This Computer or contact is allready in your list

Options
Irak
Irak Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

i have 4 computers in my "my computers:" group when I try to change thew group they are in to another existing group message. i get is :This Computer or contact is allready in your list" Is there a step by step to fix this?

Comments

• MLC_Virnig
    MLC_Virnig Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Why doesnt anyone answer these questions?

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hello @MLC_Virnig & @Irak

Thanks for your posts!

Firstly, please know that the TeamViewer community is a user-based community - many solutions and replies come from our dedicated user-base!

With such an active community, I hope it is understandable that we cannot ensure each post receives a reply - we are here to assist whenever possible however, so let's do that now!

Let's talk about the error first; this alert means that the TeamViewer ID of the device you are attempting to add is already in your Computers & Contacts list.

This topic came up in another recent thread from a different user. I've linked my reply below:

There are a couple takeaways:

• The ID of a device is unique, so it can only be entered once into a user's Computers & Contacts list
    • The alias of a device, however, is not unique; an identical alias can be used for many IDs in a user's Computers & Contacts list

To discover which alias the ID you are trying to enter currently has in your list, simply search the ID within the TeamViewer app:

The second part of the issue is when it occurred - specifically, when attempting to move a device from one group to another. If an ID can only be in the list once, how is this possible? you may ask!

In this situation, it is because one of the groups is a Shared Group - one shared to you by another user. This is indicated with a little cloud icon ☁ next to the group.

To resolve: The device you want to add to your Computers & Contacts list from the original group is already added. Therefore, it could be the alias is wrong. Using the search function as mentioned above, when you search the ID you will find the device with it's current alias. In the device properties, update the alias if incorrect. Otherwise, you are all set as the ID is already a part of your list.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions 😁

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---