connecting to my computer remotely

Having only used Teamviewer to help my elderly parents with simple computer related management issues, I am new to Teamviewer's other functions, please help with the following basic questions

- how do I connect to any (my own for example) computer remotely using my ipad?  NB: Teamviewer (free version) is installed on both my laptop and iPad

- A few years ago I installed Teamviewer on my elderly parents' (89 and 90 years in age) computer.  Using Teamviewer I have been regularly able to connect to their computer after they give me,  by telephone, the password.  It is now becoming increasingly harder for them to negotiate simple computer-related tasks.  How can I connect to their computer directly? 

Tagged:

Comments

• You need to tick 'Run along with Windows' on their computer, memorize (better write down) their ID, and create a permanent password in your settings to access their computer without using a temporary password

• Is that capability available with the free version of Team Viewer?

Thanks

• TotalPC
    TotalPC Posts: 87 ⭐Star⭐

Hello @ecorsini,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

As @grafwell stated, sounds like you'll want to set TeamViewer to start up with the computer and set a good permanent password on your parents' system so you can always easily remote in. Here's where you go: Extras, Options, then...

extras-options-general-start teamviewer with windows.jpg

The first time you check that box it's going to ask you what password you want to set for permanent access. Make it a good one.

After doing that I also go into Security and change "Password Strength" to "Disabled (no random password). The reason I do that is once I set a good strong permanent password, and with the system now always running TeamViewer, I don't have the need or want that random password showing on the main TeamViewer "Remote Control" area. It's a good idea when you have it setup this way on a less savvy user's system so no one ever tricks them into giving them remote access. As an additional security measure, we also go into advanced settings and make it so changes require a password. That way no one can go in there and change our password on us or change settings they shouldn't.

To make things a little easier on you, it sounds like you're doing everything without a registered TeamViewer account. If you sign up, when logged into the TeamViewer app, you can add your different system's TeamViewer IDs into the Computers & Contacts area and easily access them from multiple systems without the need of remembering multiple IDs and/or passwords after they have been added. An account also offers you the option for "Easy Access" using your account rather than a password to get remoted into their system.

Hope this info helps! Feel free to ask for further info.

-Cheers!

TeamViewer user since version 6 (2010). We used other remote software programs (TVNC UVNC PCAny) for many years before.