Can US version connect with Chinese version of TeamViewer?

I purchased a Raspberry Pi camera from Hong Kong (Arducam). The camera started having problems, and the Hong Kong support team wants to connect to my US-based system with TeamViewer, in order to troubleshoot. My question is: Can their Chinese version of TeamViewer find my US version of TeamViewer? I would prefer NOT to install a Chinese version of the program, so I'm wanting to know if I can just run my US version and have them still able to find and connect to it.

The other option is to download a Chinese version they recommend, but I'm just trying to avoid that unless absolutely necessary.

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,985 Community Manager 🌍
    Answer ✓

Hello @ldwellman,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community! 🚀

Yes, you can run your US version - they will be able to connect.

There is no difference in terms of the program. It's just the language that changes.

/JeanK

Community Manager

Answers

• JeanK
    Answer ✓

Hello @ldwellman,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community! 🚀

Yes, you can run your US version - they will be able to connect.

There is no difference in terms of the program. It's just the language that changes.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• ldwellman
    ldwellman Posts: 2 ✭✭

@JeanK thank you for responding. However, the Hong Kong tech was never able to connect with my U.S. version. I eventually had to load the Chinese version he requested in order to connect. I'm wondering if perhaps that version used a different intermediate server, because my U.S. version created a typical 9-digit "ID" for my machine, but the Chinese version created a 10-digit ID. The first digit was a "1" (similar to telephones and an international digit code). I didn't think to ask him to try prefixing with a "1". I just relented and loaded their version. I used a separate SD card in the Pi, with a fresh OS that was only used for that session, so I'm not worried about any potential security risk.

If there's a next time, I may ask them to try with the extra digit, but it's a lesson learned for now. Either they use a different intermediate server, or we need to consider some international prefix.

• JeanK
    edited February 2023

Hi @ldwellman,

Thanks for getting back.

Don't worry - having 9 or 10 digits is not related to the country where the client is installed.

You can have a 10-digit ID anywhere in the world.

The reason why they could not connect to you sounds more like a technical issue rather than a geo-location issue.

Maybe next time, you could ask them to make sure their client is up-to-date or also ask them to reinstall TeamViewer on their device.

As long as you run the latest version on both sides, it should work flawlessly. No matter which language is set up in the client.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/JeanK

Community Manager