TeamViewer crashing on Windows on ARM (arm64)

TeamViewer crashes often on my Surface Pro X which runs Windows 10 on ARM (arm64). This device can run 32-bit apps through emulation when no native arm64 is available, which is the case for TeamViewer. So TeamViewer runs in 32-bit on this device.

When a crash occurs (e.g. when remotely controlling a customer's device), a log is visible in the Windows Event Viewer.

Reinstalling TeamViewer doesn't help unfortunately. Please let me know if I can provide any additional logs.

TeamViewerCrash.png

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• adsc
    adsc Posts: 0

Hi DennisA,

I understood from your post that the teamviewer is not working as it should do on the Suface pro X device, do you still have that problem?

I'm planing to purchase a Microsoft surface pro x device, but I'm hesitated because as you've mentioned most of the windows applications runs on the Surface uses the 32-emulator, the most important application I need is teamviewer & without confirming it runs on the Surface without any problems there is no point of purchasing it except wasting my money.

Kindly can you please share your experience.

Thanks.

• DennisA
    DennisA Posts: 7 ✭✭

@adsc Sorry for the delayed response.

TeamViewer has been working stable ever since I disabled the hardware acceleration. No more crashes 🚀

Still, a native ARM64 version would be nice, but the performance is quite good now!

• adsc
    adsc Posts: 0

@DennisA thanks for sharing your experience

Yes I agree with you having native ARM version would be much better.

Due to the criticality of the situation I had, I preferred to buy Surface Pro 7.

Anyhow I've shared my experience on this post https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/comment/114211#Comment_114211

• pdaconsulting
    pdaconsulting Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

I would be curious to know whether there has been update about this subject.

I'm using a Surface Pro X and feel kind of neglected.

The M1 processor was launched in November 2020, and TeamViewer dropped a M1 compliant version at the same time.

The Surface Pro X is here since October 2019.

A new Windows 64 bits version is here, and I thought "Great! They'll put the switch on ARM64 and compile a new version". Nope. Nada.

Please TeamViewer Devs, give us at least a beta.

And stop arguing that there is no market for it because [No interest for the device] = [No interest for the software] = [No Interest for the device]...

We actually made a first step... [Interest for the device].

Wish you all the best.

• DennisA
    DennisA Posts: 7 ✭✭

@pdaconsulting

A new Windows 64 bits version is here, and I thought "Great! They'll put the switch on ARM64 and compile a new version". Nope. Nada.

I gotta say that the 32-bit version of TeamViewer has been working fine on my Pro X - I had issues with hardware acceleration in the beginning, but those have been resolved in the meantime (I believe through a display driver update on Microsoft's side).

Tried the 64-bit version two weeks ago on Windows 11 (which supports 64-bit emulation) but it crashed when I tried to connect to another computer. The 64-bit emulation in Windows 11 is slightly buggy still, so I expect that to improve over time.

I think it's just a matter of time for TeamViewer to come up with a native ARM64 version of Windows. As a developer I know that a lot of toolchains/dependencies have been updated to support ARM64 lately (which I've been contributing to myself as well), so it should become easier and easier for TeamViewer to port things to ARM64 🤞🏼