Teamviewer account keeps getting "hacked"

Options

Hi all,

It looks like my teamviewer account keeps getting "hacked".

On a regular base, I receive a mail looking like this :

Uw account is recentelijk gebruikt om op dit apparaat in te loggen.
2018-08-01 11:58:53 UTC
TeamViewer ID: Management Console

Above example, is from this morning, but it might as well be from jekarerinenburg in Russia, somewhere in Hong Kong or China, ....

Everytime I recieve such a mail (and I'm pretty sure I was not in one of those locations), I immediatly change the password into another strong password (Characters (minor, major), digits, special signs, minimal 9 positions) making sure the new password does not ressemble at all the old one.

After one or two days (a week max.) I receive another mail, that my account is used again on a new (exotic) location.

My trust in Teamviewer dropped down to below zero, and I will probably remove all software + my account.

Question now (and out of personal curiousity) is : how is this possible ?  and does this sound familiar to other users ?

Thanks in advance for your swift replies.

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,051 Former Community Manager
    Options

Hi @snoop1963

Thanks for your post.

I understand your concern and I hope this reply helps you: The emails you are receiving are the so-called Trusted device emails (Find more information here.) and indeed - they indicate that someone tried to log in with your TeamViewer Account.

Changing your password often is already a very good measure to increase your accounts security.

May I recommend you to activate two-factor authentication for your account? This is also another layer of security for your account which -in addition to your password- requires a second factor (security code) to log in to your TeamViewer account. 

The trusted device offers a protection to your TeamViewer Account, but cannot protect your mailbox: if you have any doubt about your mailbox, two-facor authentication for your TeamViewer Account would make sure that only the smartphone owner can log into the TeamViewer account. 

I hope this info helps you.

All the best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• snoop1963
    Options

Hi @Esther,

Thank you very much for your swift reply.  Small additional question though ...

In your answer you say :

The emails you are receiving are the so-called Trusted device emails (Find more information here.) and indeed - they indicate that someone tried to log in with your TeamViewer Account.

Does this mean that somebody tried to log in with my account, which I don't mind, because, this is what passwords are all about, or does this mean that somebody succeeded to log in with my account, which is of course a totally different story.

Thanks again for your support.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,051 Former Community Manager
    Options

Hi @snoop1963

Thanks for getting back to me.

Whether the try was successful or not depends on whether the access was granted via the trusted device email. I assume you never trusted the devices from those ("exotic locations")-requests, right? And I also assume that only you are having access to your mailbox.

What you could do on top of that it checking the current logins with your account in the TeamViewer Management Console. Go to login.teamviewer.com --> Your name in the upper right corner --> Edit profile --> Active logins:

Login2.png

If you only see plausible locations here, everything is alright. If not, just click on the  on the right side and this will cause an immediate logout.

Hope this helps you,

Esther

Former Community Manager