Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• Este problema apareció hace tiempo, y básicamente se trata de que al conectarme a cualquier equipo veo solamente la pantalla negra. Es como si no estuviera recibiendo desde el ordenador remoto la imagen, porque desde el otro equipo puedo, por ejemplo, mover el mouse y escribir. Es básicamente como si de repente TeamViewer se convirtiera en un sofisticado teclado y mouse a distancia, sin monitor.

Este problema aparece al pasar de la versión 11 a la 12, y no se solucionan ni con la 13 ni la 14. En lo personal le adjudico el problema a alguna cuestión de video de mi computadora, que es una Lenovo YOGA 900 que tiene una resolución de pantalla muy particular, con una especie de resolución 4K (3200x1800) pero que no es del todo sincera.
    Por esta resolución particular, tan grande en apenas una pantalla de 13 pulgadas, estoy obligado a usar, por ejemplo, el tamaño de la tipografía en windows al 250%

El problema, a fin de cuentas, es que cuando usaba TeamViewer 11 nunca tuve inconvenientes, y como ahora va a dejar de estar en circulación esa versión y nuestros amigo de TeamViewer no nos permiten seguir usándolo, al pasar obligatoriamente a una versión anterior, tengo que solucionar el problema para poder seguir usando el programa.

Agradezco cualquier tipo de ayuda.

• 7leagueboot
    7leagueboot Posts: 22

Hello Esther,

Your post included "What is commercial use? – Click to find out". If you click on that link, it takes you to a pricing page so you might want to edit it.

Regretfully, your solution is a total non-solution, at least in my case, because I did complete the form and had my application rejected because the sales person who answered me said my email address belonged to a company. The fact that I am retired and have only ever used TeamViewer to assist 2 friends who are computer-challenged by their lack of skills, makes my usage well within your Personal Use parameters but, because I still use an email address that once belonged to a company (that imported stilts), I am deemed to be a commercial user.

Like I said, I am retired and the company closed down in 2013. I wonder how many other Personal Users have a company email address? And since when does one's email address dictate what you use TeamViewer for?

• VsUK
    VsUK Posts: 4 ✭✭

My friend who has only ever used TV to connect to 1 other computer in his house, that he runs 24/7 has a server for various games for friends to play with on. And the TV rep rejected his claim, claiming he was using it for business due to his email account. Which was odd, because he used a gmail account that he's had since gmail first started. 

I can see some legal action being taken. Because it's false advertising. Advertising something as free for personal use. But they make sure it's very problematic to use & ram offers to pay for something you don't need or want. 

• pv7721
    pv7721 Posts: 151 ✭✭

@VsUK : ok, good idea with the legal action, but what would you claim because the personal use was free?

• JackHK
    JackHK Posts: 86

sorry to hear that! But don't waste more time on TV and find an alternative apps.I've been filling the form and my account still blocked after 6 months!  Just to share my experience with you and my advice is don't waste time!

• RDN
    RDN Posts: 8

And now the situation is much worse than it was before I filled in the form.

I actually sent a scan of the form again, this time listing the TeamViewer IDs of my 5 PCs. And now I get logged out almost immediately I connect to one of my PCs and a notice appears that I cannot connect for another 10 minutes.

So what was the point of filling in that form? I'm retired, have 5 PCs as a hobby and now that I've filled in the form I get cut off! How in the world does that make any sense?

Would you like a picture of the 4 PCs right in front of me now? The fifth one is in the kitchen. I'm serious - would you like a picture of the 4 of them right in front of me?

I thought the idea of filling in the form was that I would never see the message about commercial use again. Instead, I still see the message and now I get cut off.

• VsUK
    VsUK Posts: 4 ✭✭

It only takes so many complaints to the relevent organisation that handles unfair or misleading advertising. Seeing as Teamviewer is based in Göppingen, Germany. An EU country, who have recently improved their laws on scrupilus advertising or offers. Because Teamviewer is advertised as "FREE" for personal use. But no where does it say, for a limited time only. And for no reason what so ever,  you get switched to the commercial use detected & they refuse to help you. Falsely claiming its being used in a commercial fashion. Despite the logs they seek, showing otherwise. 

Its false advertising or using the word "FREE" to lure people in, then after a short while, throw everything at them to try & make them pay for something that should be free. 

It makes no difference if something is paid for or offered for free. They are rules & practaces which are not allowed. And I get the strong feeling, the way TV push people down to paying for something, by making their "FREE" product virtually useless, breaks such rules.  

• 7leagueboot

@Closed account wrote:
    Okay, so how do we pursue it? Where do we go to register a complaint?

Here: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home2.show&lng=EN

However, you should know that once you have completed the form, you will be asked what outcome you expect and what damages if any you feel are due to you? To that, I would remind you that the application was supplied free of charge so, unless you have been financially affected (impossible for non-commercial use), the best you could expect is for the EU to oblige the company to respect its stated terms and conditions. Given that you have already moved to a very worthwhile competitor, is there any point?

Making an official complaint may be of interest to those with a paid license who have been having trouble with the application dropping out. It may even be useful to free users who have no desire to move to a better platform.

