Wakeup On Lan (WOL) works when in Sleep mode but not in Shutdown

Hi,

I've applied the WOL configuration to two Dell Optiplex 7010 desktops. From the 'via another computer' I can wake one both from Shutdown and Sleep modes but the other will only wake up from Sleep mode and not from Shutdown. The PC has deep sleep disabled and latest BIOS installed.

The PC is connected directly by ethernet cable to my home router into which the 'via another computer' is also connected. The PC that does WOL from shutdown is connected via the 3-pin electric plugs of the house using Devolo plugs. I will continue to experiment as to what the cause is and update this post again.

Meanwhile, if anyone has had the experience, perhaps they would reply here, thanks.

Kind regards, Conor

Answers

• mcginncf
    mcginncf Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi,

I found a solution.

I identified a difference between the two target Dell's Intel 82579LM Gigabit drivers. The one that WOL used the Intel driver whereas the one that would not WOL used the Microsoft driver.

I updated the Dell from Microsoft driver Ver 12.17.10.8 dated 12 June 2018 to the Intel driver available from the Dell model's driver website to Intel Ver 12.12.140.22 dated 15 Feb 2015.

It now WOL from Shutdown and Sleep 😀

Best, Conor