Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Reassignment of unique IDs

Hi all,

TeamViewer is constantly working on the best security and service for our customers.

In order to deliver on this pledge, TeamViewer’s team and leading security researchers perform regular threat prevention analysis to identify inconsistent or suspicious behaviour within and beyond our network.

As a result of our continuous prevention analysis, we detected patterns of connection attempts that seem to be at odds with normal TeamViewer usage. As this observation was limited to a small subgroup of endpoints, TeamViewer decided to invalidate and automatically re-assign all TeamViewer IDs within this subgroup.

The precautionary measure has successfully been rolled out to full effect. For a short period of time, some users may experience service degradation, which will be resolved as soon as possible.

Best,
Esther

76 Replies
Posted by zeppo
Photon

ID suddenly changed on my computer from 9digit to 10digit and all my contacts and computers (remote) seem to be lost...

the ID suddenly changed on my computer from 9digit to 10digit and all my contacts and computers (remote) seem to be lost... HELP

Posted by glnz
Tetragon

Re: ID suddenly changed on my computer from 9digit to 10digit and all my contacts and computers (remote) seem to be lost

Same here. See the other threads about "can't log in".
TV has mad a mess of it.
Posted by raza
Photon

Re: Reassignment of unique IDs

when it will start working again?

Community Manager

Hi @raza

Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available. I do not have an ETA currently.

Thanks, Esther

Highlighted
Community Manager

[Update]: Reassignment of unique IDs

Hi all,

The implementation of today’s precautionary measure resulted in a very high server load.

A larger group of users are currently experiencing service degradation.

We are working to resolve the issue and get our systems up and running normally as soon as possible.

Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced by our users,

Esther

35 Replies
Community Manager

[Update 2]: Reassignment of unique IDs

Hi all,

We were able to resolve the server load issue.

TeamViewer services should be up and running normally again for most of our users. We will continue to monitor all systems in order to ensure mitigation is complete. Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced by our users.

Thanks,

Esther

Posted by Osaka_Mines
Electron

Re: [Update 2]: Reassignment of unique IDs

Multiple machines in the computer list have (unknown) by their name and can not be connected to....

Is this problem going to fix itself?  Or do I have to reinstall Teamviewer Host on all those remote machines?

Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

Were a small support company and have been down most of the day, the status page says fixed but i still cant access my clients. This is costing us money and broken SLA's

Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

You clearly havnt resolved the problem, I need an update, there must be an out of hours support line?

Community Manager

Hi @PHBNetworking

Thanks for posting.

To check your individual case I recommend to call my colleagues in our Florida office (+1 800 638 0253) or to raise a ticket.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best, Esther

Posted by Osaka_Mines
Electron

Hi @Esther,

There are TONS of people all reporting the same issue as me.  Unable to reach computers with (unknown) by their name in the computer list.  Is Teamviewer aware of this problem and are they working to fix it?  If it is going to require reinstalling Host on the machine, then just say so.  That way your customers can get started on it.  The level of customer support related to this issue has been ATROCIOUS

Community Manager

Hi @Osaka_Mines

Thanks for posting.

Could you please restart the TeamViewer on the affected devices?

Thanks,

Esther

Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

Just spoken to American support seems that the client ID's have been or are being changed

Hopefully will just need the end user to read out the new ID will see in the morning. Might have a look at ConnectWise as a backup remote access

Posted by Amateur
Digon

Re: TeamViewer ID Keeps Changing

Hej everyone,

I believe I have had this issue before, but was never sure if s/o else had reinstalled TV etc. Today I was DEAD SURE for the first time since I had logged on 3 days ago, and today I couldn't. The ID just jumped from 3xxxxxxxx to 12xxxxxxxx. My customer's server is 2008, and it has 2 physical NIC's, but only one of them is in use. So I don't buy the explanation of the multiple NIC's.

I have read the ENTIRE thread and can agree with everything that you wrote. Especially that a program for remote access should not do this... Have filed a support case and look forward to their response. (as a matter of fact, being a product supporter myself, I am wondering why the TeamViewer guys are not more present here!)

On a side note, I permit myelf some ranting and hope that TV will notice: I have been ben using TV for years and used to be highly satisfied. But that changed with TV13. It seems these guys have forgotten that TV is supposed to be a tool for remote access. Instead, they are trying to pile up new "features" which I don't need. Most notably (or should I say, infamous?) a new UI which techies like me certainly have not requested. Also a nuisance like changed license activation - opposed to what they wrote on the bill, I *had* to to it online and it took me quite some time before I figured that out. So, my advice to the TV guys is to be a bit more conservative when it comes to reliability/stability vs. making money.

Now waiting for the answer from support. Will keep you posted :-)

Posted by ajq
Henagon

My organization doesn't have many machines to manage so what we did to retrieve the new Teamviewer IDs was to access the C:\Program Files (x86)\Teamviewer\Version7 path using Windows Explorer. There is a file named "TeamViewer(version #)_Logfile." At the end of the file, look for an entry that states:

"Router Pong Received with following Hops: (IDNumber_1) (IDNumber_2)."

