Transfer Files - Extremely Slow (UDP or non-UDP)

Options
Henry_B
Henry_B Posts: 1
edited August 2021 in General questions

I've been enjoying using Team Viewer and am very impressed with the remote desktop features. However, file transfer appears to be broken. There are other posts dating back to 2016 in earlier versions, but I am posting this again because this is a serious functionality gap and still present in v.15.

Problem: The Transfer Files system works but is extremely slow. Browsing folders is fast, even when doing so remotely. But once a file transfer is initiated, the speed is between 100-500kBps.

Troubleshooting:

This appears not a connection issue - this happens on a local 802.11ax network with only 802.11ax devices. Additionally, even when remote the source computer has a 1Gbps up / 1Gbps down fiber connection, and the recipient device is on an AX or AC 600 MBps download connection. Additionally, transfers using other sharing methods consistently show 10-20 MBps throughput.

This appears not a device issue - this happens when transferring to a phone or to another computer.

This appears not a UDP issue - Despite the previous years-old post on this subject suggesting it's a UDP problem, this happens even when turning off UDP in Team Viewer on the source computer and recipient device.

This is tested and the problem exists on: Windows 10 v.15 to Android 10 v.15; and Windows 10 v.15 to Windows 10 v.15.

I've looked at all prior posts I could find on this, and none of them resolve the issue. The most in-depth thread with a response from "Julia" in 2017 suggests it is a UDP issue, but again, this doesn't appear to have solved my or others issues:

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/5823/file-transfer-speed-still-slow-as-ever/p1

Can someone from the TeamViewer team help resolve this? Or have other users actually resolved this problem?

Answers

• EeroP
    EeroP Posts: 1
    Options

Adding a "this is a significant problem for me too message"!

I would also like to add a question, is the Teamviewer UDP usage documented?

Most of my file transfers work OK (use UDP). but in those cases the remote end has a simple network connection. I cases where the other end is "significantly firewalled" the UDP connection does not work (Also my local network is firewalled). I cannot control the other end configuration, but I would be able to change my local network firewalls, if that would help TeamViewer.

• Didi
    Didi Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Bringing this up again.

I have two homes, the first with a fiber connection speed of 10gbps downstream and 2gbps upstream, and the second with a fiber connection speed of 2.5gbps downstream and 1gbps upstream. In the homes there are 2 i9-13900k Intel core desktop computers, one with 10gbE ethernet nic, and the other with 2.5gbE Ethernet nic. Both of them are directly connected to a multi gigabit port of the respective ISP routers, using cat 8 cables.

I tested those connections with ookla and their upstream speeds never go below respectively 1.3gbps and 700mbps. So I expected a worst scenario home-to-home transfer speed of nearly 700mbps. Keep in mind that uploading files to Onedrive from those connections often works at or above respectively 1.2gbps and 800mbps.

Instead, trying to download a file from one another of these two computers with TeamViewer, all I get is a sluggish 100mbps rate, which seems to be quite constant, like it is a software-coded software-limited speed.

Anyone at TeamViewer can please shed light on this issue? Are there any settings I should tweak?

Thank you in advance