[Update: 13.1.3026] Spring Update

2»

Comments

• sglatz
    sglatz Posts: 2

Hi, I've got 2 feature request - It might not be Linux specific but since I am using the Linux Client ( mostly to connect to Windows Machines when doing homeoffice ) I thought I would just post it here and hope it will reach the right people somehow.

So here goes

1. Multimonitor Support

At my company many people use multiple monitors and I am one of them. When doing homeoffice I need the ability to open each of these Monitors in a separate window so that I can see what I am doing at a glance.

In TV13 it seems I can only switch between Monitors but that's just not efficient. People with multiple monitors usually have them for a reason: because they need several windows open >at the same time<. Showing only one at a time completely defies the purpose of having multiple monitors in the first place.

I can imagine that it is a rare setup and not many people are affected by it but It was perfectly integrated in TV12, why throw it away? Is there any chance it will come back? I am stuck on TV12 because of this (jeopardizing my companies Software infrastructure while I am at it because everyone else is using TV13 and those two dont play nice with each other, so I am pretty alone on my island... )

2. Fullscreen Mode

In TV12 there was a fullscreen mode which actually filled the whole screen. It worked like a charm. With same resolution monitor locally and remotely it was just like you actually sat over there.

Now the best that we got is the maximize window button which is not the same. It's ugly! First of all there is this rescaling going which offends my eyes and then a major portion of the screen is cluttered with the window frame and my local taskbars which I do not need because I am working remotely.

Now, I feel this feature is not too exotic. Sure It might not be critical for short remote control session but for longer sessions having your local taskbar and the window frame constantly in your face is really annoying.

Again: It was perfect in TV12, why throw it away? Any chance it will ever be coming back?

Best regards,

Stefan

• DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

Hey guys, time for another round of Q&A :robothappy:

In-session chat: @duki92@ndit@JNA, thanks for your valuable feedback. We have put it high in the priority list.

@QPG you are, I assume, the only person who ever found out this actually worked with the old Linux version :robotwink: (It works because the wrapper forwards unknown params to the Wine binary)
    I think it will come back at some point, shouldn't be complicated. Just can't promise a date.

@vkovalchuk: connecting to mobile devices is, unfortunately, not yet implemented. Coming soon™.

@EpsilonAlpha: Sound support has two parts: Forwarding computer sounds and VoiP. The former was never before implemented for Linux I think, as it is mostly a gimmick. VoiP will come back when we shift our development focus to meeting.

@yolor: I can confirm that. However, it's not actually detecting Wayland... Rather, on the affected 32-bit systems, the UI is just completely broken and showing random things. Possibly a bug in the 32-bit Qt libs. We'll investigate.

@cranesmart: Our UI still uses the "classic" layout, which may change eventually. Yes, things are still missing as we've been starting over. We're working on it. See the previous announcements linked in the article to appreciate the progress during the last months.

@sglatz: As your most pressing question seems to be why on earth those features are currently not there, I'd like to point you to the previous announcements (linked above) explaining the advantages of starting over with a native client instead of pushing the Wine-based client further beyond the limits it imposed on development. It is nice to hear that some people actually think that the old client "worked well", as we tried hard.
    But the cost of achieving and maintaining that was... high.

Multimonitor support
    You could do this: Switch to TV13, and use two parallel connections (one per screen). Wait until the repository offers you an update (few more weeks). It'll be in there. :robothappy:

Full screen
    I can't promise that for the next update, but it's on the list.
    Workaround: Personally I'm a KDE Plasma lover. One of the reasons is that you can do fancy things to any window, including fullscreening the TeamViewer remote window. (Alt+F3, more actions, full screen) :robothappy:

Cheers,
    Daniel

Linux Developer
  • Royi
    Royi Posts: 10
    Hi,
    Could you please have a TAR version which includes all dependencies so it will run anywhere?

For instance, could it include QtQuickControls inside it?
  • cxx31
    cxx31 Posts: 2

@DanielStmthanks for the update and - as many have also said - for the Linux focus. It may be a small-ish portion of your user population but it's an important one IMHO, ie: tech-savvy people who are well positioned to recommend TeamViewer further.

There are a number of users (myself included) who really miss the meeting feature but this isn't addressed in your update beyond an ominous "... when we shift our development focus to meeting", which suggests it isn't even on your radar?

There are a gazillion apps to do stuff like chatting but TeamViewer is was one of the few that supported screen sharing on Linux...

• cranesmart
    cranesmart Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited March 2022

I mostly just want the core functionality that USED to exist in 12, working in 13. 

I was forced to upgrade my licenses to 13 because a single customer upgraded their hosts. 13 is missing a ton of very basic functionality though. Can't even rename machines in your computers/contacts list.

I've asked TV for 2 months about some of this basic stuff, and haven't got a response yet. On the hunt for a new application at this point, which **bleep** because they've got me vendor locked pretty good and it'll be a massive job to get all of my clients moved over (around 800 workstations and 200+ servers, and half the workstations on mobile and never come into any of my offices).

• sglatz
    sglatz Posts: 2

Thanks Daniel for picking up on this!

@DanielStm wrote:

But the cost of achieving and maintaining that was... high.

Okay I see now what's going on. I did not realize the TW12 was based on Wine. Now it makes sense. I thought the defeaturing was just some mindless design decition by some desk hero. Sorry about that.

@DanielStm wrote:

Multimonitor support
    You could do this: Switch to TV13, and use two parallel connections (one per screen). Wait until the repository offers you an update (few more weeks). It'll be in there. :robothappy:

That's a good solution to my problem for the time being, thanks!

@DanielStm wrote:

Full screen
    I can't promise that for the next update, but it's on the list.
    Workaround: Personally I'm a KDE Plasma lover. One of the reasons is that you can do fancy thing to any window, including fullscreening the TeamViewer remote window. (Alt+F3, more actions, full screen) :robothappy:

Thats a very handy feature of KDE Plasma! Unfortunately I am using cinnamon and it does not offer anything similar. Switching the desktop environment for that however is not feasible for me. I will just have to wait. But I am glad to hear it's on the list!

• I am still experiencing problems with Linux Host.  When I connect to a Linux machine with extended display (two monitors) from a Windows or other Linux machine, the two displays are augmented together as one single display.  I do not have the option of focusing on one screen or switching between the screens.

• rosch
    rosch Posts: 6

Can you at least update the download to include the "Full Screen"?

The current version is hurting my eyes..

• malmax66
    malmax66 Posts: 4 ✭✭

@rosch wrote:

Hi,

my version has the possibility to run in a maximized window. I don't know, if there is also the choice to run it in a "Full Screen Mode" without the window-frames. But when I use maximized it has an acceptable quality :smileywink:

• rosch
    rosch Posts: 6

@malmax66 wrote:

@rosch wrote:

Hi,

my version has the possibility to run in a maximized window. I don't know, if there is also the choice to run it in a "Full Screen Mode" without the window-frames. But when I use maximized it has an acceptable quality :smileywink:

Yes I'm talking about the real full screen, without any Linux window frames.

• CSylvain
    CSylvain Posts: 13

No.