Posted by WalterTamboer
Electron

Wayland Support

Hi,

Will Teamviewer support Wayland? And if so, when will this version of Teamviewer be released?

Thanks

17 Replies
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Re: Wayland Support

Dear WalterTamboer,

Thank you for your post.

At the moment, our developers are working on a Linux Native version for Linux but there's no release date or information about features included.

I will forward your suggestion to support Wayland our product management team.

Such ideas are always welcome, although we can not promise when or if this Feature will be implemented.

Decisions for new features are mainly based on customer's suggestions.

Nevertheless, your feedback is crucial to us, as we want to continue to develop TeamViewer-based on our user's need.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Christian

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Highlighted
Posted by fansari
Digon

My first try of TeamViewer ended up with "black screen" on client side (Chromebook in my case).

Server side is Fedora 25 and as you can guess the reason for the "black screen" is not on Chromebook side but due to the fact that Fedora 25 uses Wayland by default (unless confiugred differently).

As I found out today: when I use X it works.

So yes - please develop a Linux native version with Wayland support!

Posted by Spurlos
Henagon

Now when Ubuntu 17.10 is out, its main display server is Wayland. Due to being the mainstream distro for linux\gnu we would require a Wayland compatible Teamviewer app. In 6 months there would be an LTS release which would adopt Wayland for the next few years at least.

Could we get at least and ETA\status update on work being done on Wayland support? If its possible currently, or Wayland security model is too comlpex to adapt Teamviewer for it? Because many articles over the net state that alot of things that X.org allowed, wont be possible with Wayland in current model. Curious if we as Teamviewer users on Ubuntu should wait for proper support of new technology stack, or go an search for an alternative for remote desktop app.

Thanks!

Posted by DigitalSpinner
Henagon

+1

Posted by maggiv8
Digon

Same here. Just installed Ubuntu 17.10 and teamviewer doesn't work anymore on wayland, but it works on x.org. It doesn't work at all with the *.deb file on wayland and with the *.tar.gz file it ends up in a black screen. Any wayland support would be highly appreciated.

Posted by ringe
Henagon

Hi,

I had TeamViewer 12 install when I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 with Wayland.

No issues with TeamViewer whatsoever. It has continued being an essential tool.
I support all kinds of people and systems with it.

Then I upgraded to TeamViewer 13 BETA and it simply says it cannot open in Wayland.

What is the point? If TeamViewer 12 works under Wayland, why can't 13?

Ubuntu 17.10 runs X applications under Wayland with no problems at all.

Please fix the BETA so I can continue using TeamViewer.

Best Regards
Runar

Posted by rompe
Henagon

Any progress here? Would have been nice if TeamViewer had been ready for Wayland when Ditributions started defaulting to Wayland. Since this opportunity has clearly been missed, is there any chance TeamViewer will at least someday work again on modern Linux Desktops? Xorg will not always be there, and even now I doubt all people will fall back to Xorg just for TeamViewer.
TeamViewer Staff

Wayland Support in TV 13

@WalterTamboer@fansari, @Spurlos, @DigitalSpinner, @maggiv8, @rompe
Please read about the current state of Wayland in the TV13 announcement.
In short: GUI starts, outgoing connections possible.
Also note that we will release an update next week adding important features.

@ringe, you installed teamviewer-host, not teamviewer. Please read the announcement above, then try with the teamviewer package.

Linux Developer
TeamViewer Staff

Re: Wayland Support in TV 13

Along with our new release, I also posted a dedicated explanation on the state of Wayland:
[Update: 13.0.6634] Christmas Update
State of Wayland & TeamViewer

All the best,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by DigitalSpinner
Henagon

Re: Wayland Support in TV 13

Hi Thank you! Just installed the current preview and somehow is getting usable again (I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 with Wayland disabled) - I can both view/control and act as a server for my home linux desktop again (despite no integration with TV account, which obviously is work in progress I suppose..).

Once again thank you, keep up good work, TV is excellent.

Posted by Gianmar
Henagon

Is there any new about wayland support.... 

Posted by Moham
Electron

Re: Wayland Support OMG!

Teamviewer 13  ....  the new must have tool , it rocks on windows platform, there is no match

but when it comes to wayland support well the things get bad.....  wayland  is  the default main display server and it will be the default for all the major  linux distros....     simple no way to work tv ...      switching to xorg for now...  well no so good workaround...... can you please speed up the development for this major issue and support wayland...

Thanks

Posted by Tim42
Neutron

We pray for that.....  wayland situation and the teamviewer support for that is really something that makes our situation dificult,  but we all have to acknowledge  that tv  stuff works hard to keep up and fix this issue, i know its hard to pay big bugs  for the subscription  and to expect to work flawlessly  as it must be,  but we all have to wait litle more i guess and lets hope the issues will be resolved soon.

Thanks 

Timothy

Posted by ringe
Henagon

The problem is upstream in Wayland, as far as I have understood.

I wish TeamViewer would show how great they are and just put money on the table to get the upstream fixed. Just hire Red Hat to take on the task, or Canonical.

Posted by Khaliiq
Henagon

Still waiting for that support

Posted by xdabire
Neutron

it's actually supported within the last version
Posted by Nikkoid
Photon

Ubuntu 0.18.10 : Teamviewer does the same error: Teamviewer not running on target computer.

Yes it doesm and xrdp is working and port 5938, 80 and 443 are open, so what your team is doing?

Just install Ubuntu + mate and see by yourself.