The one on the left, (IDNumber_1), should be the new Teamviewer ID for that computer.

Again, this won't work for everyone. Just wanted to contribute in case it helps anybody. At least for us, it helped for the time being.

I don't know if the ID will revert back to the previous one or not.

Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

If I get the user to right click tv icon and status would this show the new ID?

Posted by Uprightguy
Henagon

Just happened to me today in the middle of a session. Was connected then became disconnected. When ! went to reconnect it said I was blacklisted and I noticed my ID was completely different and I could not connect to any of our machines. Corporate license Teamviewer 11.
Posted by Ferum
Photon

Re: ID suddenly changed on my computer from 9digit to 10digit and all my contacts and computers (remote) seem to be lost

Same, no other solution for me now than to get to each machine in person and get the new ID.
Posted by ajq
Henagon

We have some client PCs for which we DO NOT have UNC access, but have physical access.

When we right-clicked and wrote down the ID, it didn't work for us to remote in. Part of me thinks what is being shown might not be the actual ID, or it might be in the process of being changed.

Posted by DAAPO
Henagon

Re: Reassignment of unique IDs- ALL SUPPORT IS DOWN

We cannot reach any Server which we have to support.

who is responsible and takes the recourse claims for damaging our data

@Esther wrote:

Hi all,

TeamViewer is constantly working on the best security and service for our customers.

In order to deliver on this pledge, TeamViewer’s team and leading security researchers perform regular threat prevention analysis to identify inconsistent or suspicious behaviour within and beyond our network.

As a result of our continuous prevention analysis, we detected patterns of connection attempts that seem to be at odds with normal TeamViewer usage. As this observation was limited to a small subgroup of endpoints, TeamViewer decided to invalidate and automatically re-assign all TeamViewer IDs within this subgroup.

The precautionary measure has successfully been rolled out to full effect. For a short period of time, some users may experience service degradation, which will be resolved as soon as possible.

Best,
Esther

Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

The American support guy blamed a Microsoft update and said teamviewer are a reactive company !!

Shame there not proactive like most support company's 

still not working

Posted by sopmitsupport
Digon

We discovered that any of our older installs were still offline.  We had to uninstall/reinstall teamviewer in order to get them to show online again.  25+ computers at 5 different locations.  It was the only way we could get it to work again. 

Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

100+ clients 12 sites between 1 - 4 hours away, proberly 3-4 days unpaid work

and still no real explanation or best way to get up and running  from team viewer 

left a very bad taste

Posted by sopmitsupport
Digon

Definitely not upgrading after this.  Plenty of solutions that you can get real support for.

Posted by RedShift
Henagon

Getting this as well. I have certain IDs that are whitelisted to access certain PCs and they all stopped working. Had to whitelist the new IDs. No idea if these new IDs are permanent tho or a bug..

Posted by clallen_82
Henagon

Hi Esther,

Any ideas as to when this will be rectified?? and will all PC's currently assigned as end points to my login be automatically updated with their new ID's?

Posted by drakorg
Digon

My ID has just changed by its own yesterday, I had to drive to my office 20KM to check what the heck was going. As much ridiculous as embarassing. I hope you fix this soon. I'm gonna have to install other software because apparently Teamviewer has stopped being reliable.

Man ... this kind of stuff just can't happen on production.

Posted by max1000000
Henagon

One of my PCs is still offline after outage on July 24th 2018

Hi there

All my machines came back online after yesterday's outage except for one. Is there still a problem somewhere in the system?

Thanks

Max

Posted by fjbrad48
Neutron

My ancient version 5.1.17320 just succumbed to the same problem 11 machines changed ID yesterday. These are Win8 and 10 computers. 5 clients were not affected.

Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: One of my PCs is still offline after outage on July 24th 2018

Hi Max,

I moved your post here as it is related to this issue.

It is likely this is one of the ID's that switched. Can you check the remote side and look for the new ID?

Regards,
Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
Posted by PHBNetworking
Digon

Re: One of my PCs is still offline after outage on July 24th 2018

Just had an email from one of the client companys affected, they are asking if this was a security breech and if so do they have to report it to the ICO under GDPR rules....

Gulp now now very worried. Ester do you know if it was a security breech?

Posted by tbjw
Henagon

Changed ID numbes after crash 24 juli @teamviewer

I'n not able to submit a ticket in your website. My licencekey is being rejected at the automated system, but im a commercial customer since 2014.

I support a group of customers in the agricultural world with it systems and support and also some elderly people. Since yesterday a few systems have a black status unknown in my account computerlist.

Now i sometimes use from my iphone 7+ to enable some features on site by conencting to my own system at my workshop. this one is also unknown. But i found out whats causing this.

