Thanks and best,

Esther

Community Manager

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

With all due respect, if you give generic responses like that you shouldn't be surprised about people complaining over and over. 

Well of course you like support tickets! Please open a support ticket so it's not public how many people are affected by this issue! Open a support ticket, because it's YOU who has a problem, not our software and probably entire business model! Do they prefer those support tickets so they can pretend those are individual problems and not inherent flaws with the software?

1.NO, I want the documentation to be on here, online for everybody. This isn't about security or anything that has to be discussed behind closed doors. I googled my problem and found dozens of other people with the same issue! I want everybody to see how long this has been going on, how little TV has done to help and how weak their replies are. 

2.When a user logs in, the server will pull up his paid account and the software will obviously detect that he's a paid user. If from that point on it continues to display disruptive Pop-Ups and promo nonsense, there is something wrong and the software wasn't made right in the first place.

3. You don't need 37 identical support tickets. Poor TeamViewer corp! With this lack of support tickets how will they even be informed about problems?

....written in the huge TeamViewer forum with dozens of complaints that is a giant support ticket in itself. Pathetic. I mean no offense to any TV employee, I felt like i had to say this.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

The worst part of this is when you have a Pi-Hole that blocks the ad servers so you just get a gigantic white box covering your Teamviewer computer list.

Then you can't close the thing because it's just a blank white box and clicking all over it does nothing.

So then you have to close teamviewer completely and open it back up in order to continue working.

It's just unacceptable and a massive hindrance to business use.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

@Esther  thank you but you are missing the point. A "ticket" is for technical support issues. This is a BUSINESS issue. Please refer this thread to someone from marketing or other department responsible for this decision and ask them to post here explaining WHY Teamviewer is serving ADS to PAYING customers.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

I opened a case (again) and said I'm sick of the ads, linked this thread, and they are going to fix my email address to no longer get ads.  I log in with that email addy on maybe 20 devices, so they can do it via the email address instead of each device.

I am not convinced it's going to work (since it didn't work 2 years ago when Esther said they were working on it) but I'll keep this thread updated.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

It seems they are making an exception for you but their policy remains to Spam paying customers with ads. Is that your understanding?

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

That is correct, but if you create a case like I did they can fix it for you as well.  This is a forum, not an actual support ticket.

They must have some mechanism internally to push ads to people or not.  If everyone reading this thread creates a ticket and complains while linking support to this thread they might get it fixed too.

I'm not sure it'll actually fix it, but it's literally what Esther has been saying to do.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Yes but the bigger issue is why as a company do they choose to push ads to paying customers? That is the issue i am trying to get them to address as a matter of company policy, rather than fixing this for a few customers who are prepared to complain.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Yeah, if they send a marketing email once in a while maybe that would be OK.  But having ads for the 75 ancillary products that they keep spitting out, or sales for 50% off if you spend $8000 is just annoying. I agree fully.  But hey, there might be a legit fix, so I'm gonna roll with that.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

As someone who filed a similar ticket a few years back, the ads did stop... for about 6 months, then started up again.  As soon as a vendor offers a similar featureset without the ads, we'll be switching, because of these ads and poor support.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Hi @Esther  and thanks for your assistance with this.

Can you please clarify one important point: is it Teamviewer's official company policy to send ads to paying customers or is it not and these ads being shown to me and other paying users on this thread are a Teamviewer techical issue?

Which one is it? Company policy or technical problem affecting a few users?

A candid and open response would be appreciated so we can evaluate as your customers whether we are prepared to continue with our subscriptions.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for your honest feedback.

Please rest assured the Community team and I appreciate the time our users spend in providing the feedback.

I am trying to provide you with answers to your concerns as good as I can:

Let me start with a quick statement: The original topic of this thread from 2018 is talking about an ad that has been presented to some customers by mistake. This mistake has been resolved within a few days back in Oct/Nov 2018 and my initial reply is referring to that.

What we are now talking about are In-Product offerings that are aiming to offer our existing customers advantages and enhancements to their current license setup.

If you do not wish to take advantage of the offers provided, each PopUp contains a Do-Not-Show-this message again button. As @JellyAhHa stated correctly earlier, this button refers to the current campaign and not to any future campaigns.

However - there is a way to get also future campaigns removed and it is as I and others stated already via submitting a ticket.

