Reassignment of unique IDs

Esther
Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
edited May 2023 in Announcements

Hi all,

TeamViewer is constantly working on the best security and service for our customers.

In order to deliver on this pledge, TeamViewer’s team and leading security researchers perform regular threat prevention analysis to identify inconsistent or suspicious behaviour within and beyond our network.

As a result of our continuous prevention analysis, we detected patterns of connection attempts that seem to be at odds with normal TeamViewer usage. As this observation was limited to a small subgroup of endpoints, TeamViewer decided to invalidate and automatically re-assign all TeamViewer IDs within this subgroup.

The precautionary measure has successfully been rolled out to full effect. For a short period of time, some users may experience service degradation, which will be resolved as soon as possible.

Best,
Esther

Former Community Manager

Tagged:

Comments

• zeppo
    zeppo Posts: 1

the ID suddenly changed on my computer from 9digit to 10digit and all my contacts and computers (remote) seem to be lost... HELP

• glnz
    glnz Posts: 44
    Same here. See the other threads about "can't log in".
    TV has mad a mess of it.
  • raza
    raza Posts: 1

when it will start working again?

• Esther

Hi @raza

Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available. I do not have an ETA currently.

Thanks, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Esther

Hi all,

The implementation of today’s precautionary measure resulted in a very high server load.

A larger group of users are currently experiencing service degradation.

We are working to resolve the issue and get our systems up and running normally as soon as possible.

Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced by our users,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Esther

Hi all,

We were able to resolve the server load issue.

TeamViewer services should be up and running normally again for most of our users. We will continue to monitor all systems in order to ensure mitigation is complete. Please subscribe to our status page to get updates on the current status as soon as available.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced by our users.

Thanks,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Multiple machines in the computer list have (unknown) by their name and can not be connected to....

Is this problem going to fix itself?  Or do I have to reinstall Teamviewer Host on all those remote machines?

• PHBNetworking
    PHBNetworking Posts: 7 ✭✭

Were a small support company and have been down most of the day, the status page says fixed but i still cant access my clients. This is costing us money and broken SLA's

• PHBNetworking

You clearly havnt resolved the problem, I need an update, there must be an out of hours support line?

• Esther

Hi @PHBNetworking

Thanks for posting.

To check your individual case I recommend to call my colleagues in our Florida office (+1 800 638 0253) or to raise a ticket.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Hi @Esther,

There are TONS of people all reporting the same issue as me.  Unable to reach computers with (unknown) by their name in the computer list.  Is Teamviewer aware of this problem and are they working to fix it?  If it is going to require reinstalling Host on the machine, then just say so.  That way your customers can get started on it.  The level of customer support related to this issue has been ATROCIOUS

• Esther

Hi @Osaka_Mines

Thanks for posting.

Could you please restart the TeamViewer on the affected devices?

Thanks,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• PHBNetworking
    edited December 2021

Just spoken to American support seems that the client ID's have been or are being changed

Hopefully will just need the end user to read out the new ID will see in the morning. Might have a look at **Third Party Product** as a backup remote access

• Amateur
    Amateur Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hej everyone,

I believe I have had this issue before, but was never sure if s/o else had reinstalled TV etc. Today I was DEAD SURE for the first time since I had logged on 3 days ago, and today I couldn't. The ID just jumped from 3xxxxxxxx to 12xxxxxxxx. My customer's server is 2008, and it has 2 physical NIC's, but only one of them is in use. So I don't buy the explanation of the multiple NIC's.

I have read the ENTIRE thread and can agree with everything that you wrote. Especially that a program for remote access should not do this... Have filed a support case and look forward to their response. (as a matter of fact, being a product supporter myself, I am wondering why the TeamViewer guys are not more present here!)

On a side note, I permit myelf some ranting and hope that TV will notice: I have been ben using TV for years and used to be highly satisfied. But that changed with TV13. It seems these guys have forgotten that TV is supposed to be a tool for remote access. Instead, they are trying to pile up new "features" which I don't need. Most notably (or should I say, infamous?) a new UI which techies like me certainly have not requested. Also a nuisance like changed license activation - opposed to what they wrote on the bill, I *had* to to it online and it took me quite some time before I figured that out. So, my advice to the TV guys is to be a bit more conservative when it comes to reliability/stability vs. making money.

