Unwanted desktop icon

Hi in our company we use your software. We have no complaints. The only thing that annoys us is that we periodically have to remove your icon from the desktop.

What do I need to do so that the desktop icon no longer appears?

The software is installed on Windows 10.

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 7,029 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @Roottel,

Thank you for your message, and welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

Indeed, the icon gets automatically created after the installation. I have passed the feedback to our product team so it can be considered for further updates!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• I second this - automatic updates should not repeatedly add an icon to every user's desktop. Especially the host-only. The icon has absolutely no purpose if the host is set to launch at startup, which is almost always the case.

As opposed to making some command line switch or option, creating the desktop icon should just never happen.

Thanks!

Paul

• I hate having to delete this useless icon on every system after an update

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 7,029 Community Manager 🌍

Hi all,

Please find how to prevent the desktop icon from appearing after an update here:

Let me know if this has worked for you!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Ryan_O
    Ryan_O Posts: 11
    edited August 2023

I am facing a similar issue as OP, except it happens with both Host and Full installs. I set both to use DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0 on install and they install with no shortcut/icon, but upon updating the icon appears. I attempted using the method quoted as the solution but nothing happens and the desktop icon remains. Should the solution instead be to replace DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0 with ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut?

Edit: I have tested this out myself, and it does seem that simply replacing DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0 with ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut in the install string keeps the shortcut from appearing with subsequent updates.

• Wouldn't it be simpler if there was a settings option "[X] Do not create desktop icon after update."?