Licencing

I am being asked by a support company to install and use the free version of the software so they can connect to our server. Under the licensing agreement, it clearly states this is prohibited. They are now saying they have a license but we need to install the free version and give them the connection number. How do we know they have a licensed version and that we are not installing and using the software illegally?

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @MarkPW

Thank you for asking.

Only one side of a TeamViewer connection needs a license. That means, if the other company is having a license, you can install a free version of TeamViewer or a custom module provided by the other company. When they are making a connection from their licensed computer, the whole connection is licensed.

If the other company does not have a license, you will see a PopUp after the session, that this was a free session sponsored by TeamViewer.

If you trust the other company, I recommend to go ahead and start the session. 

I hope, this info helps you.

Esther

Former Community Manager

• mLipok
    mLipok Posts: 781 ⭐Star⭐

@MarkPW wrote:

They are now saying they have a license but we need to install the free version and give them the connection number. How do we know they have a licensed version and that we are not installing and using the software illegally?

As @Esther said "only one side must have license".

As to your case, I told you what I'm doing.

I install TV hosts on all my clients servers and they dont ask me If I have license.
    I do not assign license to all host.
    I use my license from my TV standalone APP.

But what you think whether my clients must to ask me if I have license ?
    I think no.

Because (as far as I remember) license says that not installing but connecting without license violates the license terms.

Regards,
    mLipok , AutoIt MVP
  • Good morning Teamviewer support,
    just I have a similar case; this a wide company which uses QS Teamviewer in all their terminals. The use only with comercial target, remote assistance and maintenance.
    They no pay to nobody for use Teamviewer in any way.
    This is legal?
    Can be this punished by Teamviewer company  legal department?
    How much can be the amount of this punishement in European countries?

Thank you for your attention.
    Joe.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Texerakto

Please have a look at this statement from one of our moderators: Re: Where can i report commercial users using free version???

Does it answer your question?

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• BT1
    BT1 Posts: 1

Comment puis je savoir si ma licence a été installée en v13 ?

Comment puis-je ajouter une autre utilisateur sur cette licence ?

• DesertSweeper
    DesertSweeper Posts: 23 ✭✭

Actually I have always wondered why Teamviewer Host asks you what kind of use you are going to make when installing the Host Version. When you consider it is only used for inbound connections it is actually irrelevant wheteher you have a licence or not. It is the system initiating the connection that should be asked that question (The Full version of Teamviewer in other words)

• my external company vendor provides support which require them to remote login to our server1, server2.

my company purchase TV license for 1 concurrent user to support our internal user (user1 to user 100) and also include server1 and server2

if my vendor already have a license (assuming concurrent connection of 1) and they initiate the connection to server1, and at the same time my user initiate remote connection to server 2. do my company need 2 concurrent connection license?

• DesertSweeper
    DesertSweeper Posts: 23 ✭✭

No you do not.