Can't change ID

4M3T
4M3T Posts: 1
edited March 2021 in General questions

Does anyone know any trick to force TV to make a new ID?

A scammer tricked a client and connected to the client's computer with TeamViewer, which I regularly use with the client. So now the scammer knows my client's TV ID. TeamViewer isn't running in unattended mode, but it's still nerve-wracking for my client, who only runs TV manually (tells me the ID and new password over the phone each time).

For the client's peace of mine, we want a new TV ID. I tried removing TV via its own "uninstall" feature in its Preferences, Advanced page (including the checkbox to delete all config in) but after reinstalling TV it had the same ID.

I also tried manually removing TV (macOS, Big Sur) with macOS hidden files shown. I looked in applications, application support in root and user folder, frameworks, containers, group containers, preferences in root and user folder, plus startup items root's library launchdaemons and launchagents. But still, the same ID returns when reinstalling TV.

Maybe TV uses the Mac's the IP address and/or M.A.C. ID to reassign the same ID after each installation? If so, I could give the Mac a new IP and spoof its MAC ID if just a different IP address doesn't help. I may try that the next time I'm onsite.

TV support replied to my support request and claimed there's no way to get a new ID on purpose. The support agent only vaguely explained that TV uses a variety of factors to assign an ID.

My workaround for this client was to use **Information removed as per Community Guidelines** instead and remove TV completely (again).

Ironically, some users in this forum posted in 2017 - 2020 the opposite problem: their TV installations keep getting new IDs. I'd like to have that problem since my clients only run TV manually.

I tried everything I found online but nothing helped, perhaps because the advice was too old and TV has since changed its ID assignment methods in order to fix the opposite problem of unexpected undesired ID changes.

Tagged: