Posted by deeve
Digon

Error: You established and aborted connections too frequently?

I've been running Team Viewer 12 personal edition for a while with no problems on Windows 7 64-bit. Since this Tuesday, when I try to do a remote session with my other pc I cannot get to the password entry box when I click the 'Connect to partner' button. Out of frustration, I tried a rapid double-click which worked once but when I tried again, I receive this error & cannot try for a timeout period of about 15 mins: "You established and aborted connections too frequently". Is there a bug with this latest version?

90 Replies
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Re: Error: You established and aborted connections too frequently?

Hi @deeve,

This is actually an important security feature in TeamViewer, which has existed for quite a long time. The feature exists as one of the methods we use to protect TeamViewer from brute-force attacks from botnets or would-be hackers.

If someone tries to make multiple connections to the same TeamViewer ID over a short period of time, they will automatically be blocked, for several minutes, from making further connections. This will happen if you click the "Connect to partner" button repeatedly.

You will need to wait for the indicated amount of time before being able to connect again.

Regards,
Jeremy
TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
Posted by deeve
Digon

Hi jeremy,
This is more acurately, a change of terms. I thought to see what would happen if I registered an account with Team Viewer & guess what? It now miraculously connects as it used to.

FYI, waiting for the indicated time (there was never any specific time given) & trying again did not make any difference to this behaviour, or lack of, to be more acurate.

TeamViewer Staff

Hi @deeve,

Can you clarify what you mean by a change of terms? Which terms are you referring to?

The behaviour I described above - that you will be automatically blocked for several minutes if you click the "Connect to partner" button repeatedly - is not affected in any way at all by having a TeamViewer account. This security feature exists whether you are signed into an account or not.

However, once the blocked time has expired, you should be able to connect once again to the remote computer.

Regards,
Jeremy
Posted by deeve
Digon

Sure Jeremy, I was being facetious. The timeout feature you mention did not permit me to log on after it had passed. I did not press the connect button repeatedly for the sake of it - I did so because I could not activate the connection password dialogue box as I was used to doing before. The double clicking was a frustrated attempt to beat the disconnect that was occuring - and this technique did actually work, once.

My English sense or irony was therefore implying that since I registered for a user account, as if by magic, the Connect button now mysteriously works, again.

TeamViewer Staff

Okay, gotcha - thanks for clarifying! :)

Regards,
Jeremy
Posted by sharlow
Photon

This should really be changed to only count failed logins.

This limit just hit me when connecting to a flaky machine, I've disconnected and reconnected about a dozen times in the last two minutes and now it's telling me I have to sit and wait.

Brute force protection is a good thing, but valid correctly-authenticating connections are not a brute force.

Posted by rdpoor
Henagon

@Jeremy wrote:

> they will automatically be blocked, for several minutes

Can you offer any guidance on the definition of "several minutes"?  My client's WiFi connection is demonstrably bad so I've been hit with this error message a few times.  Since my client pays me for my time, it would be important to know how long I need to to wait.

Posted by Babak
Photon

Agreed, this is incredibly annoying and frustrating.  We have a paid license for Teamviewer and trying to help a client out and I got locked out of hteir machine and I have no idea how long I need to wait before trying again.  Terrible design.  If you need to confirm I am not a bot, how about presenting a captcha?  How about helping your customers instead of **bleep**ing them off.  

Posted by nattus
Digon

I am in the same boat.  Paid license and i cant conenct to a client becauseof this stupid feature.  I had to restart  the modem so was hitting connect a few times to see when it came back online.  Now i am sitting here, not earning money ,waitingt for some undisclosed amount of time to pass.  You must have a better way of doing this.

Posted by D_
Digon

Jeremy:

That doesn't explain why this happens for errors like WaitForConnectFailed where the password exchange never even happened and it's your router that decided to end the connection attempt rather than wait longer like I want it to.

Posted by ForcedtowaitFFS
Henagon

"for a while" is NOT an indicated time.  How long do I have to wait, a minute, a day or a year?

TeamViewer Staff

Hi all,

As mentioned in my previous post, you only need to wait for several minutes - approximately 10 to 15 minutes should be enough (it's not exact)..

