teamviewer.com link icon
or
Ask The Community

So many timeouts all of a sudden! (Remote Control session terminates)

I've suddenly been getting a lot of timeouts and closed sessions ("Your TeamViewer session has timed out and will close"). Does someone have more insight into what is actually "timing out", and whether there's a parameter or two that can be tuned to reduce the problem?

I am new here in the forum but a longtime user of (free) TeamViewer for non-commercial purposes. I use it from my Windows laptop while on the road to access my desktop Windows PC back at home (Remote Control). Both are running Windows 10 and both are running the latest TeamViewer (15.26.4). And the only timeout-related parameter I can find is turned off (in the advanced settings, "Timing out inactive session") on both sides.

The frequent timeouts started when we changed internet providers at home. With Comcast (our old provider) I would get timeouts/closed sessions maybe once or twice a day, always when the connection was idle. (Ok, sometimes when it was not idle: I would be trying to use it, I would see it grind to a halt on the other end, and then maybe 10 minutes later I'd get the timeout message.. I think most of these were caused by network slowdowns on the local side).

Now that we have switched to a 5G WWAN home internet service from T-Mobile, I'm getting these interruptions at least 10 times a day, and often when the connection is active (by which I mean that I am in the middle of using it - and it happens without warning, with no slowdown or hang at all). I can be typing on my remote computer, seeing the characters echoing back immediately, no sign of any slowdown or network issues, and suddenly I get the timeout message and the session is closed. That never happened when Comcast was the ISP at home.

This is the only complaint we've had about the new T-Mobile service. It's certainly a slightly lower-bandwidth solution than what we had from Comcast, with slightly higher latencies (ping time) but (according to my roommate at home) there are no perceptible reductions in speed with the new service. VOIP telephony, for example, works perfectly, and that's a pretty demanding application.

So I have my doubts that an actual timeout of any kind is causing this (if it is, what could possibly be timing out when the session is otherwise working perfectly and transmissions are happening in real time? Unless the timer in question is set to pop after mere milliseconds, but why would that be, and why would I have not seen this happen with my old ISP?). Is there any kind of logfile that would record the reason for these sudden session closures? Any secret parameters I should try changing?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance!

Answers

• SFHal
    SFHal Posts: 2

Thank you everybody for all the comments and suggestions!

I wanted to provide an update in case anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future..

T-Mobile did some sort of update to its gateway device the other day, and since then I have not seen a single one of these spurious "timeouts". With Comcast internet on the remote end, my TeamViewer sessions would perhaps stay connected maybe 10-12 hours before being timed out due to network issues on the remote end; when we switched our ISP on the remote side to T-Mobile 5G Broadband, no session survived more than two hours without a "timeout" (which occurred despite no detectable network interruption), but after the gateway was updated, I have been connected continuously for 40 hours and counting.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the timeouts don't come back, but for right now I'd say the problem has been corrected, without, unfortunately, ever figuring out what the problem actually was.