Lost recovery code

Options

Hi team, 

I have lost my recovery code and my mfa. I dont think there is a way around this other than getting in touch with you guys? Our company Admin said there wasnt much they can do either.

Your help is appreciated. 
Thanks

Regards, 
Kevin 

Credit Sense

Best Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 7,016 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Animesh

There are two options you can follow to get you started again:

If you own a professional TeamViewer license:

• Please contact our support via phone, they will guide you through the procedure: Contact us via phone

If you are using the free version of TeamViewer:

• You can create for free a new account: https://login.teamviewer.com/LogOn#register 
    • If creating a new account with a different email address is not an option and you want to use this same account again, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com.
    • As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer with this same email address.

Community Manager

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 898 Senior Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Dmdrl

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

The first thing I would suggest is to take a quick look in your downloads folder - At the end of the setup for two factor authentication, you are prompted to save the recovery key - one option is to download a txt file:

I bring this up as I was in your situation recently, and as a last resort I searched my downloads folder (which I never clean out... I know, I know...) but lo and behold - it was there! The filename is:

TeamViewer_recoverycode.txt

If, however, we are unable to locate the recovery code, then there would be no way to disable two factor authentication. As mentioned in our article on how to deactivate two factor authentication:

CAUTION: The Two factor authentication can not be deactivated by TeamViewer. If you lose your recovery key, you will also lose access to all TeamViewer features where your account is needed. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place.

As mentioned by our Community Manager @JeanK there are a couple potential solutions which depend on the version of TeamViewer used:

Should you have any other questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Take care!

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• JenW
    JenW Posts: 1,071 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JimmyRow,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community ! 🌍

First, could you please check if you have saved somewhere the recovery code when you activated TFA?

If you don't retrieve this recovery code, as a free user, there are two options you can follow to get you started again:

• You can use this brand-new TeamViewer account with your old email address.
    • If this option above is not optimal for you, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com. As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer account with this same email address.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we will be happy to assist you!

Best,

Jen

Modératrice Communauté Francophone / French Community Moderator

Answers

• Animesh
    Animesh Posts: 0
    Options

I lost my recovery code . Kindly help getting it back

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 7,016 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Animesh

There are two options you can follow to get you started again:

If you own a professional TeamViewer license:

• Please contact our support via phone, they will guide you through the procedure: Contact us via phone

If you are using the free version of TeamViewer:

• You can create for free a new account: https://login.teamviewer.com/LogOn#register 
    • If creating a new account with a different email address is not an option and you want to use this same account again, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com.
    • As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer with this same email address.

Community Manager

• Duythuong
    Duythuong Posts: 0
    Options

i used to use 2 step auth but now i change iPhone. Now i dont have QR code and recovery key. How can I reset it?

• rhayman
    rhayman Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options

Good morning,

A few days ago this option in Temviewer stopped sending me a push notice to my approved device on all of the PC’s I remote into.

I removed my device on all of my remote PC’s thinking it was a temporary issue.

But the problem has lasted for several days now.

I tried deleting and re-adding my approved device. But that didn’t help.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there an issue on your end?

Thank you. 

Robert L.

[removed per Community Guidelines]

• hzp90
    hzp90 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options

If I forgot my recover code and can not log in so how can I delete my account?

• bperez77
    bperez77 Posts: 1
    Options

My phone recently broke and I unfortunately lost access to my 2FA method via the authenticator app. Additionally, I forgot to record my recovery codes. I've read a few other discussions on the forums and my understanding is that the only way to reset the account is to delete it completely and then re-register. Can I request to have my account deleted completely?

• Raveen
    Raveen Posts: 1
    Options

The previous authenticator app was reset and the backup was deleted. I do not even have team viewer recover codes. How do I recover it?

• Tiny_Tyman
    Tiny_Tyman Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I am in need of some assistance. When I configured my TeamViewer account some time ago, for the sake of security, I enabled 2 Factor using Google Authenticator. Today, while using my Google Authenticator, I had it glitch up on me, in which it was showing duplicates of my account codes. When I tried to clear out those duplicates, I ended up losing the 2 factor code that goes to my TeamViewer account. I do have my recovery code fortunately, but apparently to disable my 2 Factor, I have to already have the code to enter in.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I would prefer to not have to make a new account account all over again.

Thanks,

Tyler J Turnbull

• byeongchae
    byeongchae Posts: 1
    Options

I lost my two-factor authentication recovery code.

Is there any way to solve this?

No matter how much I searched, I couldn't find it.

• Scofreyjet_58
    Options

I was trying to set up a laptop for unattended access, and it asked for a 6-digit code. I don't remember setting up for 2FA, and none of my authenticators have TeamViewer listed. When I say I can't access the code, it asked for a Recovery Code, something else I don't have.

I tried to set up 2FA using Google Authenticator, but it says it can read the code that is displayed.

Is there any way I can save this account, or am I going to have to abandon it and start all over with a different email account?

• darknetcs
    darknetcs Posts: 1
    Options

Hi

My phone crashed and whipped all my 2FA codes, also I've lost all my data on my NAS where I kept my recovery codes (well just my luck), now while I'm still logged in to TeamViewer on my main computer I can log into Management Console, but cannot obtain recovery codes, as they are locked behind 2FA, nor cannot deactivate 2FA for same reason. Can anyone advise me what to do please?

• AndyfromFL
    AndyfromFL Posts: 0
    Options

My account apparently has two factor authentication on it. I'm afraid that my account might have been compromised, since I've only got one authenticator app and team viewer isn't on it. I doubt it's possible that I set it up, but even if I did, I don't have access to it or a backup code. Is there any support option to sign into my account, or am I forced to make a new account?