Therefore coming back to the three points @e5rzhertdshz mentioned above:

1. It is about security. In this case: data protection - as you would need to share some personal data with the service team to get the popups removed completely.
  2. Personally, I would not call it non-sense 😉 but I understand if you do not want to enhance your current subscription with any further services. In this case, we are coming back to the topic I recommended before: Submit a ticket and share the needed information with the service team and they´ll remove the PopUps for your account.
  3. As we would need to handle each case individually, we do need separate support tickets, and each one of them will solve the case for a single customer who feels that the PopUps are not needed.

Please understand that I can't and won't make any statements on the business strategy of TeamViewer nor any other company. If you disagree with TeamViewer's approach to offer its services to existing customers, it is ok. We do not always have to agree with everything.

But - as some of you may know me already, of course, I took the feedback with me internally and talked to the responsible teams. They promised me to work on the current opt-out process and make it a full self-opt-out. As this requires some developing efforts, it will take some time, but it will come.

I am grateful that there are places like this community where customers and users can raise their opinion, provide feedback, and help a company to become better in the future.

In this sense: Thanks for being a member of our Community and have a great day,
Esther

Community Manager

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Hi @Esther  and thanks for the follow up. I am going to summarize your answer below because it needs further clarity . So I am taking these 3 points 1-3 as accurate, but please do correct me as needed:

1) It is Teamviewer's offical company policy to send ads/campaigns  to paying customers

2) Currently the only way to opt-out of all ads / campaigns is to submit  a support ticket

3)  Your development team is now working on an opt-out process

Let me offer some additonal comments @Esther :

A. Please stop telling us we can click to end the current "campaign". Everyone here has aready told you that is not what want - we want a complete stop to these ads/campaigns.

B. Please refer me to the specific section of Teamviewer privacy policy or other legal agreement  that I agreed to when I subscribed that states Teamviewer may advertise to me. This is an important point - you may want to ask your legal department. Please note I am not asking you to disclose Teamviwer corporate strategy or other internal information. I am asking you to refer us to Teamviewer's public policies, privacy policies or other legal agreements.

C. You are only making things worse by calling these ads "promotions" - they are ads plain and simple and it makes Teamviewer look misleading and evasive for you to say otherwise.

D. It's great news the development team is working on an opt-out process. I can't think of a major online platform that does not offer this so this is welcome and long overdue.

I and many users love the product. We are not loving Teamviewer the company and it's ridiculous policy of spamming its paying customers.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi and good morning AK111,

Thanks for getting back to me and for your feedback. It is great to hear that you love our software.

After checking internally, I am coming back to your question in your comment B. about the specific section within the Teamviewer Privacy Policy:

1. Please refer to our Product Privacy Policy under C.VIII in connection with D.VIII.
  2. You might also find the information here useful: General Privacy Policy under C.VI.2 in connection with D.VI.2

Here is the link to the Privacy Policy for your convenience: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/privacy-policy/Privacy Policy.png

Regarding the points in your summary, I need to add, that after reviewing the Privacy policy it is also possible to opt-out by sending an email to privacy@teamviewer.com. 

I hope this information helps.

Thanks and best,

Esther

Community Manager

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Hi @Esther  and many thanks for checking this. It is very helpful.

It's great to know opt-out can be achieved with a simple email to privacy@teamviewer.com. I swnt that email and am waiting for a response. I am sure you will find this information useful for advising other community users.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Completely agree with @AK111  and others complaining here!

@Esther, I'm pleased to read your comment that TV is working on a full self opt-out for promo messages. We'll see if/when that comes to pass, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

To throw in my opinion on advertising: If I have an unmet need and TV offers a solution to it then I will find it on my own. I don't need a barrage of promo spam suggesting products/services that I have expressed no desire for. When I/we click "don't show me this again", TV as a company can be quite sure that what virtually all of us really mean is "quit pestering me with ads" and not "I don't need this advertised service but please do feel free to show me more ads later on".

I've been a paid TV user for over ten years. Like others, I love TV and it does what I need better than darned near every other solution I've looked at. But please tell your bosses that abusing their (paying!) customers in this manner is bad juju!

It's like Microsoft. My I.T. consulting company uses lots of MS products so, like TV, it's unlikely I'll ever leave them, either. But I intensely dislike MS for reasons that could fill volumes. Please don't give me reasons to hate TV as well.

