Sometimes hanging on Initializing display paramaters

Options

Both ends running Windows 10 Professional, and

TeamViewer 15.37.3 (64 bit)

Sometimes the connection is successful, other times hangs on "Initializing display parameters"

Time of day (traffic on the originating office LAN?) seems to make a difference, that is during office hours connection failure is likely, outside office hours connection may succeed.

When an attempted connection hangs, switching the local computer from the office LAN to my iPhone hotspot seems to always result in a successful connection.

Both computers are powered down at the end of the day (Windows Shutdown) and rebooted at the beginning of the day.

My suspicion is packets are getting lost somewhere in the office LAN side of things.

Searching here for "Initializing display parameters" generated a fairly short list of hits, none of which suggested something that has not already been tried.

I'm looking for troubleshooting suggestions ... is it time to open a support ticket?

Best Answer

• Clif_McIrvin1
    Clif_McIrvin1 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I opened a support ticket. Their response (below) resolved the issue.

Regarding the problem with  "Initializing display parameters."  

We want to try a few configurations to improve your remote connection experience.

Would you please go to the Options on the computer that you used to perform the remote connection?

In Options, find Advance tab > Advanced network setting, and ensure the Use UDP (recommended) is Uncheck.

Also, find the setting for More and ensure the Disable hardware acceleration is Checked. 

Once you complete those steps, please Restart the TeamViewer services to ensure the protocols change and try a remote connection again.

Answers

• gregoryd73
    gregoryd73 Posts: 1
    Options

My problem may be related, or similar ... The remote computer "hangs" on reboot, and the issue is usually a pop-up from within TeamViewer soliciting an upgrade or something similar. Before the remote computer can be accessed, the pop-up requires "local" acknowledgement. I have all the correct boxes checked for easy access, start on reboot etc. I think this is a TeamViewer issue and will talk to Support today.

• Clif_McIrvin1
    Answer ✓
    Options

I opened a support ticket. Their response (below) resolved the issue.

Regarding the problem with  "Initializing display parameters."  

We want to try a few configurations to improve your remote connection experience.

Would you please go to the Options on the computer that you used to perform the remote connection?

In Options, find Advance tab > Advanced network setting, and ensure the Use UDP (recommended) is Uncheck.

Also, find the setting for More and ensure the Disable hardware acceleration is Checked. 

Once you complete those steps, please Restart the TeamViewer services to ensure the protocols change and try a remote connection again.

• TDietrich
    TDietrich Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Did not work for me. Still hung up on initializing display parameters. Horrible

• MediaMedic
    Options

Same problems here :-(

• AMSSOFT
    AMSSOFT Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello, from what I noticed, teamviewer has connection problems when there is no monitor connected to the computer. After connecting the monitor, everything starts working properly

• JenW
    JenW Posts: 981 Moderator
    Options

Hi all,

Thank you for posting in this thread!

As @AMSSOFT wrote yesterday, our technical teams are aware of an issue with offline monitors that can affect some connections and are working on it.

The fix will be deployed with one of the TeamViewer releases as soon as a solution is found.

We strongly recommend that the TeamViewer modules installed on both sides of the connection are always up-to-date.

As you wrote both sides of the connection are running TeamViewer 15.37.3, @Clif_McIrvin1 please update the devices with the latest version and try to establish a connection.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Best,

Jen

Modératrice Communauté Francophone 💌 French Community Moderator

• Clif_McIrvin1
    Options

@JenW thank you for the heads up.

As mentioned in my follow-up comment the actions recommended by tech support resolved my issues. All my computers running TeamViewer are regularly updated.

• JenW
    Options

Hi all,

We are happy to announce that we have fixed the bug regarding connectivity issues and the monitor messages popping up.

We invite you to update TeamViewer to the latest version.

Also, feel free to have a look at our changelogs: 👉 [Windows] v15.50.5

We thank you all for your patience and wishing you a great day,

Jen

• ChrisAJ
    ChrisAJ Posts: 1
    Options

Still having this problem with mine! Both computers have been updated to 15.50.5 and I followed the steps above. I can connect from one of the computer in my studio to the computer in my office but not the other way around!

• P_Crosby
    P_Crosby Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

I too am having this same problem trying to connect. I can and do connect to other systems without issue, These other systems have and don't have monitors.

• JenW
    Options

Hi @ChrisAJ & @P_Crosby,

Thank you both for your comments. We're sorry to hear that the issue persists on your side.

Before going further into the investigation, we invite you to uninstall TeamViewer completely from your devices (if possible on both sides of the connection).

Here is the article that guides you step by step: 📄 Uninstall TeamViewer Remote on Windows

After the fresh installation of the newest version, please establish a connection and come back to us with the results.

Best,

Jen

• DiederViewer
    DiederViewer Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options

Hi,

TeamViewer on both ends on latest version 15.52.4 and set the above changes ... but still I get Initializing display parameters when connecting to my customer his system.

With the new version also often my TV session is crashing, closing when I use the Chat.

Getting slightly frustrated as this is my day to day tool in my role as customer support engineer.