Screen resolution on a headless server

I have a headless server running Windows Server 2012 R2. Whenever I log in, my resolution is set to1024 x 768. There are no other options available as no monitor is plugged into it. I have been looking for away to change the resolution so that it will be larger when I am working on it.

I have tried to set the advanced properties to a different resolution in the contact and computer list but that doesn't seem to do anything. I believe this is because there are no resolutions available other than the standard 1024 x 768. 

Anyone have a solution for this? 

Comments

• krugern
    krugern Posts: 12

I am using a dummy HDMI plug on my headless server. It maked the computer think it's hooked up to a 4K monitor, and I can choose from all resoultions up to 4K.

@brianstoiber wrote:

I have a headless server running Windows Server 2012 R2. Whenever I log in, my resolution is set to1024 x 768. There are no other options available as no monitor is plugged into it. I have been looking for away to change the resolution so that it will be larger when I am working on it.

I have tried to set the advanced properties to a different resolution in the contact and computer list but that doesn't seem to do anything. I believe this is because there are no resolutions available other than the standard 1024 x 768. 

Anyone have a solution for this? 

• Paul_DL
    Paul_DL Posts: 12 ✭✭

Agreed on the dummy plug. I wish TeamViewer told me about it because I lost a lot of time - only to be told it can't work - when it can so easily.

You can run TeamViewer headless with a dummy display adapter (cheap from Amazon, both HDMI and VGA offered). So it's without a display until you unplug the dummy and plug in the real display. No configuration changes needed.

Search Google: Dummy Plug Virtual Display amazon vga hdmi