Teamviewer instant support embedded links not opening; URL format not recognised by xdg-open

When opening embedded TeamViewer instant support URLs from a web browser, xdg-open cannot find a program associated with the link.

xdg-open is trying to open teamviewer8://instantsupport/?sid=sXX-XXX-XXX and has no clue which program to open as from the CLI, xdg-open says the specified location is not supported.

Two questions.  How can this be fixed so that TeamViewer opens on these embedded links?  Also, how does one open an instant support session from an already installed TeamViewer client?

Cheers,

Rich

Comments

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @rfleming 

Could you please clarify what version of the operating system and Teamviewer are you using?

Also, could you upload a screenshot when this happens (please hide the ID & password)?

Best regards

• rfleming
    rfleming Posts: 3

Hi @Vatsilidis,

I made a mistake with the OS tag on my original post, I am using Fedora and not CentOS.

Specifically, I am using Fedora Workstation 31 with GNOME 3.34 and the official TeamViewer (15.4.4445) RPM provided.

I am trying to open a TeamViewer link (provided by my helpdesk software) which looks like https://get.teamviewer.com/v15/en/sXXXXXXXX-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.  The X's are numeric, and the Z's are random, mixed-case, alpha-numeric characters.

There is an icon on the page which when clicked opens a Chrome dialogue box asking to open xdg-open.  Allowing xdg-open to run does nothing.

Trying to accomplish the same thing in FireFox yields a different error.  Firefox complains that the address (teamviewer8://instantsupport/?sid=sXXXXXXXX&t=ZZZZZZZZZZZZ) wasn't understood.

I've looked and there is no MimeType for x-scheme-handler/teamviewer8 registered on my system, nor does the TeamViewer.desktop icon contain one.

On Windows, this---obviously---works without issue. :)

• Vatsilidis

Hi

I know that it is a different kind of error, but I would recommend you take a look at the solution of this post because it is related to Fedora connections issues and maybe it is also the solution in your case.

Best regards

• rfleming
    rfleming Posts: 3

Just an FYI to anyone following along at home.  This is NOT a solution for FC31. 

This bricked my test environment and I couldn't boot into a GUI after disabling dbus-broker; actually hanging my system immediately after disabling it.

• Vatsilidis

Hi

You can always contact the support with a phone call or open a ticket in order to get further assistance with your issue.

Best regards