As someone who spent the best part of my working life in marketing, I'm just curious as to how this new strategy of theirs plays out and I'm watching with avid curiosity. It's a suicidal policy so the results are of course predictable however, on the TV forum you will only see complainers. To view the result the policy is having on their reputation, one needs to check out competitor communities, product reviews on download sites, and of course, social media.

• 7leagueboot

@Closed account wrote:
    Okay, so how do we pursue it? Where do we go to register a complaint?

Very interesting! I replied to this question providing you with a link to register the complaint and full details on why I felt you would be wasting your time. The mods appear to have deleted my post. Perhaps you received a copy via email anyway?

EDIT: My post has reappeared. Perhaps it disappeared due to the maintenance they mentioned.

• hgblade
    hgblade Posts: 1

Couldn't agree more, although I suspect that the decision to flag my use as commercial is based on even flimsier evidence than my email account - which is a standard account with no commercial relationship whatsoever. I use TV for assisting a computer-illiterate friend and have a version on my laptop and the app on my iphone. I only use the app in 'emergencies' if I'm out of the house and get a call for help, but it's now considered to be commercial use by the app. My phone only has a gmail account and gets about 2 or 3 emails per month, so I suspect TV may also be looking at the apps I use. I have Word and Excel on the phone as I have a legitimate licence for Office on my PC which permits 2 extra copies - one is taken up by my phone. Word is never used, but I use Excel for sports statistics (and my wife's supermarket list!). 

TV seem to be totally uninterested in sorting this out, so I'm now trying to find a suitable alternative.

• JackHK

Please fill in the form and wait. Good luck!

• JackHK

Agree totally!

• NickB
    NickB Posts: 9

Reading all these replies with interest, its quite a soap opera.  I'm in the same boat having used TV for years to help relatives with ad-hoc support and connect to my home PC when away - nothing remotely close to commercial use and no reply from TV when I asked for my non-commercial license to be reinstated.

Its clear that TV don't want to offer a free service any more and so why don't they just say "we're ending our free service on <date>, if you wish to continue using TV please look at our licensing options".

I recently switched to a competitor's product which I've found to be very good, in fact there are several out there which are fairly easy to find.

**Third Party Product**

• Airbag888
    Airbag888 Posts: 6

I'm ready to move on to the next best thing to be honest.. I help my wife from time to time when she's away from home or I login my home server that's about it so yeah what other alternatives are there?

I remember TV back in the v6 days.. there was  no such thing.

Also wondering what happens in the future because I have a friend with a perpetual licence for TV13 and he's been asked to upgrade one of his clients TV (10? maybe) as it will be unsupported soon.. What happens when v13 is unsupported?

Again please let us know the good alternatives

• pv7721

@Airbag888 : simply his license will stop working. For a while there was a workaround that using version 9 was stopping the warnings; but then you started getting warnings and messages that the version was going to be unsupported soon.

• Airbag888
    Airbag888 Posts: 6

What I want at this stage is find a solution where I can install a server component on my VPS and open source client on my endpoints and work from there.
    Not having to 'update' all the time when I dont care for new features AT ALL.

TV6 worked great, actually whatever version when they added multi monitor. Then after that it was just more lipstick (to me) and added software (inventory or w/e) that I do not need NOR do I want to pay a sub for...

• pv7721

@Airbag888 : yeah, I'm constantly being nagged by disk space being depleted (yes I know, I keep my disks full at more than 90% :) )

• bazbsg
    bazbsg Posts: 112 ✭✭

@NickB 

Saw your morse in the email before it was censored. Very clever - but it seems not clever enough, haha.

• pv7721

@bazbsg : if they were only so quick into fixing the real issues of the software itself...

• NickB

@bazbsg, yes, I just spotted the moderator's update too, they do seem to be spending a lot of time going through all of our posts to remove the names of competitors' products but very little time addressing the actual concerns of the TV users.

**Third Party Product**

• pv7721

@NickB : Ascii codes, neat :D

• NickB

@pv7721 don't give the game away ;-)

• pv7721

@NickB : I've seen it before, I'll give it a try, thanks!

• NickB

@Closed account, that would make it too easy for the mods :-)

• pv7721

@Closed account : google translator auto-detect language does the trick for you :)

• JackHK

Please fill that in and wait! Good luck!

• JackHK

Glad to hear that!

• Tweaker
    Tweaker Posts: 8

I actually had a lot of issues with this so called commercial use. In the middle of configuring a remote PC that has no UI.....
    I removed teamviewer for this **bleep**. I now use **Third Party Product** that DOES recognize the native resolution and works a lot better as well:-). And no more **bleep** messages!

• Fred64
    Fred64 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I have been a teanviewer proponent for many years. Now all of a sudden I am getting this timeout message after a few minutes of being connected to my partner., What is going on? Is this some new policy? "Connection blocked after timeout. Your license limits the maximum session duration to a partner, immediate reconnects are blocked. Please try later or upgrade your license. Connections to this partner will be blocked until 17:14."