Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• Joas_alc
    Joas_alc Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I got the same message for my laptop and my phone. Can somebody help me?
  • You have to waste your time filling out this >> https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/

only for the flag to come back a few days later.

• Joas_alc
    Joas_alc Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Thank you very much!
  • ssybesma
    ssybesma Posts: 18 ✭✭
    It seemed that way for me for a while and then within a couple weeks all the notices finally stopped. They never tell you when they fix anything...you just find out. I made sure to provide them a list of ALL my machines names and IDs (not just the ones I saw the notices on). They can't seem to tell a business user from a hole in the ground. I only use TV on my home machines and occasionally those of my family to remote in and fix issues with them. All personal use. Never commercial use.
  • Hmm that may be my issue. I gave them one ID thinking both PCs have the same ID. Will look again.
  • ssybesma
    Yeah, I figured give them info on all the machines, because sometimes it's hard to figure which machine is generating the complaint. It could be all of them, or just some of them. I noticed also if you ever run TeamViewer on a VM it will automatically give you that error and you have to beg them to exclude that also. When they do add the exception for the VM, you need to track the MAC address of that VMs network adapter to make sure it never changes (so you can change back to the original if needed). Changing a MAC address changes the TeamViewer ID (or rather, will require changing the ID) and you start that problem over again. I ran into that once.
  • attorney
    attorney Posts: 9 ✭✭

What is so frustrating is it is inconsistent. I ran team viewer on the virtual machine for a long time because it made it simpler for me I ran a VM inside of my disk drive because I wanted to be able to access my files and I didn’t have any problem with that. But the minute I ran it on Ubuntu because I was curious how that worked well that immediately triggered a problem that never went away. I’ve given them all of the different IDs of all of my machine and it didn’t seem to matter. The bottom line is they don’t really support private use.

And I would respect that if they would be open about that but this cloak and dagger maybe it works maybe it doesn’t and you will only find out when you need it and it doesn’t work, that has forced me to switch to other choices like the remote option built into *** Third Party Product*** etc. They’re not as good but they work and you won’t get caught needing it and not having it.

• ssybesma
    My theory is that TV uses mainly the MAC address to identify the machine that's being connected to. It can also identify the OS separately and that's why you will get the notice if running a server OS. If either the MAC address or the OS (or both) changes, then basically you have to get a new TeamViewer ID. I'm pretty sure I got an exemption on a VM once when I submitted the information for it to them. Thing is that each VM you create will give a different MAC address. If you're in Virtualbox and switch to or create a different VM, you get a different MAC address and that means you get a different TeamViewer ID. Once the TV ID on a VM is set as 'personal use' in their database and you don't use it to connect to a commercial-use machine or vice versa, you should be good to go permanently as long neither the MAC address nor the OS change. A word about MAC addresses generated by Virtualbox...since the first three octets of the MAC address (called the OUI) identify the manufacturer of the network adapter, I believe that will always trigger the notice from TeamViewer and that's why you have to get each of those VMs exempted. Anyone who knows better than this is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's close to the truth. The 'manufacturer' (08:00:27) that Virtualbox uses for its MAC addresses according to the OUI database is CADMUS COMPUTER SYSTEMS which is long out of business and may have been purchased by DEC. It seems TeamViewer flags all of those it sees.
  • ssybesma
    I need to correct you. Server does not imply domain server. You can have a server that's not part of a domain. People do it all the time if it's something they have on their home network. You are blocking personal use on all servers, domain or not.
  • Glassdub
    Glassdub Posts: 79 ✭✭

Nope, I flip the mac address on my notebook several times a night if this was the case I could log on without this issue.

• ssybesma
    You have to fill out their form with your name, machine's name and TeamViewer ID and wait at least a week and they should remove the restriction on your machine. Total pain, I know.
  • ssybesma
    Fill out the form to get ALL of your machines exempted from their false positive. You have to do ALL of your machines at once or you will be playing whack-a-mole. If ANY machine appears as commercial use, you violate even by connecting to it from a machine that was previously deemed to be personal use, then that previously personal use machine can technically get stuck with the commercial use restriction also.

• @attorney wrote:
    What is so frustrating is it is inconsistent. I ran team viewer on the virtual machine for a long time because it made it simpler for me I ran a VM inside of my disk drive because I wanted to be able to access my files and I didn’t have any problem with that. But the minute I ran it on Ubuntu because I was curious how that worked well that immediately triggered a problem that never went away. I’ve given them all of the different IDs of all of my machine and it didn’t seem to matter. The bottom line is they don’t really support private use.

