No longer direct connections

Options
mbe57
mbe57 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2023 in General questions

Since a number of months Teamviewer does no longer establish direct connections between client and host, but rather routes them through overloaded ANX network routes.

I could not find a setting that forces a direct connection. **Third Party Product** does directly connect between the same devices, BTW.

Answers

• mbe57
    Options

Anyone out there? With similar problem - or a solution?

• Nadin_W
    Nadin_W Posts: 654 Moderator
    Options

Hello @mbe57,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

When establishing a session, TeamViewer determines the optimal type of connection. After the handshake through our master servers, a direct connection via UDP or TCP is established in 70% of all cases (even behind standard gateways, NATs, and firewalls). The rest of the connections are routed through our highly redundant router network via TCP or https tunneling. To learn more about TeamViewer sessions and how they are created have a look here.

Therefore, please, ensure that on both sides of the connection, UDP is activated. You'll find this setting in the Advanced settings of your TeamViewer installation. To get there open the Settings by clicking the gear icon. Advanced settings under Device and open advanced settings. Scroll down to Advanced network settings and make sure that the checkmark is set for Use UDP (recommended).

I hope this information helps. Should you have further questions or should I have misunderstood your question, rite us again.

Have a great day!

Nadin

German Community moderator 🖤 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• mbe57
    Options

TXs Nadin.

I checked this setting on my Windows 11 (target) as well as under Linux (in house) and my Macbook (sometimes used remotely). All of them had the recommended udp setting already.

Above settings check and the TV speed test were in LAN a minute ago. Everything is fast.

However, once remote with the Macbook, the routing is via this ANX network and SLOOOOW.

This was not the case a number of months ago. And the network environment did not change: host side 500/100 MBit/s down/upload speed; client side (where the Macbook connects) it's 50/10 MBit/s. Fast enough by far, and as stated, it used to be fast in the past.

As it was fast, I never had the urge to check the Teamviewer routing, hence I cannot tell if it was via ANX back then, too. Or if Teamviewer meanwhiel forgot how to establish direct connections ...

And host/client side routers are not a problem, as with "third party product" the IP "hole punching" works nicely.

Any more ideas, please?

TXs and cheers

Michael

• BRAWIT
    BRAWIT Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue, when connecting through anx router. This only happens when inside my office network, when I bypass the PFSense firewall it goes for a direct connection over UDP, when going through PFSense it goes over http slowing the speed to about 2MB.

The problem started this week, and not sure if the connection has been previous going through the anx router, no changes have been made to firewall prior to troubleshooting this issue. I have since tried adding in specific allow rules for UDP on 5938.

Any suggestions on what can done with this?

Thanks

Kevin