Need help with Wake on LAN via public address

What I did so far was to disable DHCP so I have a static IP address:

[IP Addresses removed per Community Guidelines]

And turn on port forwarding (my router is TP-LINK Archer C2) via UDP to [IP Address removed]. I also enabled "Allow this device to wake the computer" for my network adapter in Device Manager.

I ran into a wall when I tried to configure TeamViewer for Wake on LAN. I selected the Public address option and typed in:

Address: [ip address removed]
Port: 9

However, when I click `OK` I get an error:

Invalid data found: Please make sure that the entered data is valid.

What should I do to be able to wake my computer?

Best Answer

Answers

• pozso123
    pozso123 Posts: 11

Hello!

When i set in Team Viewer 14.3 WOL option with Public IP option either "use other TeamViewer to wake up". I cant weke up this windows device (windows 10 pro 1903) from Android 9.0 Remote Management. 

Router port forwording was configurated to forward on UDP 9 port  Windows device's ip.

Windows Quick boot option in Power and sleep option in control panel was disabled

Please help me to troubleshoot for using WOL on Local or from an DDNS address. I cannot use efficiently the provided available guide topic for find solution. 

• pozso123

not help

• pozso123

not help!!!!

• jbh556
    jbh556 Posts: 2

I have researched this thoroughly (for a reasonably intelligent non-techie) and have the same problem.  Followed all instructions to a "t" to set up my computer and configure my router.  It is certainly possible that I am missing something and will be the first to admit it if I am.  But when I try to use a static IP address that is within the range of my subnet mask, the Teamviewer Wake-On-Lan "configure network settings - public address" field will not let me select any number in the range.  I tried hundreds.  It will only accept numbers outside the range of my subnet mask which, of course, I can't set in my router.  Teamviewer moderators:  please post a solution to this. Seems unreasonable that we should have to subscribe to another service to secure an IP address that we have to renew every 30 days.  Thanks for your help.

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi All,

Thanks for posting.

In regards to this issue, unfortunately there is no easy answer to any of these questions and we cannot diagnose all the possible problems here. Wake on LAN is not a simple process and there are no hard and fast instructions that will guarantee success.

Because of this, I am sorry for my long winded response but I will try to explain why this is a complex issue and there is no easy fix or answer that we can provide.

What is Wake On LAN?
    Wake On LAN is a hardware feature of many network cards.

This feature wakes the device from sleep if a specific command (Magic Packet) is received by the network card.

Wake On LAN is actually originally intended for local networks only (Wake On Local Area Network)

To be honest, Wake On LAN using a public IP is the technical equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine as the remote computer is for all intents and purposes, offline and there is no active communication.

You just fire a packet at your public IP (Or bounce it off a DNS server), bounce it through some port forwards and hope it hits your Computer on the other side without getting filtered.

What TeamViewer WOL Does
    Inside LAN (Local Area Network)
    TeamViewer offers the ability to send Wake on LAN commands (Magic Packets) to wake up a device inside a Local Area Network.

From WAN (Wide Area Network)
    We also have the ability to send a command to an online computer inside your network, and have that device send a Magic Packet inside the Local Area Network. This bypasses the need for port forwarding in this case as the signal itself comes from inside the network.

You can also enter a static IP address if you have one and go through some port forwarding, but TeamViewer cannot control or streamline this process.

A few Analogies:
    Lets say you have an email client (say, thunderbird) this client will manage your mail for you and is the service this program offers. But if there is a problem with your mail server not correctly receiving or sending mail, this is outside of the scope of support of the mail client.

If we look at WOL as a rube goldberg machine, TeamViewer has a "Pea-shooter" function to start off the machine. This works really well if you are in plain line of sight (Inside the LAN) but if you are trying to bounce the pea off a door, through a length of hose and through a dog door first, that isn't something we can help you calibrate unfortunately.

Other Reading
    Try checking out some of one our SuperUsers (Credit to @DomLan ) posts
    He posted here about power states
    And here is a good discussion with another user

And our Knowledgebase Articles on this.

I understand that this seems harsh, however the reality is that Wake on LAN has a lot of variables and trying to set up this process from outside your network IS complicated and will not work in all scenarios.

I hope this helps.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • jbh556
    jbh556 Posts: 2

Thank you, Scotty, for taking the time to respond.  Much appreciated.  Can you at least answer:

1.  Why TeamViewer won't accept as valid the static IP address I enter in the public address field in the Wake-On-Lan configuration setup?

2.  What parameters are necessary for the static IP address to be valid in this field?  If I understood that, I could, perhaps, configure my system accordingly.

I have read and re-read all of the articles in the knowledge base, I have read the user postings you recommended, and I have studied other sources to set up my system and I believe I am following all the guidelines. 

Thanks, again.

• pozso123

I tryed to add IP&MAC for the routing table of the router but this is not helped unfortunately. 

Moreover I tryed to use DMZ for forwarding all port for one address.

Conclusion: Not work...

I noticed, the WOL work without use any IP adress on my local area network using only the MAC address. This may can use brodcast ip of the network. Moreover to this address is unable to forward on the router. 

I cannot use Wake on Wan in my case. Simply nor work. I tryed anything

Routing table add is possible only with telnet or SSH on the router. After router reset this registration on this is changed which contain only IP and not the IP&MAC combo. 

I tryed it on android. So i dont know may work on other WOL application for other platform. I dont know. I need use Wake on Wan from android. 

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi jbh556,

I believe both of your questions are basically the same question.

The only thing I can think of in this case is that the IP must be a public IP.
    You can't enter addresses starting with 192, 10 or other internal addresses.

Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?