Regards,
Jeremy
Posted by lalux
Henagon

Hello,

we are encountering the same problem here. This is NO indication of how long we have to wait. This is very frustrating. We need to help our customers and we cannot as we are locked out !

How can we remove this "superb" security feature ? We are not being paid here for being not able to help people. Do we need to go back in TeamViewer version ? This can't be serious.

Please provide a solution !

Kind regards,

Patrick

Posted by canucklehead
Henagon

Right in the middle of a stressful network down situation i was hit with this stupid problem.  Switched to Logmein to get the job done.

Please hear your customers feedback - this is dealbreaking problem that will make people switch to another solution.

Posted by Mk2
Henagon

I have just had trhis problem when being impatient waiting for a machine to reboot, so not entirely sure how that is a security feature when it was not instigated by the remote machine but TV running on my laptop, just because it could not connect to the remote machine about 4 times in a row with a message similar to "Team viewer is not running on the remote computer"! This is really rubbish, please remove this "feature" (bug) or get it to work properly

Posted by Andr
Photon

Me too!

Please disable this "feature". We also have a corporate license for TV 12, and have lately big problems logging in to our customers.

Posted by LSWBAC
Digon

Currently unable to connect to one of my client machines with this error, which means I have a retail terminal unable to trade, so this is actively costing my company money. 

Note I have had multiple SUCCESSFUL connections, just a **bleep** connection at the client end neccessitating re-establishing connections. Happily we're in the process of renewing - I feel I'll be making recommendations for other solutions. 

Posted by tibbz
Henagon

Same happening here too connecting to a very slow machine. Very frustrating

Posted by Cus423
Henagon

I just had this annoying problem as well. First I tried to connect and then I guess the client quite TeamViewer in the same moment. After that he opened it again and it didn't work anymore. It was always trying to connect. We both restartet our machines and it still didn't work. I wasted a lot of time and money. Additionally it made me look unprofessional.

This is very bad design!!!

Posted by alsmithy2000
Photon

it says ive tried and disconected too many times nbut this was due to you saying i had not enough connections so kept trying to see when one came free now one is free i cant connect what a S******D design this is/!!

Posted by canberkbaci
Henagon

This is the reason why you should not pay for this software.

Posted by robrtitus
Electron

I'm in agreement with everyone else, implement a captcha. Security is useless if the people that have access to a resource cannot due to security limitations.

Posted by gsasscer
Henagon

At what point will Teamviewer support take notice? We have a paid license to use this software product, which we purchased based on recommendations of others... I wonder how long those recommendations will continue if Teamviewer support turns a deaf ear to this thread? We pay for the software, do not limit our use with this poor design.

Posted by mogulskier
Digon

how much time is  the official time required to wait?  we have an observatory at the top of a remote mountain with a very bad internet connection and it would be good to know how to keep from locking up like this.

Thanks

Posted by mogulskier
Digon

so it's a random amount of time between 10 and 15 minutes?  It would be acceptable to state  that.  

For those of you complaining about this, it's not TVs fault that there are sick people out there who get satisfaction from just causing problems for others.  Think of this as protection for DoS attacks.  Brute force attacks are those where someone/something is iterating through credentials and possible passwords.  TV is protecting from both.  

I'd prefer that the TV server (not the remote client which may be behind a flaky internet) give the option to authenticate or reauthenticate my connection to TV.  I'm getting locked out after reattempting connections numerous times, but with 30 seconds between the attempts.  

Posted by D_
Digon

@mogulskier wrote:

For those of you complaining about this, it's not TVs fault that there are sick people out there who get satisfaction from just causing problems for others.  Think of this as protection for DoS attacks.  Brute force attacks are those where someone/something is iterating through credentials and possible passwords.  TV is protecting from both.  

This is FAR below the level of DoS. Their stated reason for this error message is to prevent password brute force attacks. The bug is that they are counting connection attempts that never even got to the password exchange phase and they are even doing this for people that are logged into accounts trying to connect to computers that are assigned to them with easy access.

The obvious reason they aren't fixing this bug is because this thread currently only has 11 "me too" votes. They don't mind shafting their users as long as it's only a minority.

