Remote control: password is blank

I've installed TeamViewer (Personal use) on my Mac and a friend's Mac: both running Catalina.

My installation is fine: running TeamViewer shows the ID and the password.

When my friend runs TeamViewer, her ID is shown, but there is just a hyphen in the password box.

She has access granted to TeamViewer in System Preferences, Security, Privacy for Accessibility, Full Disck Access and Screen Recording.

How can I get her installation to show a password, so I can control it?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓

Hello @AlanWilson,

First, you need to make sure that you enabled and apply the random password in the TeamViewer options of the remote Mac.

Once this is done, you will be able to re-generate it with the little arrow.

I prepared a GIF that shows you how to proceed:

Enable random password_Mac.gif

I hope this could make it more clear.

Let me know how it goes! ?

Jean

Community Manager

Answers

• Many thanks, Jean. Easy when you know!

• JeanK

@AlanWilson this is so true...

This is why we have the Community! ?

I hope to see you in the Community soon! ?

Jean

Community Manager

• Jean

Sadly that didn't work: the remote computer's password field remains obstinately blank (with just a hyphen in). There is no circle + arrow to the right of the field, so can't re-generate.

My TeamViewer version is 15.5.3; the remote is running 15.6.7. Both on Mac OS with automatic updates on, so pretty recent.

The remote has uninstalled TeamViewer and reinstalled: no change.

I've got her to try all 4 options for Random Password in Preferences, Advanced: no change (Apply, Quit & run again after each change).

I've looked through all the settings and nothing seems wrong

I'm baffled! Any ideas?

Alan

• JeanK
    Answer ✓

Hello @AlanWilson,

First, you need to make sure that you enabled and apply the random password in the TeamViewer options of the remote Mac.

Once this is done, you will be able to re-generate it with the little arrow.

I prepared a GIF that shows you how to proceed:

Enable random password_Mac.gif

I hope this could make it more clear.

Let me know how it goes! ?

Jean

Community Manager

• Jean

That worked a treat!

Many thanks

Alan

• FaridBM
    FaridBM Posts: 1

Hi JeanK,

I work in a firm with hundreds of users and I noticed this -password field being blank- many times, not always tho.

The installation process is the same for all users/laptops where TeamViewer is deployed via Intune.

Do you have an idea about why on some laptops it deploys normally (with ID and P.W showing) while on others the P.W is not?

We can still manage to activate the P.W and get it showing, but I don't understand why it happens? especially when it's deployed to all laptops using the same policy!

Thank you.

• JeanK
    edited November 2023

Hi @FaridBM,

Thank you for posting here!

One possibility that would explain this is that a TeamViewer policy is applied on the devices now showing a password.

Via policy, you can enforce the password to be hidden with the parameter Password strength ➜ Disabled (no random password).

Has such a policy been assigned to your devices?

You can check this in your device list by enabling the TeamViewer policy column.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Hrofti
    Hrofti Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited February 19

Hello everybody

PC Windows 10

TW has no pass. Can see it on the GIF. Restarted TW to no avail. Can you please tell me what to do?