In the mean time, I'll open a support ticket to have advertising removed from my account. At least now I know that's possible.

thanks.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

After getting disrupted again multiple times in-between teamviewer sessions, I bit the bullet and played along; I just sent an e-mail to "opt-out" to privacy@teamviewer.com.

I also let them know what I think of their business practices, and pointed them to this forum topic.

I will let you know how this goes.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

For the attention of @Esther and anyone else who's upset has led them to this busy discussion: 

I too "bit the bullet" like @AK111 and went out of my way to send an explicit email "simply" to privacy@teamviewer.com - but the process wasn't as simple as one would imagine. 

I emailed, "Please unsubscribe my TeamViewer account from all advertisements, both third-party ads as well as ads and promos for TeamViewer products and services." 

The reply acknowledged and accepted my request, but I sensed they didn't appreciate the specificity of my need, so I sent a followup, "I’d just like to check that this will prevent any and all ads being presented to me within the TeamViewer app? (I am on a commercial license)." 

I was then told for that to happen, I'd need to supply the TeamViewer ID's from each computer I use with my account. - I'm extremely busy at the moment and current circumstances made this an unexpectedtly inconventient process. I'm relaying this here to publicise one example of how the decision to advertise to paying customers has impacted me and - by inference - many others, in addition to the impositions I face when trying to support customers. 

I am very unhappy about this palava. 

So a heads up for anyone wanting to stop ads being displayed within their commercially licensed copy of TeamViewer, you will need to: 

1. Grab the TeamViewer ID of each computer where ads appear in the interface
  2. Email privacy@teamviewer.com, but:
    • Be explicit you want ads within the app ceased
Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Just to let you guys have an update.

Contrary to JellyAhHa, when I sent the opt out request to privacy@teamviewer.com (sent May 21st, six days ago) I *never* got a reply.

My request was the following: (copy/paste).

"Hi. I am a paying teamviewer customer.  My registered e-mail is xxxx.  As per the instructions on your forum here (hyperlink to this forum thread) I am writing to you in order to ask you to stop spamming me with advertisements forever in-between my teamviewer sessions. I would also like you to know that I find your method of advertising and your business ethic appalling, and unless you rectify this I will seriously consider not renewing my license. A quick read of the forum topic will let you know what I mean. Thank you."

Since I sent this, I never got a reply, not even an automated one. To top that, just yesterday after a teamviewer session, I again got a pop up ad urging me to try their AR service. I am simply at a loss of words to describe my wonder at the way they conduct business...

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

i am sorry opt-out isn't working for you. I sent a similar email and received a confirmation of my opt-out in about 48 hours. So far it ha worked.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Unfortunately @Esther I just received a pop-up ad even though Cagri [last name removed by moderator per Community Guidelines] from Teamviewer support emailed me: " I have added your account into the list of Marketing that you should not have any pop-ups on your side as long as you are signed in with your licensed account."  Please appreciate this is simply not acceptable. Teamviewer is breaching the terms of its own privacy policy. I look forward to your response and internal investigation.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 1.03.59 PM.png

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I came here searching same thing. Been paying account for years, have always been annoyed by this.

Now that I see it's widespread, I'll be searching for a TeamViewer replacement. I'm guessing I can find an alternative that's cheaper that doesn't have this annoying problem.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

@Esther  - do you have an updare for the community? Why is Teamviewer not abidiing by it's opwn opt out policy?

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I just wanted to add to the criticism here. This behavior is completely unacceptable, and clearly intentional.

Your attempts to upsell your existing customers are costing my employees time, and costing me money in addition to the thousands of dollars already paid for our licenses.

You can tell your sales team that any upselling they are doing to existing customers will not account for driving away those of us who won't stand for this behavior.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Well said, we are all contributing our own and employees' time and money to make Teamviewer act like a responsible corporate citizen that abides by its own privacy and opt-out policies and stops spamming paying customers. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Ads???????????????????????????

Why am I getting a new ad in my paid Teamviewer app every day??????????????

Seriously annoying to get an ad every day when disconnecting from a support session.

I pay my subscription, I don't want ads!

Please give us the option to disable these ads, it is making me consider alternatives for my remote support business.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Agreed, this is driving me nuts. Even when I click on the "dont' show this again" it often proceeds to open up a browser and show me more ads. I've complained on Twitter but not much help there. Currently looking into alternative remote access software.