In my adress book my teamviewer id for my own system is a 9 digit number beginning with 9. My own computer now had a new id in a 10 digit format beginnin with one. This has happend to more customers of mine.

So i now have to travel to my customers to open up the feeding computers, connect monitor keyboard and mouse to see the new ID numbers. Some are an hour drive from my shop. 

Teamviewer; changeback the id's to the old ones or atleast upgrade my account's numbers from your site. You should have a list from what youve altered.

If im going to take a tour from one day to get from customer to customer, who is going to pay for that? 

Posted by glnz
Tetragon

So the IDs on two of my PCs (on the same ISP and router) were changed.

YOU SHOULD update the IDs in your WAKE ON LAN lists.  I just did.

Posted by Kohrinn
Electron

This is some kind of a joke. I use TV daily for work purposes and now I lost some of my contacts due to this mess. TV, address this at last!
Posted by Kohrinn
Electron

Re: Changed ID numbes after crash 24 juli @teamviewer

I've got the same problem. TV is my mail work tool and I couldn't use it yesterday. Some of my client PCs are half across the country. Is this what I'm paying for?
Community Manager

[Update 3]: Reassignment of unique IDs

Hi all,

All TeamViewer systems are back to normal operations.

In case of persisting issues, please restart your device or the TeamViewer service and refer for any further questions to our support.

Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available.

Thanks,

Esther

Posted by poello
Henagon

Re: [Update 3]: Reassignment of unique IDs

Hello,

the problem is not resolved. All my clients (all connected/assigned to my account and with "simple/direct access") are shown as offline. It seems all of them got new IDs !?!?!?!?!?!

This is a huge problem that needs to be solved!

Thanks in advance!

Posted by Terabyte
Electron

MY TEAMVIEWER DEAD !?! please resolved this problem!

Posted by ajq
Henagon

Hi, Esther. Will the IDs that changed stay on the new number or will they go back to the old IDs?
Community Manager

Hi @ajq

No, the new ID will not go back to the old ID.

Thanks, Esther

Posted by NeilWeber
Electron

It's great you're thinking about security but this took our newest remote computer offline and I had to have our attorney drive out to its location and Skype me from it so I could figure out the issue. How about some sort of warning or heads up next time?
Posted by ajq
Henagon

Thank you for the fast reply!
Posted by BLH
Electron

Hi Esther,

You've got to be joking?  Reassigned ID's without any forewarning leaving us users with no way of remotely connecting to find out what on earth is going on.  In my working days this kind of action would have resulted in someone being shown the door.  I'm not surprised that your customer base is extremely unhappy.

Dreadful service.

Rgds.

Posted by Mercman_ZA
Electron

ID Change

Hi

I have a server that is running Server 2012 RE2 and Teamviewer version 13. I need to connect to that server on a daily basis but yesterday the ID changed to a different 9 digit ID and after a restart it changed to a different 10 digit ID. Is the ID going to keep on changing? This is really critical that I need quick and easy access to this server.

Regards

Posted by fabiocavallero
Electron

unknown clients - cannot use old version or reinstall and update it

Hi. In our company we use an old version of TV, 6.0 After the problem of past days we have a lot of clients with a question mark (?) on it and statu "unknown" (like other users). If I try to reinstall or client than to reconnect it on our account the system says (as usual) than I must update it to the latest version that is 6.0.17222  but tv says that ther was an error and it could not be updated - CTVUpdate failed - CInetDownload::ThreadRun - ErrorSendRequest 12031, Errorcode=12031
Did TV cut-out old version to force to buy new one?

Posted by chats
Electron

Our company uses TeamViewer to remote into over 300 computers.  We appreciate the need to change the ID for security reasons, but this is causing major issues. We have five different employees that have to remote into these computers for different reasons.  

I personally took the time to enter all the TVIDs into my console, but the other employees hadn't.  Is there a way I could export my list to share with them?  

Posted by SamMerlio
Henagon

Connection not established

Following the issues Teamviewer has earlier this week, I have found one of my clients impossible to connect to. All of their computers are blue-lit in my list of contacts, and after conversations with the clients themselves they have the app running with the same original ID number (some changed due to TV security) However I get a connection not established messsage whenever i try to connect. I have got them to restart the Teamviewer service, restart their PC's, re-install Teamviewer, all to no avail. Since the outage i have managed to re-establish contact with all but this client. Can anyone help?

Posted by BC_IT_Guy
Henagon

Which apparently now has made a LOT of Unnamed connections in my connection reports. The problem with that is, now I have NO IDEA WHO to bill for those connections!!! Am using TV 8 for some time with no problems.... BUT does this mean I have to leave thousands of $$ of lost revenue in cyberspace??? Not good TV, not good...

Posted by JFNorton
Henagon

Reassignment of unique IDs

Dear Esther, Thank you::