TeamViewer suddenly will not create a random password for remote access

I'm using the classic interface on TeamViewer 15.55.3 (64-bit) in Windows 11.

Under "Allow Remote Control", it lists my ID and, below that, it usually lists "One-Time Password". This afternoon, however, there is simply a dash (-) below the heading "One-Time Password." Is the TeamViewer service currently down?

When I click the button with three vertically-stacked dots and select "Create new random password," a new password is not generated. Moreover, when I select "Copy random password to clipboard," only a dash (-) is copied to the clipboard.

Comments

• TVSupportMatt
    TVSupportMatt Posts: 87 Staff member 🤠

Hello @classic35mm

Thank you for your contribution to our Community by making this post! 🌏️

It sounds like the password has been disabled in the security settings within the application. You want to click the settings icon (gear/cog wheel), then select the Security tab, and finally choose a character count from the drop-down menu next to Password strength.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further help. 👍️

• Our agents have also reported this problem. However, the filed you are referring to is greyed out, and cannot be changed.

• TVSupportMatt
    TVSupportMatt Posts: 87 Staff member 🤠

Hello @Henkel_Support

Thank you for your contribution to our Community by making this comment! 🌏️

If the ONLY area that is greyed out is this specific drop-down menu area, then that means there is a policy being enforced to the device(s) called Password Strength and it has been set to disabled, forcing that setting not to be changed.

Information on our policies and setting them up are outlined in the two Knowledge Base articles below.

Policy settings (teamviewer.com)

Policies (teamviewer.com)

If every setting option is greyed out, then most likely the setting for Changes require administrative rights on this computer, under the advanced category is checked off.

However, it is more likely that the policy is your answer here. I would suggest looking into the policy assignments for your devices and their groups/device group folders.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further help. 👍️