Now waiting for the answer from support. Will keep you posted :-)

• ajq
    ajq Posts: 4

My organization doesn't have many machines to manage so what we did to retrieve the new Teamviewer IDs was to access the C:\Program Files (x86)\Teamviewer\Version7 path using Windows Explorer. There is a file named "TeamViewer(version #)_Logfile." At the end of the file, look for an entry that states:

"Router Pong Received with following Hops: (IDNumber_1) (IDNumber_2)."

The one on the left, (IDNumber_1), should be the new Teamviewer ID for that computer.

Again, this won't work for everyone. Just wanted to contribute in case it helps anybody. At least for us, it helped for the time being.

I don't know if the ID will revert back to the previous one or not.

• PHBNetworking

If I get the user to right click tv icon and status would this show the new ID?

• Just happened to me today in the middle of a session. Was connected then became disconnected. When ! went to reconnect it said I was blacklisted and I noticed my ID was completely different and I could not connect to any of our machines. Corporate license Teamviewer 11.
  • Ferum
    Ferum Posts: 1
    Same, no other solution for me now than to get to each machine in person and get the new ID.
  • ajq
    ajq Posts: 4

We have some client PCs for which we DO NOT have UNC access, but have physical access.

When we right-clicked and wrote down the ID, it didn't work for us to remote in. Part of me thinks what is being shown might not be the actual ID, or it might be in the process of being changed.

• DAAPO
    DAAPO Posts: 2

We cannot reach any Server which we have to support.

who is responsible and takes the recourse claims for damaging our data

@Esther wrote:

Hi all,

TeamViewer is constantly working on the best security and service for our customers.

In order to deliver on this pledge, TeamViewer’s team and leading security researchers perform regular threat prevention analysis to identify inconsistent or suspicious behaviour within and beyond our network.

As a result of our continuous prevention analysis, we detected patterns of connection attempts that seem to be at odds with normal TeamViewer usage. As this observation was limited to a small subgroup of endpoints, TeamViewer decided to invalidate and automatically re-assign all TeamViewer IDs within this subgroup.

The precautionary measure has successfully been rolled out to full effect. For a short period of time, some users may experience service degradation, which will be resolved as soon as possible.

Best,
    Esther

• PHBNetworking

The American support guy blamed a Microsoft update and said teamviewer are a reactive company !!

Shame there not proactive like most support company's 

still not working

• We discovered that any of our older installs were still offline.  We had to uninstall/reinstall teamviewer in order to get them to show online again.  25+ computers at 5 different locations.  It was the only way we could get it to work again. 

• PHBNetworking

100+ clients 12 sites between 1 - 4 hours away, proberly 3-4 days unpaid work

and still no real explanation or best way to get up and running  from team viewer 

left a very bad taste

• Definitely not upgrading after this.  Plenty of solutions that you can get real support for.

• RedShift
    RedShift Posts: 6 ✭✭

Getting this as well. I have certain IDs that are whitelisted to access certain PCs and they all stopped working. Had to whitelist the new IDs. No idea if these new IDs are permanent tho or a bug..

• Hi Esther,

Any ideas as to when this will be rectified?? and will all PC's currently assigned as end points to my login be automatically updated with their new ID's?

• drakorg
    drakorg Posts: 4 ✭✭

My ID has just changed by its own yesterday, I had to drive to my office 20KM to check what the heck was going. As much ridiculous as embarassing. I hope you fix this soon. I'm gonna have to install other software because apparently Teamviewer has stopped being reliable.

Man ... this kind of stuff just can't happen on production.

• Hi there

All my machines came back online after yesterday's outage except for one. Is there still a problem somewhere in the system?

Thanks

Max

• fjbrad48
    fjbrad48 Posts: 1

My ancient version 5.1.17320 just succumbed to the same problem 11 machines changed ID yesterday. These are Win8 and 10 computers. 5 clients were not affected.

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi Max,

I moved your post here as it is related to this issue.

It is likely this is one of the ID's that switched. Can you check the remote side and look for the new ID?

Regards,
    Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?