Posted by Cerwindel
Photon

Might have to switch off this software because of this trash. 

This should be able to be disabled.. Now I have a client that I cant help in a crunch because your software locked me out for an UNKNOWN TIME over multi clicks..

Byebye Teamviewer.. We gotta dump you.

Posted by cirEOak
Digon

Has anyone ever tried to call support for this issue?

I did today, and they pointed to the remote computer being the issue, but couldn't go any further obviously because I couldn't connect to it.  Rebooting the machine resolved the issue, but didn't reveal the problem.

They instructed me to grab the log files from the remote computer (Extras >> Open Log Files), and open a support ticket (https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/) so they can analyze it.  They also have a data collector (http://download.teamviewer.com/support/TeamViewer_SupportCollector.exe) that can be used that seemingly creates log files in a more controlled manner, but ultimately provides the same information as the log files, according to the person I spoke with.

So, TeamViewer Staff: could you direct us in the right direction next time instead of just telling us the obvious?  This thread is two pages at the time.  There was no solution posted, and I have to say issues like this make products from other vendors much more appealing.  We NEED support.  It isn't a luxury with a paid product.  Thanks for listening and improving.

-A Paying Customer

Posted by Pedrito
Electron

This is very annoying. Moreover there should be a more accurate system to prevent DDOS. A brute force attack implies thousands of connections / sec in order to be possible. Unless a user tried to connect with such frequency (tough for a human being isn't it ?), why blocking him for 2 or 3 failed attempt within the same minute ????

Posted by TuanTu-ubidata
Henagon

And if I don't wait enough and try again, do I get re-timed out for another 10-15 minutes ?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

And indeed this is really an inconvenient way to implement DOS/brute force protection.

I landed in this situation because of flaky connection on the remote I was trying to connect to and re-tried several times (at a human pace, waiting for a few seconds before retrying...)

Posted by Ian
Henagon

Wow, this is maybe the worst anti-Dos system I have seen, it affects everyone negatively. Will not pay for teamviewer until they fix this

Posted by angryhobbiest
Electron

give me the ability to disable this on specific remote clients that will fix bad connection situations and failed connections

Posted by Pallaros
Henagon

This is very silly !!

I am trying to recover my PC remotely that has been hit by ransomware, I have one millon issues to solve, and you are adding a layer of difficulty to my situation. Why? I didn't ask you to take precautions of how many times I will access MY pc.

Posted by LucVinck1
Henagon

This is indeed a very stupid option. I want to give support to a client who does not start Teamviewer correctly a number of times and now I have to wait until this stupid option allows me to connect again. Disable this feature immediatly if the code sees that you use a registered and offical version! 

Posted by tdenson
Digon

Me too. How annoying is this. I was just now idly hitting connect repeatedly waiting for a computer that had just been rebooted to come online. I waa in a real hurry which was why I was doing this and lo and behold I suddenly get locked out for an unstated time period - I think it said "wait some time". Firstly, how will telling me what that period of time is compromise security. Secondly, how do I know if I try again before that unknown period has expired whether it will restart the timeout. What an absolute farcical way of handling it. What's even more farcical is that this thread has been running for over a year and I see no acknowledgement from TV that it is a **bleep** up. I pay $1,000 per year for this s/w. I expect it to work when I need it.

Posted by tibbz
Henagon

I will let my subscription lapse this year and run with [competitor link removed by moderator per Community Guidelines] . This serves about 90% of my calls. No one responded to my calls here asking for pay per session so stuff them - I'm off. Watch this post get deleted in quick time too.

Posted by tdenson
Digon

As an interesting aside, I'm curious about the automatic censorship on this forum software. What I actually said in that previous post was "c**k up" which in the UK is not perceived as swearing, however by replacing it with "*bleep* up" it makes it look like I used the F-word - which I didn't !

Posted by Elliott
Digon

+1 this feature is wasting my time. Sometimes when I try to connect, I don't see the password prompt. Not sure why this happens, but sometimes I can get around it by clicking connect repeatedly. Now I am locked out of helping customers.
Posted by ebunick
Digon

another **bleep**ed off customer here.  I'm sat late at work, my chinese colleague is up in the middle of the night and we can't use TeamViewer because it wont connect agaon for a mystery amount of time.

