Groups or Device Groups

Options
TZiady
TZiady Posts: 5 ✭✭

I have looked high and low and cannot find a very definitive information about the major difference.

I am thinking of Device Groups as all servers? All Engineer Workstations?

While groups are more like: Or should I not even bother with Groups at all ?

Office A

Office B

and so on?

Am I even close?

Thanks

T

Tagged:

Comments

• user20230324
    user20230324 Posts: 1
    Options

Same question!

• krisvlo
    krisvlo Posts: 1
    Options

Pretty much the same question, but I think I can add the following: some of my devices appear in group 'My Computers', some are in no group at all and I can't find how to manage that nor what the difference would mean (device being part of a group vs not at all)

• cdechman
    cdechman Posts: 1
    Options

why do I need device groups when I already have groups set up? what is the advantage?

• jbush
    jbush Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Options

Excellent question! Welcome to the new world we live in.

• valorlaw
    valorlaw Posts: 1
    Options

Same question, and for us it appears our computers are in both groups. But under "device groups" they are listed as current and updated but when viewing them under "groups" it says they need an update. And for one of our users the "device group" doesn't even appear as an option. And that user can't seem to connect. Even though we are all using the newest TeamViewer, it's asking the user for the host's password.

• AndreB85
    AndreB85 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Device Groups are for company managed (enrolled) devices. For example you can assign managers to those groups and grant them "easy access". You can also add user groups as managers.

Groups on the other hand are personal (by default non shared) groups, that may contain devices, but also contacts.

You can share those groups (so people can add and remove devices/contacts), but you can't define managers.

• jbush
    jbush Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Options

I'd like to agree with that, but I don't think that is really the case. I have close to 70 machines that had Host installed. Each using the same script and configuration (tvopt) that also assigns the device to my account and granting me easy access. When the new version went live, I have some devices in the new Groups and I have some still in my original groups.

• MHit
    MHit Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

We have the same issue, some of our devices migrated fine, but others have been stuck in the old "groups", so we now have duplicate groups in our lists and no way to get the remaining devices to migrate.

What the **bleep** is going on TV? I've tried it repeatedly over the last 3 months expecting you to resolve whatever the issue is, but nothing! "update status" tells me some are "outdated software" others "update not possible" or "update needed", with no way to resolve them! What are we supposed to do with them as I can't find anything in your help!

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,987 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hi all,

We published an article answering all the most asked questions about device groups (new system).

Please find it here: Device groups explained

Let me know if this already answers some of the concerns - if not, please let me know. I'll be happy to jump in!

@jbush @MHit Devices that are still in the old groups, even after having migrated them are bookmarked devices. In other words, devices that have been manually added like this: Add computers in TeamViewer (Classic). These devices are not assigned to your account (see here: Assign a device to your account - TeamViewer (Classic)).

These devices cannot be migrated.

From now on, to be managed, devices must be added to your company . What you can do, if you have a Corporate license, is to deploy TeamViewer via .msi by following our guide here: Mass deployment on Windows - Overview.

This will allow you to migrate the devices into the new system and manage them granularly.

Please find all the benefits of the new system here: TeamViewer's next generation of device management.

Community Manager

• MHit
    MHit Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to follow your instructions, however they aren't very clear!

"Step 5: "Untick all the boxes as shown below and click Save.

📌Note: If the “Use Managed Group Assignment” box is

• ticked - a pop-up will appear to confirm the account assignment at the end of the installation.
    • unticked - no pop-up will appear to confirm the account assignment at the end of the installation."

Untick what boxes? nothing is "shown below"!

Regarding the tick box for "Use Managed Group Assignment", are these instructions saying that it will assign the account whether it's ticked or not and that the only difference is the user prompt? or will unticking it stop any account assignment?

Thanks, Matt

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,987 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hi @MHit,

I'm 100% on your side - this part is unfortunately not super clear.

This part refers to the box Use Managed Group Assignment when creating the module under the "Name" section, like highlighted in yellow in the screenshot below:

/JeanK

Community Manager