Anyone else having issues with freezing when the remote machine is playing a video.

Options
Colin_Stone1978
Colin_Stone1978 Posts: 11 ✭✭

Since my team viewer updated yesterday (ver: 15.31.5 (32-bit) Both Host and Client

(Windows 7 to Windows 11)

Whenever I remote on to a machine that is displaying a video, I.E. Facebook post with a short video or a video on BBC News website, it seems to freeze for about 5 seconds, then I get maybe a second or two where I have control, then it freezes again. It only happens when the video stream is actually playing, but the video feed is paused everything becomes OK again.

The strange thing is while the video feed is frozen, the audio is playing fine.

I tried this on several different PCs remoting on to other different PCs and the same thing again, But with mixed results, all have lag / freezing, some worse than others.

(Windows 10 to Windows 10)

(Windows 10 to Windows 7)

All local T.V. versions are the latest version, but not all remote machine are updated.

Best Answer

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,987 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hello @Colin_Stone1978,

Great to see you posting for the first time!

What you could try is toΒ Optimize speedΒ when you are connecting to this specific device.

You will be able to set it up during your remote control session in your dashboard underΒ ActionsΒ β†’Β Quality:

This will prioritize the speed of the traffic and can, therefore, fix freezing issues during connections.

Let me know if this helped.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Colin_Stone1978
    edited July 2022
    Options

Thanks for the quick response,

Unfortunately I had already tried this and still the same issue, as well as unticking the Use UDP option in advanced options.

My connection on both ends are fast and solid,

Another thing I noticed was that if you say, click a web tab while the screen seems like it's frozen, it does actually do this at the time of clicking, but you don't see it till after the freeze stops, so it's the refresh rate of whats being displayed.

Everything was fine yesterday before my local machine's TeamViewer updated, now after that I hadn't noticed the issue, but then again I don't recall being on a web page where there was a video playing.

I have also tried to play a normal video file on the remote machine and it too causes the freezing, the issue is defiantly with the graphical video play back as I've loaded a web page full of images and fast scrolled up and down and it's smooth as it's always been. I have notice when a video is playing and you minimise the web page, the page around the video disappears but the video feed stays on for a good few seconds.

• Colin_Stone1978
    Options

A further update

So I thought, would this be the same for the android app, would I also see the lag / freezing.

Well No, I had a remote machine accessed by my local machine and my mobile phone, using my mobile phone I started a video, the display on my mobile worked fine, clear as day, nice and smooth, but on the local machine it had frozen. Using my mobile phone I covered the page with a video with another web tab and the local machine feed came back.

So that removes the issue from the remote machine and your servers (*maybe, depends on how you deal with Windows and Android) and puts the issue more towards the local machine rendering the feed rather than the remote machine sending the feed.

Hope this help.

• JeanK
    Options

Thank you for the additional details.

Playing around with UDP or using the speed option would have been my two suggestions here.

I am not sure what else we could try.

Maybe it's worth opening a support ticket and attaching the logs to it, so our engineers may have a closer look at it.

πŸ“© Open a support ticket

/JeanK

Community Manager

• jcortes63
    jcortes63 Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options

After installing version 15.31.5 on several home win 7 machines acting as client, image get frozen , sound is ok . I would like to go back to 15.29.x How to do it.?

Thanks in Advance.

I have a main pc for TV streaming the others are connected to this one just to have the same programs on diferent devices.

• JeanK
    Options

Hello @jcortes63,

Glad to see you posting again!

Unfortunately, it is not possible to revert to a previous minor version.

We cannot provide you with a previous installer of TeamViewer 15.29.x

Have you tried to completely uninstall and reinstall TeamViewer?

We thank you in advance for your understanding.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• jcortes63
    Options

Yes, It was completely uninstall ( delete files on roaming profile , Program and files dir , etc. ) and in three machines with the new version image get frozen.

• Phillip_Ross
    Phillip_Ross Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options

@jcortes63 [removed per Community Guidelines - Please do not download TeamViewer from third-party websites]

or go to

[removed per Community Guidelines - Please do not download TeamViewer from third-party websites]

and select the one you need. As with all things, don't trust people on the internet and scan the file before installing.

• jcortes63
    Options

I was able to find 15.10.5 in one of my previous installs from teamviewer web site and now client machines are working properly, I use TeamViewer only for Lan Connections in my house . Definitely 15.31.5 has a problem on client machines , as I said Image get frozen and sound is ok.

I use to have automatic updates in the past, in the future I will preserve always my last working version and then download the new one and test it, before replicating in the rest of the machines in the house.

