.msi Confusion

Options

I'm new to TeamViewer Tensor. We are attempting to deploy the client to all of our Intune Enrolled devices (Windows). This is typically done by uploading the 64-bit .msi for other apps. I used the "Design & Deploy" to create a "Custom HOST" module and added our logo, text colors, etc. However, when I download it it's an .exe. The other option I have is to select the link for "Download MSI (32-bit)".

Is there a way to get the 64-bit .msi version for the custom HOST module? OR do we have to use the ".msi 64-bit Full Client for Windows" instead? If I download that one, it doesn't have any of the customizations. What are the limitations of the "Host" modules vs the "Full Client" versions? Thanks for any thoughts.

Best Answer

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,083 Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ctalton_14 ,

It's absolutely possible to have unattended access using the Host module.😄 The 32-bit (.msi) Host is ideal for it.

• If the partner side will just receive unattended remote sessions, you're probably better off using Host.
    • If the partner side also needs to use TeamViewer to remotely connect other devices, then you will need to use the TeamViewer Full Client.

Customization is quite limited for the Full Client, so if you need your logo to display, TeamViewer Host would be a better option.

Policies can be applied for both Host and Full Client.

Let me know if you need any further clarification. 😉

Best, Carol

Portuguese Community Moderator

Answers

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @ctalton_14 ,

Welcome, and thanks for reaching out to our Community!

At the moment, msi deployment is only possible with 32-bit.

Therefore, the recommendation is to use the custom Host 32-bit.

Let us know how it goes, and if we can help you any further. 🙋‍♀️

📌Also, please note that if you have a license, you can contact our support team directly if you prefer.

Best, Carol

• ctalton_14
    ctalton_14 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Options

@.Carol.fg. Thanks for the response! Do you know...What are the limitations of the "Host" module versions of the .msi vs the "Full Client" versions? Can we still manage the clients in the same manner?

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @ctalton_14 ,

I'm grateful to help, and thanks for your additional questions!

The Host is mostly recommended for devices that only need to receive remote connections. (It's not possible to start a remote connection from a Host).

The TeamViewer Full Client is recommended for devices that need to receive and start remote sessions.

It is possible though to set up unattended access to the TeamViewer Full Client, and you could set a policy to avoid the Full Client from being able to start remote connections - Access Control (outgoing connections).

It's a bit more extra work than the Host, but it's a possibility if you prefer. Having policies can be really good for the security of your devices. We always recommend having the Allowlist set up.

I hope it helps! 🍀

Let us know if we can help you with anything else!

Best, Carol

• ctalton_14
    Options

Thank you @.Carol.fg. this is very helpful. Final thing...Please allow me to verify a couple of things to ensure I'm understanding correctly.

So, if I am not concerned about "unattended access", and I don't need them to be able to start remote sessions, the 32-bit (.msi) Host is recommended right?

Just to confirm, "unattended access" is not possible with the Host version? But if I need "unattended access", I must use the Full Client, and it is possible to prevent them from starting the remote sessions using the policies mentioned in the link.

Thanks again!

• .Carol.fg.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ctalton_14 ,

It's absolutely possible to have unattended access using the Host module.😄 The 32-bit (.msi) Host is ideal for it.

• If the partner side will just receive unattended remote sessions, you're probably better off using Host.
    • If the partner side also needs to use TeamViewer to remotely connect other devices, then you will need to use the TeamViewer Full Client.

Customization is quite limited for the Full Client, so if you need your logo to display, TeamViewer Host would be a better option.

Policies can be applied for both Host and Full Client.

Let me know if you need any further clarification. 😉

Best, Carol

• ctalton_14
    Options

@.Carol.fg. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you again and have a great day!

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hi @ctalton_14,

I am happy to announce that the Host in 64-bit is now available! 🥳

You can download it from our website here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

Thank you all for your trust and patience!

/JeanK

Community Manager

This Week's Leaders