ALWAYS ask for password option

nasasvcs
nasasvcs Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in General questions

I'm at my wits end with this. I manage multiple servers/PC's and as an IT administrator, only I have access to the remote devices.

In the event my PC gets hacked or stolen, I never want passwords saved. This is obvious and a necessity for many administrators accessing critical systems.

I only install the minimal Host version of TV on the remote computers. "Save passwords temporarily" is disabled. "Easy Access" is disabled and my Teamviewer account is assigned to each remote PC. I also have a personal password assigned for each host which is the same as my primary account password. If I click on properties for the specific remote account the password is set to blank. The issue is that sometimes the password is prefilled from the last session and not discarded. If I go back to the properties and check, it still is blanked so why does it prefill? I have compared all the settings and versions between host and client being current and matched, yet some hosts exhibit this issue and others not or could be random.

The password/security settings are convoluted and not sure what sets priority and what is what. I tried with and without a personal password which does not change the issue/behavior.

It would be helpful if there is an option for the Host side of Teamviewer under security or Advanced to "Always prompt for password" which sets precedence over all other security settings/options.

Tagged:

Answers

• Ying_Q
    Ying_Q Posts: 2,687 Moderator

Hello @nasasvcs,

We are sorry to hear that you had a hard time finding the answer yourself, but rest assured, we are here to help you. 

To get to know more about your case, how did you set up the personal password for the TeamViewer Host? Is it under the TeamViewer setting then Advanced on the Host, or is the password saved via the device's Properties on your device list? If you have set the passwords correctly, the display for the password is in asterisks(*) in both TeamViewer Advanced and the Properties. It helps to cover up the unique password and standardise the display format of passwords.

We have tried to analyse and would like to share how the software behaves in a password/prompt context.

• If a personal password is saved in the Host's settings and also in the Computers & Contacts list, you won't be prompted for a password, and you will automatically connect, as both passwords match.
    • If only a personal password is saved in the Host's settings but not in the Computers & Contacts list, you will be prompted for a password.
    • If no password is saved in the Host's settings and the Computers & Contacts list, you will be prompted for a password. in this case, you will have to enter the random password displayed on the Host's interface.

We hope this information helps you to understand and clarify your Host's behaviour.

Moreover, for regular remote support, we recommend using Easy Access to connect. You will find all the information around it here: Provide unattended remote support. We always encourage activating two-factor authentication with your TeamViewer account and the action will add an additional layer of security to protecting your account.

Last but not least, feel free to take a look at the Security handbook when you are ready and want to know more.

Look forward to hearing the update from you and we will be happy to work together again!

Best,

Ying_Q

Community Moderator/中文社区管理员