• James7856
    James7856 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

I forgot where to get my security code and tried to sign in with my recovery code. But it doesn't work. How can I get back to my account? Thanks!

• lepixa1226
    lepixa1226 Posts: 1
    Options

Good morning,

I have lost access to the OTP code needed to log into my TeamViewer account. How can I reset two-factor authentication to log back into my account?

• cdwilkins1
    cdwilkins1 Posts: 1
    Options

I need to remove MFA from my account. Due to this being tied to Google Auth and not having access to that app on another device, and the device having been wiped I can no longer log into my account.

• Reshans
    Reshans Posts: 1
    edited April 2022
    Options

• Mrrazorb
    Mrrazorb Posts: 0
    edited July 2022
    Options

Desperate need of turning off two factor auth, i do not have my security code as it was stored along with my authenticator on a phone that was destroyed.

Want to remove and then reinstall it.

Please help

• Dmdrl
    Dmdrl Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello!

The recovery code for disabling two-factor authentication has been lost. The device used for this is also unavailable

What can I do in this situation?

• JoshP
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Dmdrl

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

The first thing I would suggest is to take a quick look in your downloads folder - At the end of the setup for two factor authentication, you are prompted to save the recovery key - one option is to download a txt file:

I bring this up as I was in your situation recently, and as a last resort I searched my downloads folder (which I never clean out... I know, I know...) but lo and behold - it was there! The filename is:

TeamViewer_recoverycode.txt

If, however, we are unable to locate the recovery code, then there would be no way to disable two factor authentication. As mentioned in our article on how to deactivate two factor authentication:

CAUTION: The Two factor authentication can not be deactivated by TeamViewer. If you lose your recovery key, you will also lose access to all TeamViewer features where your account is needed. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place.

As mentioned by our Community Manager @JeanK there are a couple potential solutions which depend on the version of TeamViewer used:

Should you have any other questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Take care!

Josh P.

---

• Dmdrl
    Dmdrl Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @JoshP !

Thanks a lot. Indeed, I did not find a file, but a screenshot with that name.

Thank you again!!!

• JoshP
    Options

Thanks for the update @Dmdrl!

I am glad to hear that worked for you as well!

I hope you have a great rest of your week!

Josh P.

---

• dresq
    dresq Posts: 1
    Options

Hi - if you've misplaced your recovery code and your 2FA is no longer in your authenticator (new phone / can't recover), is there a way to at least delete your account so that the now-inaccessible account is no longer paired to the email address with which it was created? Thanks!

• JoshP
    Options

Hello @dresq

Thank you for your post, and we are pleased to welcome you to the TeamViewer community!

I have included the most relevant information for you from the linked comment from @JeanK, our Community Manager:

If creating a new account with a different email address is not an option and you want to use this same account again, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com.

As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer with this same email address.

I hope this helps!

Josh P.

---

• jamesd3rd
    jamesd3rd Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

A user where I work has a TeamViewer account that uses two Factor authentication. In the past year or two she got a new phone but didn't fully set up the TeamViewer account in the authenticator app on the new phone. When she taps on the TeamViewer entry on the authenticator app she gets prompted to recreate the account. It says the account is disabled an to add it again. Which cannot be done unless you sign into TeamViewer and scan the QR code using the phone. The only way you can do that is by entering the six digit code. At this point we have to deactivate two-factor authentication, delete the TeamViewer entry from the authenticator app on the old phone (if that's still possible), and add it to the new phone by scanning the QR code in the TeamViewer account.

I should mention that throughout all this, she had forgotten her TeamViewer password so she reset it using the browser. Part of the process requires entering these six digit code that you get from two-factor authentication which she unable to get per the previous paragraph. She has a copy of the recovery code so she entered that in the authenticator app that's on the new phone and the app created a two-factor authentication code but for some reason, TeamViewer would not accept any of the two-factor authentication codes generated when she tried to complete the reset password process.

So now we're stuck kind of in limbo. Unable to complete the reset password process because there's no valid six digit code coming from the authenticator app after she entered the recovery code which prevents her from deactivating to factor authentication.

What course of action is there now?

• CBoulenger
    CBoulenger Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

I learned that it isn't possible to remove MFA, so the account will need to be deleted.

Thanks forum!

• CBoulenger
    CBoulenger Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@jamesd3rd Contact privacy@teamviewer.com and ask them to delete the account. After deletion you'll be able to recreate it.

• Boski
    Boski Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

How can I restore my account ? I know correct password and "zero knowloedge" but I don't have access to 2FA code and I don't know recovery code.

• JimmyRow
    JimmyRow Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I have a TeamViewer account for which I set up TFA using a cell phone I no longer have (and no longer have access to the old phone number). I tried to do a password reset and now I'm locked out because I cannot receive the security code.

I've been hoping I can just tell someone at TeamViewer support what my old phone number was so that I can verify my identity somehow, but I cannot find any method of contact for the free account.

I am currently logged in on a brand new account with an old email address I haven't used in years just because I cannot use my main email address, since it is already associated with my original TeamViewer account for which I cannot use.

Is there an email address or something I can use to contact a support person, or is there any other option for recovering my account?

Thanks,

Jim

• JenW
    JenW Posts: 1,071 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JimmyRow,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community ! 🌍

First, could you please check if you have saved somewhere the recovery code when you activated TFA?

If you don't retrieve this recovery code, as a free user, there are two options you can follow to get you started again:

• You can use this brand-new TeamViewer account with your old email address.
    • If this option above is not optimal for you, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com. As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer account with this same email address.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we will be happy to assist you!

Best,

Jen

Modératrice Communauté Francophone / French Community Moderator