And I would respect that if they would be open about that but this cloak and dagger maybe it works maybe it doesn’t and you will only find out when you need it and it doesn’t work, that has forced me to switch to other choices like the remote option built into ***Third Party Product*** etc. They’re not as good but they work and you won’t get caught needing it and not having it.

I find ***Third Party Product*** a good alternative. Just can't copy from desktop to remote desktop without paying a yearly fee for **Third Party Product**.

• ssybesma
    Yep, you can't make any change to it or else TeamViewer sees it as a completely new machine with another red-flagged MAC address. If you want to use another one you'll have to go through that hoop all over again. I assume you're using Virtualbox for the VM or are you using VMWare? I think they both have the same problem but thing about Virtualbox is that it never registered the MAC address range that it uses, at least that anyone knows of.
  • Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi All,

Thank you for your post.
    If you feel your use is not considered commercial, please fill out the following form: https://www.teamviewer.com/reset 

Our support team assesses all requests individually, and in the order they are received, to determine if a reset is possible.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
    Hope this information will be helpful.

All the best, Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • I got an email said it had been reset to free. Guess what.... first time I use it got the same **bleep** ...commercial use. I replied to the email and have yet to get a response.

• DanLester
    DanLester Posts: 31 ✭✭

OK, I tried to do this, and got hung up with this

x.jpg

Where the **bleep** is the recaptcha???

----------------

Later edit: ah, what they don't tell you is that you need to be using Chrome. Firefox won't show that recaptcha. Real **bleep**er.

• jtalstad
    jtalstad Posts: 1

Same experience and question here...

• DanLester

OK, having figured out that you needed to use Chrome to fill out the form in https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/

I registered my complaint and got a message saying they would look into it. We shall see. In the meantime, [removed per Community Guidelines] Nothing really making me want to stay with TeamViewer, given this "Commercial use Suspected" trash.

• johnzageek
    johnzageek Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Teamviewer is getting lamer by the day
  • The censoring is useless if your subscribed to the topic. We get alerts of new messages and it shows what's said before the censor
  • johnzageek
    johnzageek Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Since when has a community of users become outlaw's. What a croc of **BLEEP**...
  • picard80
    picard80 Posts: 1

Teamviewer is actively trying to get rid of user who do not pay for a commercial license. Instead of simply admitting it, they enforce these stupid pop-ups.

• DanLester

You know, in it's day, TeamViewer was da king. It was fantastic in that it offered the oportunity to leanover someone's shoulder working on their computer. But there are many good options now to do that that don't fall back on "Commercial use Suspected". TeamViewer does have some nice features, though.

Hard to rant about a community of users that have become outlaws. I don't pay TeamViewer anything. They are generous to let me use their system for free. I'm getting something for nothing, which could make me an outlaw. But I'd at least like to be treated consistently.

• I'm looking into alternatives right now because I am tired of this nonsense. I've been a loyal fan of teamviewer and if they had a reasonable price for one time purchase I would totally buy it. Or even a 30$/ year license I could get behind for my personal use. But 50$ a month is stupid rediculous when there are at least 5 options for free. 

• [removed per Community Guidelines] seems to me it is a waste of time to fill out the form to get a wrongful identified acct changed to personal when in days it just goes back to commercial.. Sounds to me this is a detection software poorly designed and implemented that is inpropely determining Commercial use of the software.  I use it for personal only, guessing the last time I used it other than yesterday when I got the Duration Time notification...was abiut 6 weeks ago.  

• DanLester

Wish I could, but the TeamViewer Community website is tuned not to let you list commercial products - [removed per Community Guidelines] Both are free, but you can buy more sophisticated options on the latter, which I don't need. There are others as well.

I have all three engaged in my system, so I can have confidence that, whatever happens, I'll be able to get through.

• Exactly the same issue with me and Teamviewer does not respond. I guess they now want to generate revenue from personal use. Only thing I changed was my ISP

• AlenaC
    AlenaC Posts: 915 Moderator

Hello everyone,

thanks for your posts. We are sorry to hear that you are still unable to use TeamViewer.

If you did get the confirmation that your ID was reset, please remember that it could be necessary to restart TeamViewer.

If you are still not able to connect that means, that the remote side is the one flagged as "commercial use" and then the next step would be to send us the request also for the remote device.

Note:  please note that when you submit the form, it is only for a single ID. That means that if you want to reset several IDs, we need ONE FORM for EACH ID. Please see the form here: www.teamviewer.com/reset 

Please note that this is fully explained in our article: Why do I see 'Commercial use suspected' / 'Commercial use detected' 

Best, Alena

Spanish Community Moderator :)