Announcements

Join the discussion about TeamViewer and the Windows 10 2004 Update: Click here

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

SMB Use?

Does TeamViewer use SMB?  If so which version(s)?  The concern came up as a result of on going activities to remove all software with vulnerable versions of SMB and I need to convince IT that TeamViewer is ok.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: SMB Use?

Hi @dhalstead, hi @Chiron,

TeamViewer indeed does not use SMB1 but uses a proprietary protocol for all connections.

Regardless of whether or not, our users decide to use SMB1, TeamViewer is not depending on that and will run.

I hope, that helps. 

All the best, Esther

Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button. Find more information here: Knowledge Base | Community Blog | How to get started

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Hexagon

Sounds like they want to stop using SMB1 for security reasons. If SMB1 is disabled and an application requires it, the app won't work. As far as I know, applications can't restart SMB1 and Microsoft is keeping a running list of programs that use SMB1. TeamViewer is not on this list and I haven't had any issues on any "non-SMB1-computers".

That being said, I have no idea what protocol is used by TeamViewer for file transfer. Maybe @Esther could verify this? She gave a great answer to a security question earlier.

Are-TeamViewer-Credentials-at-risk

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
Highlighted
Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @dhalstead, hi @Chiron,

TeamViewer indeed does not use SMB1 but uses a proprietary protocol for all connections.

Regardless of whether or not, our users decide to use SMB1, TeamViewer is not depending on that and will run.

I hope, that helps. 

All the best, Esther

Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button. Find more information here: Knowledge Base | Community Blog | How to get started

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Thank you for the confirmation.  That's the answer I was looking for.