Lost recovery code

Options
Dmdrl
Dmdrl Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Account

Hello!

The recovery code for disabling two-factor authentication has been lost. The device used for this is also unavailable

What can I do in this situation?

Best Answers

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 895 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Dmdrl

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

The first thing I would suggest is to take a quick look in your downloads folder - At the end of the setup for two factor authentication, you are prompted to save the recovery key - one option is to download a txt file:

I bring this up as I was in your situation recently, and as a last resort I searched my downloads folder (which I never clean out... I know, I know...) but lo and behold - it was there! The filename is:

TeamViewer_recoverycode.txt

If, however, we are unable to locate the recovery code, then there would be no way to disable two factor authentication. As mentioned in our article on how to deactivate two factor authentication:

CAUTION: The Two factor authentication can not be deactivated by TeamViewer. If you lose your recovery key, you will also lose access to all TeamViewer features where your account is needed. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place.

As mentioned by our Community Manager @JeanK there are a couple potential solutions which depend on the version of TeamViewer used:

Should you have any other questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Take care!

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• JenW
    JenW Posts: 1,002 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JimmyRow,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community ! 🌍

First, could you please check if you have saved somewhere the recovery code when you activated TFA?

If you don't retrieve this recovery code, as a free user, there are two options you can follow to get you started again:

• You can use this brand-new TeamViewer account with your old email address.
    • If this option above is not optimal for you, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com. As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer account with this same email address.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we will be happy to assist you!

Best,

Jen

Modératrice Communauté Francophone / French Community Moderator

Answers

• JoshP
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Dmdrl

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

The first thing I would suggest is to take a quick look in your downloads folder - At the end of the setup for two factor authentication, you are prompted to save the recovery key - one option is to download a txt file:

I bring this up as I was in your situation recently, and as a last resort I searched my downloads folder (which I never clean out... I know, I know...) but lo and behold - it was there! The filename is:

TeamViewer_recoverycode.txt

If, however, we are unable to locate the recovery code, then there would be no way to disable two factor authentication. As mentioned in our article on how to deactivate two factor authentication:

CAUTION: The Two factor authentication can not be deactivated by TeamViewer. If you lose your recovery key, you will also lose access to all TeamViewer features where your account is needed. Therefore, it must be kept in a secure place.

As mentioned by our Community Manager @JeanK there are a couple potential solutions which depend on the version of TeamViewer used:

Should you have any other questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Take care!

Josh P.

---

• Dmdrl
    Dmdrl Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @JoshP !

Thanks a lot. Indeed, I did not find a file, but a screenshot with that name.

Thank you again!!!

• JoshP
    Options

Thanks for the update @Dmdrl!

I am glad to hear that worked for you as well!

I hope you have a great rest of your week!

Josh P.

---

• dresq
    dresq Posts: 1
    Options

Hi - if you've misplaced your recovery code and your 2FA is no longer in your authenticator (new phone / can't recover), is there a way to at least delete your account so that the now-inaccessible account is no longer paired to the email address with which it was created? Thanks!

• JoshP
    Options

Hello @dresq

Thank you for your post, and we are pleased to welcome you to the TeamViewer community!

I have included the most relevant information for you from the linked comment from @JeanK, our Community Manager:

If creating a new account with a different email address is not an option and you want to use this same account again, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com.

As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer with this same email address.

I hope this helps!

Josh P.

---

• jamesd3rd
    jamesd3rd Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

A user where I work has a TeamViewer account that uses two Factor authentication. In the past year or two she got a new phone but didn't fully set up the TeamViewer account in the authenticator app on the new phone. When she taps on the TeamViewer entry on the authenticator app she gets prompted to recreate the account. It says the account is disabled an to add it again. Which cannot be done unless you sign into TeamViewer and scan the QR code using the phone. The only way you can do that is by entering the six digit code. At this point we have to deactivate two-factor authentication, delete the TeamViewer entry from the authenticator app on the old phone (if that's still possible), and add it to the new phone by scanning the QR code in the TeamViewer account.

I should mention that throughout all this, she had forgotten her TeamViewer password so she reset it using the browser. Part of the process requires entering these six digit code that you get from two-factor authentication which she unable to get per the previous paragraph. She has a copy of the recovery code so she entered that in the authenticator app that's on the new phone and the app created a two-factor authentication code but for some reason, TeamViewer would not accept any of the two-factor authentication codes generated when she tried to complete the reset password process.

So now we're stuck kind of in limbo. Unable to complete the reset password process because there's no valid six digit code coming from the authenticator app after she entered the recovery code which prevents her from deactivating to factor authentication.

What course of action is there now?

• CBoulenger
    CBoulenger Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

I learned that it isn't possible to remove MFA, so the account will need to be deleted.

Thanks forum!

• CBoulenger
    CBoulenger Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@jamesd3rd Contact privacy@teamviewer.com and ask them to delete the account. After deletion you'll be able to recreate it.

• Boski
    Boski Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

How can I restore my account ? I know correct password and "zero knowloedge" but I don't have access to 2FA code and I don't know recovery code.

• JimmyRow
    JimmyRow Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I have a TeamViewer account for which I set up TFA using a cell phone I no longer have (and no longer have access to the old phone number). I tried to do a password reset and now I'm locked out because I cannot receive the security code.

I've been hoping I can just tell someone at TeamViewer support what my old phone number was so that I can verify my identity somehow, but I cannot find any method of contact for the free account.

I am currently logged in on a brand new account with an old email address I haven't used in years just because I cannot use my main email address, since it is already associated with my original TeamViewer account for which I cannot use.

Is there an email address or something I can use to contact a support person, or is there any other option for recovering my account?

Thanks,

Jim

• JenW
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JimmyRow,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community ! 🌍

First, could you please check if you have saved somewhere the recovery code when you activated TFA?

If you don't retrieve this recovery code, as a free user, there are two options you can follow to get you started again:

• You can use this brand-new TeamViewer account with your old email address.
    • If this option above is not optimal for you, you can request the deletion of your TeamViewer account by writing an email to privacy@teamviewer.com. As soon as the account is deleted by our dedicated team, you will be able to create the TeamViewer account with this same email address.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we will be happy to assist you!

Best,

Jen

• JimmyRow
    JimmyRow Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I do not have the recovery code, so I will request a delete and start over with my preferred email address.

• JenW
    Options

Hi @JimmyRow,

Thank you for your confirmation!

If you need any assistance, just let us know, we will be happy to assist you!

We wish you a nice week ahead 🤠

Jen

• ihf
    ihf Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

Is there a way to delete my Teamviewer account? I cannot login as I do not know my "Security code".I am asking this question from another account.

• Ying_Q
    Ying_Q Posts: 2,629 Moderator
    Options

Hi @ihf,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

We are sorry that you have an issue with the security code while login into the TeamViewer account. For free account deletion requests, it is possible to process by sending the request to privacy@teamviewer.com and the internal team will handle the request individually.

Best,

Ying_Q

Community Moderator/中文社区管理员
  • pacmanssj
    pacmanssj Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I've lost access to my 2 factor and don't have my recovery code. Is there a way to either get the account deleted (so I can re register the same email address) or get it reset? Or is the only solution to create a new account with different email?