I know I can not create an incident since I am a free user. But definitely 15.31.5 has problems with old win 7 machines.

I only use Teamviewer from remote to check the security cameras of my house.

• JeanK
    Options

Hello @jcortes63,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

I already have informed the dedicated dev teams about the issue.

If they can identify patterns on a larger scale, they will be working on a fix.

Have a great day and I wish you lots of fun with TeamViewer.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Colin_Stone1978
    Options

Sounds like you are having the same issue as me, Screen freezes for about 5+ seconds when a video is being played. only started to happen with the latest update.

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/124156/anyone-else-having-issues-with-freezing-when-the-remote-machine-is-playing-a-video

I unfortunately can't open a support ticket to have the T.V. team to take a proper look as my Boss is away for a few week and my account doesn't have the right to open a support ticket.

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @Colin_Stone1978 and @jcortes63,

I have merged the discussions, as the issue seems to have the same pattern.

@Colin_Stone1978, you don't have to wait for your boss to return. You can ask our customer support to help you open a ticket via Chat.

You need to go toΒ https://www.teamviewer.com/Β and use the chat feature at the right bottom corner of the page.

Our team will be happy to help.

Please keep us updated on how the situation evolves!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Colin_Stone1978
    Options

Thanks for that, I have now (Hopefully) got the support team looking in to it.

• JeanK
    Options

I'm crossing my fingers for you, @Colin_Stone1978! πŸ€

Don't hesitate to share the outcome in the thread, so @jcortes63 also gets the info.

Cheers,

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Ed_123
    Ed_123 Posts: 1 ✭
    Options

I am having the identical issue as Collin-Stone & jcortes. I have a paid version of TV, and so far TV support is telling me to uninstall-reinstall 15.31.5, which obviously didn't work for jcortes, or reinstall a previous version, which I think is substandard considering that I am using a paid version.

• jcortes63
    Options

with 15.32.3 same problem on the client side, image freeze, my last version running fine on the client side is 15.10.5.

jcortes

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @jcortes63,

Could you also update on the client side to the latest version and check if it works better?

Community Manager

• Squall_Leonhart
    Squall_Leonhart Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

This issue is a result of a regression in some aspect of the Fast Video feature, which is supposed to selectively downgrade the Colors in order to maintain stream responsiveness and possibly a compatibility issue with recent Nvidia display drivers on the remote host.

This issue only manifests when True Color is set, which all 3 buttons default to,

the problem does not manifest at High Color, or true color with fast video off, and some remote hosts do not manifest the issue.

i3 2420HQ+GT450 host, 1080p - not affected (391.35)

E5-1680v2+GTX1060 host, 1080p - affected. (516.96)

both machines are 1Gbit LAN connections (but the affected machine reproduces the issue with a via-teamviewer server connection as well)

I suspect this issue only reared its head when the issue linked below was fixed recently

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/113757/bug-report-remote-control-options-fast-video-streaming-not-saving

• Squall_Leonhart
    Answer βœ“
    Options

This is fixed in 15.33.7

• JeanK
    Options

Thanks a lot, @Squall_Leonhart, that you took your time to update the thread. πŸ™Œ

Happy connections,

/JeanK

Community Manager

• jcortes63
    Options

πŸ‘οΈ 15.33.7 working good.

• Yazzoo7
    Yazzoo7 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi guys. Little late to this party but I, too, was having the video freezing issue. I did some experimenting and found it was only one PC (Windows 10) that was having the issue. On another Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC, I didn't have any issues (and the TeamViewer settings in those were identical to the problem child PC). Here is something else I learned. The affected PC, which I had recently completely reformated, was running the newest version of TeamViewer, 15.34.4 as were the other PCs that I tested. However, on the problem child PC, when I uninstalled the newest version and then installed an older version of TeamViewer 15.18.5, I no longer had the issue with the video freezing. To summarize: Three PCs were tested. Two Win10 and one Win11. At first, all were running TeamViewer version 15.34.4 but only one PC (Win10) was having the issue even though all TeamViewer settings appeared to be identical. When I uninstalled 15.34.4 on the problem child PC and installed 15.18.5 the problem no longer existed.

• kramms
    kramms Posts: 1 ✭
    Options

I am having this problem on a new install both ends V15.35.7

Any other ideas?

• Squall_Leonhart
    Options

This seems to have degraded again with recent teamviewer updates in conjunction with nvidia 528 drivers.

A better experience is had with just disabling fast video, even on a 4k remote host resolution.