Any way to paste the Windows logon password?

I set up Teamviewer 15 for unattended access to various Windows 7 computers, and granted myself Easy Access so I can connect to them just by double-clicking them when I'm signed in.

The computer has to be locked when I'm not using it. So I configured the target hosts to allow Windows logons.

When I connect to the machine in Teamviewer, I select the user at the Windows logon screen and am prompted for a password.  I copy the password from my password vault, but have no way to paste it. CTRL+V doesn't do anything, and I didn't see anything in the Teamviewer toolbar like "enter contents of clipboard" the way it has "Send Ctrl+Alt+Del". Clipboard sync is enabled in options. So I'm forced to type the password by hand.

Is there anyway to fix this?

For comparison, Remote Desktop asks you for the Windows password locally before you start the session, so you can use paste. That approach would've been great when TV detects a locked remote computer.

0 votes

· Last Updated

Comments

• Some other systems which I have used have a 'send keystrokes' option to emulate pasting in the password. 

We need this in TeamView!

• People have metioned that you can use AutoHotkey

I have tried it and it works - but only on Windows.

So, download autohotkey from here: https://www.autohotkey.com/

Then you need to create a script. I called it Clipboard. Copy the following script into the new script and save it. It will use CTRL ALT V to paste, but you can change that. Then right click and run it. Then you will be able to copy and use CTRL ALT V to paste into a password field. 

A quick video 

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    ; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
    SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
    SetWinDelay 100
    SetKeyDelay 0

^!v::
    SendRaw %clipboard%
    return

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @dotdotpitch 

I saw a similar post to your's, this one.

It hasn't been accepted as "solved" by someone but maybe it worth it to give it a try, since the solution it appears at the end, showing that all you can avoid even the login screen by your side.

In few words, they are saying that this is a result of Windows User Locking Mechanism, and for solve it go in the TeamViewer menu  Extras > Options > Advanced > "Advanced Configuration for the Connection to other Equipment " and change the option "Block Remote Computer" from Auto to Never.

I hope this will work for you and waiting for your update!

Best regards

• guido241
    guido241 Posts: 4 ✭✭

Same issue when connecting from Mac to a server. Server has password of 20 gibberish characters. Hard to enter each time. Alternative is to relax security by chosing easier to enter password.

Maybe a feature that someone thought increases security but in fact makes it more likely for humans to throw out security considerations of the window?

• TVRobk
    TVRobk Posts: 1

@John-Paul your solution worked great for me thanks!

• TVAdminGuy
    TVAdminGuy Posts: 1
    edited May 2022

You better add this functionality. Most modern solutions have the ability to copy/paste keystrokes to the Windows login screen.

• carlosg
    carlosg Posts: 1

This is really anoying!

I don't understand why Teamviewer hasn't solved this yet!

• Sean_Tranquil
    Sean_Tranquil Posts: 1

This is absolutely an essential feature and I can't believe it's STILL not implemented in Teamviewer.

We cannot relax our security due to the nature of our client base and we are wasting vast amounts of time typing the 32 character windows login's every time we need admin access. Not to mention the frustration caused by Typos.

Sort this please TV

• Agreed having to type out secure passwords to log into multiple clients gets old quickly. With this being on ignored by teamviewer for years it might be time to find a platform that cares about security.

• JB-co
    JB-co Posts: 1

I am using the AutoHotKey method (it works), but TV should add the funciton to the platform.

Any progress on this?

thank you