Flakey connections are super common around the world - this "feature" makes me want to scream

Posted by remlei
Electron

whats with this stupid security feature.

developers, just implement a effing capcha already if your reason is security.

Posted by mooseman
Electron

this terrible design is still going on... this is the worst attempt at bruteforce blocking i've ever seen. currently unable to connect to a client that needs help now, not some unknown time into the future from now.

Posted by smeads
Neutron

Why would you want to block yourself from connectivty? I'm trying to get in to my machines - i'm autnenticated on your client, but it says I cannot connect due to too many frequent connections. It only takes a couple tries to get this annoying feature. Be nice to be able to disable it. 

I agree...... it's a really unprofessional and annoying feature. I cannot imagine having to tell the customer that you are at the mercy of this software for an unkown amount of time. I only use teamviewer in places where 3389 is blocked. 

5 mins, and it's still telling me blocked. This is why I won't pay for Teamtimewaster.

Posted by jschiav
Electron

Maybe put the ACTUAL TIME in so we know exactly how long to wait?

Also, a WARNING would be really helpful. Like, "the next connection that is aborted will lead to a wait."

I had no idea this was going to happen. Frustrating as **bleep**.

Posted by tdenson
Digon

@jschiav wrote:

Maybe put the ACTUAL TIME in so we know exactly how long to wait?

Also, a WARNING would be really helpful. Like, "the next connection that is aborted will lead to a wait."

I had no idea this was going to happen. Frustrating as **bleep**.

Exactly !! There are so many ways in which this ridiculous *feature* could be made tolerable, but the longer this thread goes on the more I am beginning to think that TV do not listen to their users, or read their own community messages, and the more likely I am to switch to ConnectWise having signed up for a free trial when this first happened.

Posted by hottweelz
Digon

Found this thread after googling this stupid error.

Congratulations, I"m never buying a license, and moving to [deleted by moderator].

This was the most inconvenient thing I've ever seen.

I went from new potential customer to "**bleep**ed off" in a matter of 30 minutes.

Great Job

Posted by Jabuticaba
Henagon

Me too, paid Team Viewer 13, customers Team Viewer was taking forever to open so I clicked connect a few too many times it seems & the customer has been waiting with health patients sitting waiting for my team viewer to connect due to this silly overprotective mode without an eta for me to give to the customer ridiculous, luckily after it not connecting I realised I have 2 IP Address thanks to VPN & just switched off VPN & it worked as it was a different IP address... it's a lame security feature which a brute force attacker could easily switch IP Addresses.

FYI to all if you are desperate & have vpn just either connect to vpn or disconect vpn if you were on it already this will be your work around till TeamViewer gets their act together if they ever do as I can see this thread has been open for a year or so...!

Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Hi Jabuticaba,

Brute force protection is a necessary part of the software and unfortunately for the protection of our users and the system this cannot be removed. We understand this thread is still open, but even though we understand the feature can cause some frustration, it must be kept in place.

Also, please note that the IP switch method is not true for most cases.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
Posted by tdenson
Digon

That's a very depressing answer if you represent TeamViewer. What about all the suggestions there have been in this thread of making it tolerable such as firstly warning it's going to happen and secondly giving an ETA of when one can try again. I think my decision to evaluate ConnectWise was a good one.

Posted by Mk2
Henagon

Hello Scotty,

I can understand the need for brute force attack protection, however when this happend to me it was when I had remotely rebooted the remote client, I clicked on connect before it had fully restarted and got the message "Team Viewer is not running ont the client" (or somethign like that), so tried again, same message, tried again and got locked out. So it was not as if I had tried quickly in sucession with incorrect credentials, it was just that the first few times TV was not fully running and able to accept connections, so really think there is a flaw in the logic somewhere. At the very least a message should be displayed on the remote client stating what has happened and allowing the user on the remote client to over rule the system and allow the connection. Also a bit disapointing it has taken so long for someone at TV to reply to this thread.